• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acne problem? Or is it worse than that?

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
So I've been having this problem for a while now, previously it used to be a few red spots and the occasional one with slight amount of pus in it... I used to pop them in the shower using warm water and soap...

I decided that I'd use products like Clearasil, but I didn't really notice much improvement after two/three weeks of usage. So I got these Oxy clean pads with 2% salicylic acid, and the "white heads" (i wonder if it's the correct term?) has solved, and no new pimples have arrived, but it hasn't helped much either, there this patch there. To help you get a visual, here are some pictures:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3006/dsc00148lw6.jpg (left side of face)
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/4095/dsc00150oz4.jpg (right side, more problematic)

At the moment, I'm using these Oxypads, Oxy facial wash (with 10% benzoyl peroxide, though I haven't used it past two days...), and some facial wash by Nivea

As for my diet, I don't eat too many ***** foods. I'll eat the occasional chips and ice cream. I definately do get my deaily intake of 8+ glasses of water (in fact, I probably get more around 12+)

Besides not worrying about it, what could I do?

Should I not stick with such high levels of Salicylic acid/Benzoyl Peroxide? Maybe take it down a few levels (.5% salicylic and 2.5% benzoyl)?

I don't want to have spend too much money on other products...

Also, on the right side of my face, it seems to be more problematic with a large patch of darker skin... how could I solve this problem? That's my main worry, I would rather have the acne I had earlier than this...

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also (in addition to what Brian said), make sure you are not drinking any regular soft drinks. Either coke or pepsi or whatever. If you need them, go with diet. This change made the difference with me over acne or no acne. I have been acne free for a few years and still refuse anything but a diet drink. All that sugar isn't good for you anyways. Also, I no longer use any products on my face. Hope this at least helps you a bit.

ddenuto

Reaction score
Ask your GP for a topical antibiotic, it worked very well for me.

Opcn

Reaction score
Do you know whatkind of topical antibiotics?

fortune

Reaction score
If topical means what I think it means, ask or try to get Benzaclin.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
I've actually stopped using any of the mentioned products (especially that Clean and Clear product, which I think maybe the source of problem...) and noticed some improvment.

As of now it's just been soap and warm water when I wake up, when I shower, and before I sleep...

I think I'll stray away from products for a while and see how it works out.

Thanks for the replies so far anyone.

Also, if I were to resort to using some products, what should I use? Something light and won't damage skin.
confused.gif

DanTheLadiesMan

Reaction score
hrmm....you look like you might have a slight bit of scarring going on, so I would definitely see a dermatologist. I've been taking doxycycline once a day and using differin cream @ night, and my face has dramatically improved. Also, people with severe acne have found that accutane works extremely well. I would recommend staying away from harsh cleansers and exfoliants, and to never pop your zits as this will only worsen the appearance of your skin in the long-run.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure to get enough sleep. Get out in the sun every once in a while. Food does not matter. As far as medicine goes, do this:

-Wash your face gently with Cetaphil's basic cleanser at night
-Use a lot of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide after your face dries, no stronger
-If necessary, moisturize with Cetaphil's cream
-NO OTHER PRODUCTS

Try this for at least a month, maybe two. If it doesn't seem to be working you can up the BP to two applications a day. If you see no improvement after two months, see a dermatologist.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Make sure to get enough sleep. Get out in the sun every once in a while. Food does not matter. As far as medicine goes, do this:

-Wash your face gently with Cetaphil's basic cleanser at night
-Use a lot of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide after your face dries, no stronger
-If necessary, moisturize with Cetaphil's cream
-NO OTHER PRODUCTS

Try this for at least a month, maybe two. If it doesn't seem to be working you can up the BP to two applications a day. If you see no improvement after two months, see a dermatologist.

Thanks a lot dusty! I will at least try your advice before consulting a dermatologist.

*Edit*: Could you reccomend a specific cream with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide? One that you trust or know people that swear by one...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only readily available one I know of is Neutrogena's On-The-Spot treatment. It's a bit expensive since it's marketed as spot treatment, but it's what I use. I'm told that sometimes pharmacies will stock a house-brand 2.5% solution, but I've never had any luck finding one. I've been meaning to try Dan Kern's Regimen benzoyl peroxide, which gives you a lot more for the price. For further reading, my personal regimen is a simplified version of the one outlined by acne.org, which is also the site that spawned the Dan Kern brand of products.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Also (in addition to what Brian said), make sure you are not drinking any regular soft drinks. Either coke or pepsi or whatever. If you need them, go with diet. This change made the difference with me over acne or no acne. I have been acne free for a few years and still refuse anything but a diet drink. All that sugar isn't good for you anyways. Also, I no longer use any products on my face. Hope this at least helps you a bit.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but haven't they recently ruled out diet as a culprit for acne?

You know the whole "chocolate, greasy food, soda, etc." ordeal.

Raz

Reaction score
drink plenty of water look after you diet and go and see your GP

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Face transplant is the only answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads