• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single Link Cuff

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching The Great Gatsby and noticed a preference for single (not French) linked cuffs. A quick search revealed them to be mentioned only in Kabbaz's guide to formal dressing; are they more formal than French cuffs and thus too formal for business and everyday wear (given that one observes the rules of formality)?

Also, do any RTW shirtmakers offer them? I prefer their crisp edge to the folded double cuff.

dagenham

Reaction score
i have actually seen a single link cuff in a casual shirt by crosby, hallen & cobb. classic blue stripe and red stripe. they also fit really well.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Japan, I see single link cuffs a lot. I rarely see double, french cuffs though.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
In Japan, I see single link cuffs a lot.

000f70a2.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I have a Zegna Napoli Couture XXX shirt that has single cuffs. You can see them, although not terribly well, in this old WAYWN pic:

p1010122vf7.jpg

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one shirt with cuffs like that. However I don't remember what the maker is.

demo5

Reaction score
I had Carl Goldberg make me a couple. I don't like them as much as a French cuff... chain and double-sided links are too long for them. Cuff buttons work best, but I only have a couple of pairs of cuff buttons I like.

wedgehead98

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I have a Zegna Napoli Couture XXX shirt that has single cuffs. You can see them, although not terribly well, in this old WAYWN pic:

p1010122vf7.jpg

Does single link cuff mean that the cuff fabric does not fold back such that 4 layers of cuff are held together? Only 2 layers of cuff material?

Noob Alert!

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wedgehead98
Does single link cuff mean that the cuff fabric does not fold back such that 4 layers of cuff are held together? Only 2 layers of cuff material? Noob Alert!
That's precisely what it means. Not as much of a newb as you may think.

wedgehead98

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
That's precisely what it means. Not as much of a newb as you may think.
I think I would like that quite a bit.

I only have single sided links with relatively short cross pieces.

Seems like it would be a touch less formal, although the length of the cuff would have to be shorter so that the fabric doesn't bow out on the ends for lack of support in the absence of the fold.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single link cuffs should be made with a thicker interlining to retain the heft lost by not being doubled. In the history of shirts, single link cuffs are considered the most formal. They are far more formal than folding French cuffs and the only proper cuffs for full dress wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads