• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car totaled, need new 1, BMW vs Lexus

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
My GF is looking into buying a CPO 2006 GS300 listed at $38,500. How much do you think she can negotiate with a dealer to take off from the list price?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
I've looked at both the new BMW coupe (turbo) and the new IS. They are different cars. As a current BMW (5 series) owner, the "feel" of the BMW drive was preferable. However, I like the IS styling and reliability. I decided to forego either at present. I'm waiting for the "F" model IS to debut to compare how it drives to the BMW 3 series.

A car purchase should satisfy your logical, economic, and emotional needs -- sometimes this requires balance, but for most of us these three elements will never weigh "equally." You've explored the logic and presumably the economics -- it looks like a test drive is in order to resolve the emotional aspect of your decision.

Ah, yes, 'F' for ******* UGLY!
baldy[1].gif

20070110-012-up-img.jpg

20070110-013-up-img.jpg

20070110-015-up-img.jpg

http://www.unitedpictures.com/event.las?event=822

Jon.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that bad, the only things that look off are the vertically stacked tailpipes and the excessively large widebody in the front.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Ah, yes, 'F' for ******* UGLY!
baldy[1].gif

Jon.

Yeah, Lexus is making a ricer. Even though the specs sound good, this is ******* hideous:

20070110-014-up-img.jpg

rajesh06

Reaction score
I am also in the market trying to pick between an '08 535 and Infinit m35x. Drove both - love the M35 - I would suggest you do the same.

Now if I could only sell my current '03 325 (53K mi).

excellence

Reaction score
Yeah man. Trust me 335i won't let you down. I love that damn car.
It handles like no other. It's 335i or M3. No other!
Go with your heart brother. The 335i is simply breathless.
Procede Vishnu ECU chip cranks that car to 420HP!

The stock 335i can leave a mustang in the dust, the 335i acutally beats SEVERAL cars on the market with the 300hp.
I've drove IS + 335i, 335i feels like there is so much power that just goes up, UP, UP!
Telling you. Gotta love the turbo + torque....

Get a White, silver or black 335i. If I had a silver one i would call it the SILVER BULLET no doubt.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
How a car accelerates, handles curves, holds the road, etc. -- not a terribly cryptic concept.

He said he is on his second RX350, hardly a car purchased for handling capabilities. Some people value utility over handling, nothing wrong with it either.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
He said he is on his second RX350, hardly a car purchased for handling capabilities. Some people value utility over handling, nothing wrong with it either.

Agreed. Like I said, I have a Chevy Suburban. (Technically, I own one back in the States. It's not like I'm driving such a behemoth around Tokyo.)

But the question is whether to buy a BMW or a Lexus, so I assumed the OP placed some value on performance characteristics. If so, BMW is the only real choice.

Andrew's allowed to like whatever he likes for whatever reasons (not as if he needs my permission).

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the question is whether to buy a BMW or a Lexus, so I assumed the OP placed some value on performance characteristics. If so, BMW is the only real choice.

Well said. I actually think these two marques are compared only by the perceived luxury and price point. They are very different animals as far as comfort, handling, styling, etc.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed. Like I said, I have a Chevy Suburban. (Technically, I own one back in the States. It's not like I'm driving such a behemoth around Tokyo.)

Andrew's allowed to like whatever he likes for whatever reasons (not as if he needs my permission).

True enough Red.

Anyhoo, the more valid comparison would be RX 350 vs. X5, not any of the coupes. Th

Though, my parents have owned both the LS400 and the 750i, and I haven driven both extensively, they each have their distinct advantages and I would happily drive either.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine why anyone would consider a Lexus. I drove one a few years back that had such horrible understeer it made moderate curves feel like hairpins at speed. My Chevy Suburban handled better.

Originally Posted by aportnoy
Jeez. I like my car and really never gave it much more thought than that.
smile.gif

Not much into the driving experience, I take it.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
rolleyes.gif

You'd opt for the Lexus over the BMW, then?

In the same way you can't explain with words to a KC shoe wearer how better is to walk on a pair of EGs, in the same way you can't explain with words how better feels a BMW.... they have to experience it
laugh.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
In the same way you can't explain with words to a KC shoe wearer how better is to walk on a pair of EGs, in the same way you can't explain with words how better feels a BMW.... they have to experience it
laugh.gif

Driven a Rexus lately? I'm a huge Bimmer fan, but for people who appreciate the ride and comfort, a Lexus hits the spot very nicely. The new LS460 is one of the nicest rides in the world -- at any price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads