• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Cameras in Japan.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.shutterbug.net/equipmentr...kyo/index.html To the majority of used camera enthusiasts in Japan, a “classic,” or an ideal used camera, must be one that was made in Germany, or at least somewhere in Europe or the US. Mass-produced Japanese cameras, sometimes called “Nicanolympaxes,” are too ubiquitous, too commonplace, and hence lack that important halo of exclusivity. I think the exception might be the Nikon rangefinders.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I went to a 2001 Leica show at an art museum in Tokyo and it was breathtaking. I believe it was considered the premiere private collection of Leicas. It was a visual history of the photography world.

Sadly no sexual assault on the train from Ueno.
wink.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I went to a 2001 Leica show at an art museum in Tokyo and it was breathtaking. I believe it was considered the premiere private collection of Leicas. It was a visual history of the photography world.

Sadly no sexual assault on the train from Ueno.
wink.gif

There's also a rather considerable Leica collection in the Bay Area. Palo Alto's Keeble Shuchat camera store has a large collection of Leica items on the second floor.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
There's also a rather considerable Leica collection in the Bay Area. Palo Alto's Keeble Shuchat camera store has a large collection of Leica items on the second floor.

Interesting...may be in the Bay Area again soon and have to check it out. The collection in Tokyo was over a hundred cameras, many priceless.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it may seem a bit high but it is said that about 50% of all antique leicas exist in Japan. Also LK if you are ever in Tokyo you would probably die if you checked out some of the camera shops in Ginza. Quite a few beautiful old ones. camera shops in Ginza. Quite a few beautiful old ones. Most all are German or Euro models and almost all in very good shape for being old.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
LK, what do you think about the new Ikon? Jon.
I handled one a while ago and it had a really nice viewfinder. However, like many of the great camera names, this isn't a true Zeiss as it's manufactured by Cosina and seems to use Leica lenses--a suitable irony as Zeiss and Leitz were huge competitors during their heyday. It would seem not dissimilar to the Bessa line of cameras which also uses a past great name of Voigtlander as its "brand". In fact, Zeiss used to boast of its 1/1250 speed on the Contax and that the Contax didn't have any external moving parts as opposed to the Leica screw-mount cameras. However, the M rather put the Contax out of business; and besides, Zeiss was concentrating on its exceptionally complex and expensive Contarex SLR which was something of a failure. After that, the camera division closed.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

In fact, Zeiss used to boast of its 1/1250 speed on the Contax and that the Contax didn't have any external moving parts as opposed to the Leica screw-mount cameras. However, the M rather put the Contax out of business; and besides, Zeiss was concentrating on its exceptionally complex and expensive Contarex SLR which was something of a failure. After that, the camera division closed.

Very nice:

162725263_6f64b2c4a5_o.jpg

Not as nice:

shiftc.jpg

Jon.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Very nice:

162725263_6f64b2c4a5_o.jpg

i was close to buying one of these a couple of years ago, but the salesgirl told me it did not function, and they were unable to repair it. the shop actually had 2 or 3 of them, but they were only being sold as collectibles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads