• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skinny Arms? Something to wear on hot days?

excellence

Reaction score
I have a nice load of short sleved t-shirts but the thing is that my arms are really skinny...
frown.gif

I'm an asian guy, so my arms don't exactly get that big.

I'm a skinny build type of guy so I was wondering what exactly can I wear during the summer other than oversized t-shirts with my jeans?

Any positive input would be greatly appreciated!
smile.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's not because you are asian. its because you are weak.

try a size small

excellence

Reaction score
Give me a break man, Im only 18. I'm like 6'0 tall and skinny. It's not that bad like skinny skinny but still.
Size small will make my arms look even more skinny wouldn't it?

capnpyro

Reaction score
No contrast is what makes you look small. Same as standing next to a big guy will make you look small.

And being asian isn't an excuse, my roommates chinese and stronger than the average bear. It's called going to a gym, watching your diet and taking supplements.

excellence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro
No contrast is what makes you look small. Same as standing next to a big guy will make you look small.

And being asian isn't an excuse, my roommates chinese and stronger than the average bear. It's called going to a gym, watching your diet and taking supplements.

Like no, I'm asian and I'm skinny. I do work out but my arms still look thin you know what i mean? I can't be flexing all day trying to make my arms look big.

So your serious eh? Go with a small size shirt? Cuase I'm scared its going to make me look even more skinny.

I'll give it a shot and ill see.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellence,

I understand your concern, and the best solution, in my experience, really is to hit the gym a bit and eat more food. Even a small amount of muscle added to your upper arm is enough to transform the way t-shirts look on your body.

In the meantime, if you want to avoid showing off skeletal upper arms in the summer, one option is to wear a long-sleeve button-up with the sleeves rolled up to just below the elbow.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
it's not because you are asian. its because you are weak.

Oh shut up
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by excellence
Like no, I'm asian and I'm skinny. I do work out but my arms still look thin you know what i mean? I can't be flexing all day trying to make my arms look big.

So your serious eh? Go with a small size shirt? Cuase I'm scared its going to make me look even more skinny.

I'll give it a shot and ill see.

Snap a pic. Maybe you aren't that skinny.

p.trick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by excellence
Give me a break man, Im only 18. I'm like 6'0 tall and skinny. It's not that bad like skinny skinny but still.
Size small will make my arms look even more skinny wouldn't it?

I'm in the same boat: 6'0" with a high metabolism (and Asian as well, but that only means we have genetically superior hair and a nice skin tone when lightly tanned).

Wearing clothes that are too big for you just make you look even skinner because you don't completely fill the garment. On top of that, you give the impression that you can't dress yourself properly or that you can't afford to buy clothes that fit so you're borrowing your dad's or something.

I always stick to my actual size (Small) for tops for proportional sleeve lengths and to avoid excessive folding on my back in addition to the reasons outlined above. Wearing slim jeans not only give shape to my legs, but also broaden my shoulders. If girls ask me why I'm so skinny, I just tell them I'm all muscle and brandish my bicep.
laugh.gif

As Asch suggested, wearing L/S shirts works as well if you want to hide your arms altogether. Cotton and linen are fine for summer.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Son, just take advantage of your height and build instead of trying to hide it. Its like trying to straighten curly hair. It just never looks right. Wear skinny clothes and show off your length. Obviously, they don't have to be skin-tight but I'm sure you can pull off clothes that are cut close to the body. Never tight, just slim. Look at Chris. He's a master of that look. You don't have to copy him but look at the way he plays with proportions. AND, please don't wear anything baggy on top unless its some kind of soft knit that drapes. Reserve those loose tees and sweats for the gym.

excellence

Reaction score
what toufu?

Thanks for all the information guys, I'm going to work out more. Yeah and I have noticed I have a really fast metabolism... I'm barely any fat, pretty much mussle.
I'll try picking out some small clothes and see how it goes, I have really broad shoulders. So people generally think I'm a pretty big guy, but I'm pretty skin the upper torso. I wear a 29 waist jean.

But I will take everyones suggestion into consideration and see what I can work out. When im done, I'll snag some pics!
smile.gif

Thanks all.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
It's the same reason that a short person doesn't want to wear a suit and pants that are too long. No one looks good when they kid themselves. You have to take advantage of your actual size and be realistic with yourself. Properly fitting clothes will flatter you and make you look a lot better than hiding in oversized stuff. It's the same reason kids look even younger when they're hiding in their big brother's hand me downs instead of getting clothes in their size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads