• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will anyone come close to Wayne Gretzky's records?

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
I don't think anyone will ever beat him, no one will ever score 200 or more in a season ever again....

He is forever the #1 hockey player of all time.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
I don't think anyone will ever beat him, no one will ever score 200 or more in a season ever again....

He is forever the #1 hockey player of all time.

The game was different back then. I remember in the early 90s lots of players scored in the 150-160pts range but scoring was already on the decline. Lemieux came very close to a number of Gretzky's (highest #goals in a season, most consecutive games with a point, etc) records but he was always plagued with health problems. The one season he played the majority of games he got 199pts and 85 goals.

Also, If gretzky had been on a ****** team like Lemieux was, he wouldn't have put-up the numbers he did. He had the benefit of a great tream. Yes, he made it better, but the Oilers in the 80s would have been a great team even w/o Gretzky. The Penguins were crap until Lemieux dragged them in to the play-offs. The other big difference is that Gretzky was sort of off-limits in terms of how you could play him. He never saw half the harrassment on the ice that Lemieux got, even with his back injuries.

All this to say that records aren't everything and that I think Lemieux was without a doubt the better player.

You're right though. I don't think anyone will put-up gretzky's numbers again unless the way the game is played changes significantly.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gretzky never won a championship without Messier. Messier won a championship without Gretzky.

Stats aren't everything.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevin
Yes.

+1.

Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Gretzky never won a championship without Messier. Messier won a championship without Gretzky.

Stats aren't everything.

Messier was a better hockey player because he won a championship without Gretzky? Come on.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, we had this discussion at work this week. To a man we all chose Mario Lemieux over Wayne Gretzky if we were putting together a fantasy team.

That said, I can't imagine an offensive era like that of the early to mid-1980s happening again.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Funny, we had this discussion at work this week. To a man we all chose Mario Lemieux over Wayne Gretzky if we were putting together a fantasy team.

That said, I can't imagine an offensive era like that of the early to mid-1980s happening again.

I think the real competition is between the two you have listed.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I couldn't name a single record that Wayne Gretzky holds.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

Who is Wayne Gretzky?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

It's not your fault. High levels of estrogen were clearly a problem and likely lead to your early obession with liza minelli.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It's not your fault. High levels of estrogen were clearly a problem and likely lead to your early obession with liza minelli.

Liza came into my life fairly recently. The original obsessions were Tom Jones, Sinatra and The Golden Girls.
inlove.gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

Stats aren't everything.

That is like saying Michael Jordan needed Scottie pippen to win the 6 championships they won.

robert Horry has 7 championships. Right place right time

Would any of us select Robert Horry or Scottie pippen over MJ?

Not me

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
That is like saying Michael Jordan needed Scottie pippen to win the 6 championships they won.

robert Horry has 7 championships. Right place right time

Would any of us select Robert Horry or Scottie pippen over MJ?

Not me

don't think he's saying that messier was the better player. Gretzky has awesome stats, but there was one player that was better. That Lemieux was able to drag his ****** team to two Stanley cups is pretty impressive.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
don't think he's saying that messier was the better player. Gretzky has awesome stats, but there was one player that was better. That Lemieux was able to drag his ****** team to two Stanley cups is pretty impressive.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Lemieux wasn't amazing. Gretzky did have the advantage of playing with Jari Kurri, Mark Messier, Grant Fuhr, Paul Coffey, and Craig McTavish. But, I still think he was a better player.

I'm not sure that Pippen v. Messier is fair. A lot of people consider Messier to be one of the best to ever play the game. I don't think anyone could make that argument for Pippen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads