• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite ten. whiskey

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excluding cocktails, what is your prefered ten. whiskey as a straight pour?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ummm aren't the only brands of Ten. whiskey still sold JD and Dickel's?

Bourbon is 100000000000x better than Tennessee whiskey.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we need to officially hijack this thread. New topic: Favorite bourbons at different price points.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure that I'd agree that bourbon is that much better than TN whiskey, and the manufacturing process is very similar. The main difference is that TN whiskey goes through a maple charcoal filtering stage (called the Lincoln County Process). This supposedly gives the whiskey a mellower flavor. Other than that, my understanding is that bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey (at least JD and GD) are essentially the same. However, both sides happily disclaim the other, which seems to be more an issue of marketing than anything else.

I really like Jack Daniels, and often drink it before dinner on the rocks. I think bourbons give you a wider range of choices and flavors, however.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I think we need to officially hijack this thread. New topic: Favorite bourbons at different price points.

Ten. whiskey and Bourbon are two differnt things.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock

Low end: Buffalo Trace (great bourbon for the price); Makers Mark; Eagle Rare 10 yo

Mid end: Pappy Van Winkle 15 yo; Blanton's (very smooth, nifty bottle); Booker's; Wild Turkey Rare Breed

High end: A.H. Hirsch; Pappy Van Winkle 20 yo (in theory - I've never tried it)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd love to try the Pappy 20.

The bourbon I drink most frequently is probably Evan Williams, because I'm poor. My favorites, though, are Knob Creek and Wild Turkey 101. I had some Buillet recently and I thought it was very good.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'd love to try the Pappy 20.

The bourbon I drink most frequently is probably Evan Williams, because I'm poor. My favorites, though, are Knob Creek and Wild Turkey 101. I had some Buillet recently and I thought it was very good.

If you can find it, pick up some Buffalo Trace. It should only cost a few dollars more than Evan Williams, and it is very, very good. Same for the Eagle Rare 10 yo.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are probably a lot of other good ones, but I like Macallan. The 30 years ones have a lot flavor and aromas, but are very smooth, mild drinking.

Tyto

Reaction score
For Tenn. whiskey, Evan Williams Single Barrel Reserve. But Conne's right that there aren't that many choices, though I wouldn't go so far as to say bourbon's a million times better.

For Bourbon:

Low (call it $16-25): Makers, Elijah Craig 12, Knob Creek
Mid ($26-40ish): Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve, Elijah Craig 18, Woodford Reserve
High ($45+): Blanton's, Booker's, A.H. Hirsch

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
There are probably a lot of other good ones, but I like Macallan. The 30 years ones have a lot flavor and aromas, but are very smooth, mild drinking.

The Macallan is a scotch.
teacha.gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon

Macallan is scotch, not bourbon or TN whiskey. Lots of people like it, however.

Edit: Conne beat me to it.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok the thread was highjacked the reason for choosing ten. whiskey was the fact that there are only 2 brands thus the one could choose only one or the other. But even then the different brands have different levels of quality........ who cares it is about bourbon now.

The pappy 20 is very good right now and honestly it is not that expensive, iit ha benn my nightly pour for a decnt amount of time. If you want to try soemthing truly excellent try the 23 year family reserve.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know the technical differences, but I can sure as hell taste the difference between JD and any decent bourbon. I loathe JD, but I like bourbon. Blanton's is probably my favorite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads