• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do I order at a bar if I can't drink?

Jl24

Reaction score
This sounds stupid, but what should I order at a bar if I can't handle alcohol? I want to go to a bar to socialize and meet girls, but the slightest bit of alcohol kills me.

sam

Reaction score
Tonic and lime. It tastes just like a gin and tonic.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After 3 alcoholic beverages, I'm usually good to go. After that I just order diet Cokes. Whatever you do don't order a Shirley Temple if you're looking to get laid.
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ginger ale with a dash of coke - looks like a wiskey soda.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A cocktail lounge I used to frequent would make up pitchers of fresh fruit punch every night. It was different every time and always delicious. I remember one of my friends always got a glass of that for his last drink of the night even when he was drinking hard stuff.

Virgin caesars are good if you're looking for something with a bit of complexity to it.

wpdoyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sam
Tonic and lime. It tastes just like a gin and tonic.
I know it's similar, but my non-alcoholic drink of choice is club soda or seltzer with lime. I'm not a fan of quinine sans gin.
cry.gif

aybojs

Reaction score
If you don't drink, that's your business, and you don't need to be ashamed to just ask for a straight glass of soda or juice. Any decent bar should at least stock Sprite, Coke, soda water, tonic, orange juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, and possibly grapefruit juice. So basically any of those or any combination of those is what you should expect to choose from.

I'd also advise that if you plan on hanging out for a while or becoming a regular at any bar, it is definitely a good idea to visibly tip well on your drink orders, and perhaps tip on each refill you get. Not drinking alchohol is not a big deal at all, but there's a big difference between being known as "that nice guy who likes hanging out and meeting people and having a glass of soda since he can't drink" and "that cheapskate who sits alone for hours sucking down free refills and trolling for girls while taking up space that could be occupied by higher spending customers."

Kevin

Reaction score
Bottled water is also readily available at most bars, and is another good option. If you're not drinking (and there are plenty of good reasons not to), there's no reason to be ashamed. IMO you shouldn't have to order a mocktail to make it look like you're drinking; the people you're with will find out anyway.

And aybojs' point on tipping well is excellent advice. A couple of extra bucks and the bartenders will take good care of you.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought that the best thing to do at a bar if you don't want alcohol and don't want to look like a total puss or a 12 year old kid is to order a club soda.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
designated driver

I don't drink every time I am at a bar, esp. if I am driving. It's not that deep, Kids.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't go to bars if you don't drink.

Kidding, of course. Club soda might be a good idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads