• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray suit pink shirt

Medvald

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I like to wear pink shirts with gray suits, both striped, windowpane and plain. My problem is that I am never happy about the ties I use with this combination. Blue with pink stripes or gray with pink dots, it does not work as well as say a blue suit, pink shirt and blue tie with pink in it. So I am looking for members opinion about what sort of a tie to wear with gray suit and pink shirt. Thanks. M

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Burgundy. The darker it is, the easier it is to coordinate. I don't think I would wear a tie with any pink in it with a pink shirt. A little too precious. Or, at least, it would look off with a gray suit. With a summery blue suit, maybe.

cpac

Reaction score
ties in grey (different shade or a different texture), black, burgundy, purple, and even a medium blue could all work well.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black grenadine

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for black. If solid or grenadine is a bit too austere for your taste, find black ties with a discrete neat pattern (I am always on the lookout for these and finding nice ones is surprisingly difficult).

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one place I really like a tie with green ground, especially if the suit is a medium shade of gray. As for the pattern on the green tie, I think they look best in yellow or red, whether they be stripes or dots or whatever.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
While I like the black grenadine idea as well, and occasionally like to wear three solids, it's a look that could get boring pretty quickly. Once in a while.

P.S., even better (IMO) is a navy/midnight suit, pink shirt, and black grenadine tie.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Medvald
Gentlemen,

I like to wear pink shirts with gray suits, both striped, windowpane and plain. My problem is that I am never happy about the ties I use with this combination. Blue with pink stripes or gray with pink dots, it does not work as well as say a blue suit, pink shirt and blue tie with pink in it. So I am looking for members opinion about what sort of a tie to wear with gray suit and pink shirt. Thanks. M

If youre after something that objectively looks pleasing maybe just a solid medium to dark grey (with or without a woven pattern in the tie's fabric), A green tie, maybe not a kelly green but a bottle green, a forest green or like a petrol color with or without pink on it. I always liked either navy or black ties with red spots or geometrics on them. Sometimes, depending on the pink, a bright red tie (Like an Hermes or Ferragamo style print), while not correct from a feminine color approach pov, can provide a pleasing and more masculine look.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Black grenadine
thats my vote as well.
Originally Posted by Manton
While I like the black grenadine idea as well, and occasionally like to wear three solids, it's a look that could get boring pretty quickly. Once in a while. P.S., even better (IMO) is a navy/midnight suit, pink shirt, and black grenadine tie.
eh..i dont know. i cant picture that. I do like the Navy/Midnight suit with pink shirt because I've worn it. i'll see how the tie looks. good lookin!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got the same thing going on... here's a few combos I've found and liked:
- just plain grey suit, pink shirt and then brown belt and shoes, or try
- Grey suit, pink shirt, Black tie (polka dots, checks, etc) and a black pocket square with black belt and shoes
- I've also got a mostly light purple tie with a pink floral pattern (agreed with the above that a pink tie is over the top, but a hint of it in the pattern pulls it together)
or I also have a multi-stripe tie with black, then grey, then pink... (Mexx)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics