• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Omega Watches

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm not very keen on gold-filled or plated cases.
Same here, I'd rather have solid gold (even low karat) or steel.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That appears to have a restored dial which usually means a lower price for collectors.
...but a higher value for wearers.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any other vintage watch brands with a similar look to the Omegas that might be got for $200 or less? These Omegas are beautiful, and an object of lust for me, but I simply can't afford one right now.
eh.gif

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MunnyGuy
I have an OMEGA Speedmaster Professional that I wear daily and it takes a beating. The Speedmasters use an acrylic/plastic face in lieu of Quartz (I read somewhere it had to do with the watch being used in Spaceflights) It scuffs and scratches like a mother (also due to the raised face). I am a FIRM believer in Meguiars Plastx as well
worship.gif
It makes the face damn near perfect!!! To polish the Stainless Steel Watch body and band I use WEIMAN METAL POLISH
metalpolish.jpg
Plastx%20big.jpg
Just apply and wipe off... Beautiful results!!! I love OMEGA and anticipate you will too!
smile.gif

Meguiar makes a really quality product. I'm going to get some of the Weiman's. Thanks!

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MunnyGuy
I have an OMEGA Speedmaster Professional that I wear daily and it takes a beating. The Speedmasters use an acrylic/plastic face in lieu of Quartz (I read somewhere it had to do with the watch being used in Spaceflights) It scuffs and scratches like a mother (also due to the raised face). I am a FIRM believer in Meguiars Plastx as well
worship.gif
It makes the face damn near perfect!!! To polish the Stainless Steel Watch body and band I use WEIMAN METAL POLISH

Just apply and wipe off... Beautiful results!!!

I love OMEGA and anticipate you will too!
smile.gif

I have the same watch. The crystal scratches like crazy, but is more shatter resistant than saphire. Thanks for the tip regarding the cleaning!

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Are there any other vintage watch brands with a similar look to the Omegas that might be got for $200 or less? These Omegas are beautiful, and an object of lust for me, but I simply can't afford one right now.
eh.gif

Well, there are lots of vintage watches out there for less money than the Omegas. Let's see what some forumers can come up with. One brand that springs to mind is Hamilton, although I haven't checked prices. Bulova is another.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
eh.gif

Depends on which Omega look you like I suppose. Longines would be worth a look around that price point, something like this but in stainless would be a great start imho http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150145084342

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
Depends on which Omega look you like I suppose. Longines would be worth a look around that price point, something like this but in stainless would be a great start imho http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150145084342
That's a pretty watch. There was a time, wasn't there, when Longines was considered a high-quality brand?

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Same here, I'd rather have solid gold (even low karat) or steel.
Even though I appreciate your aversion to gold-fill, gold- fill is a great deal better than vermeil. Most of the wear I've seen on gold-fill is at the edges where a high acid wearer has etched away the base material. If you can find a case with little wear, it is usually priced the same as the case with corrosion, it could be a good deal depending on the other factors.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mark, my impression has been that "gold-filled" is an ambiguous term--or let's say one that is used loosely and imprecisely. Is there, to your knowledge, an agreed-upon, or perhaps, regulation-mandated definition of it?

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Mark, my impression has been that "gold-filled" is an ambiguous term--or let's say one that is used loosely and imprecisely. Is there, to your knowledge, an agreed-upon, or perhaps, regulation-mandated definition of it?
I was speaking recently with a watch collector friend about gold-fill. We were wondering about how gold-fill is done. Neither of us knew. How do they get it around the lugs? I haven't seen a standard for thickness but gold-fill is a sheet of gold bonded by heat and pressure to a base metal although a lesser precious metal is sometimes used. All the cases I've seen have been brass. Gold-fill usually has a fraction with the hallmark indicating the gold weight of the material as a whole, like 1/12 14k gold-fill.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also: Wittnauer(made by Longines), Gruen.

If Omega dive watch is your thing, then Olma, Seiko(6306/9)...

At that price range, certain Rado, Tissot, Movado are also worth a look.

eh.gif

Originally Posted by Roger
Well, there are lots of vintage watches out there for less money than the Omegas. Let's see what some forumers can come up with. One brand that springs to mind is Hamilton, although I haven't checked prices. Bulova is another.

Originally Posted by Omegablogger

Elgin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads