• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Know This Alden Model?

pejsek

Reaction score
This is a shoe I thrifted a while back and turned up today while cleaning under the bed. I think it's a very successful design and a very beautiful shoe. The adelaide throat really works with the shell cordovan, underscoring the casual nature of the shoe and highlighting the beauty of the leather. I've looked around and haven't been able to find any shoe like this in the on-line Alden catalogs. It would truly be a shame if this design were no longer available. Any Alden experts out there care to chime in?

dsc00430mc4.jpg

Here are a couple more pictures. I think I read that vintage Hermes is now the standard background for shoe pictures. And so I bring you mallards:

dsc00431ry6.jpg

And passionflowers:

dsc00434bi7.jpg

Later on I'll see if I can dig out the mate.

pejsek

Reaction score
Surely with all the eyes trained downwards on shoes around here somebody may have sometime spotted a pair of these. Don't betray your inner shoehound.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
I have been a big Alden fan for nearly 40 years; have bought dozens. Never saw or heard about this one before-it is a beauty. I may print your pics and take them to Louie at Bennie's. He can still special order non-cordovan Aldens, but I think he has to order a dozen in order to have then make up a special model like this one.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I recall jcusey expressing surprise at my Alden specs because they were U-throat like the ones you picture above. Apparently this is a rare feature for Alden. Either that's an old model or else a special run for a particular store. Of course, Alden also used to do one-off custom orders for individual customers. It's possible it could be one of those.

I like your X lacing.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I like your X lacing.

What about my mallards?
Thanks for the helpful responses, Alan and kennethpollock. As I said originally, I'm a bit surprised that this particular sort of adelaide/u-throat is not a more common feature on cordovan shoes--the thickness of the hide provides a really interesting contrast to the surrounding leather, especially when it is added on as a whole piece. The shoes are obviously not new, but are in great refurbished condition with completely new soles and heels.
Well, I'd better go look for Alan's spectators. I must have somehow missed them the first time around.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Well, I'd better go look for Alan's spectators. I must have somehow missed them the first time around.

Everybody else is getting tired of me posting them:

p1010841pm9.jpg

p1010848jz0.jpg

pejsek

Reaction score
Wow, Alan, looks like exactly the same shoe (only in two-tone calf/reverse calf, of course). So it makes a great-looking spectator too! Nice find.

southbound35

Reaction score
I'm generally not a fan of wingtips and/or spectators (especially Alden's iterations). But I really enjoy both of those. It must be the U-throat.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man they are a sweet twist on a brogue/wingtip.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
What about my mallards?
Thanks for the helpful responses, Alan and kennethpollock. As I said originally, I'm a bit surprised that this particular sort of adelaide/u-throat is not a more common feature on cordovan shoes--the thickness of the hide provides a really interesting contrast to the surrounding leather, especially when it is added on as a whole piece. The shoes are obviously not new, but are in great refurbished condition with completely new soles and heels.

unfortunately, Hermes does not design as beautiful of pocket squares as they once did.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads