• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, God, it hurts! (Veyron Crash!)

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I don't understand why people are bitching about this car's styling. The body is function over form. Yes, it's not as appealing as, say, an Enzo; but it whoops all the supercars like its bitches.

How can that bathtub be function over form? If it were, it wouldn't need 1000+hp to push it through the air at 200+ miles. It is simply designed to appeal to the bling generation. Dynamically it has nothing on the Carrera GT or the Enzo or even a Lotus Exige. Anyone who has taken a car to the track understands that having traction to brake and turn, the torque to pull out of corners, and a light chassis that is responsive to all those inputs, are what make cars fun to drive. How many miles over 200 can a car go is only relevant on paper.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
How can that bathtub be function over form? If it were, it wouldn't need 1000+hp to push it through the air at 200+ miles. It is simply designed to appeal to the bling generation. Dynamically it has nothing on the Carrera GT or the Enzo or even a Lotus Exige. Anyone who has taken a car to the track understands that having traction to brake and turn, the torque to pull out of corners, and a light chassis that is responsive to all those inputs, are what make cars fun to drive. How many miles over 200 can a car go is only relevant on paper.
Watch Top Gear much?

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Watch Top Gear much?

No, but I do have 5 years of experience doing track events and have built a dedicated track car using a E36 M3 chassis. Perhaps insignificant compared to your experience with cars?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
No, but I do have 5 years of experience doing track events and have built a dedicated track car using a E36 M3 chassis. Perhaps insignificant compared to your experience with cars?
I wasn't asking if your last name was Schumacher, I asked if you had seen a BBC TV series. They time trial a different car, sometimes several, every episode using the same driver on the same course typically under similar conditions. The Veyron really held its own. It's worth checking out online as several websites have episodes streamed, you know, when you're not working on your dedicated track car using a E36 M3 chassis.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, perhaps going over 250mph is only relevant on paper. It seems that's enough for every single one of its owner. VW could've built another Carrera GT, or Enzo, or Koenigsegg, but it didn't. It set out to build the most crazy and technologically advanced car in the world, and it succeeded. Personally, I do like the way it looks, and many others do. Does your opinion matter? Probably, but only to yourself.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yeah, perhaps going over 250mph is only relevant on paper. It seems that's enough for every single one of its owner. VW could've built another Carrera GT, or Enzo, or Koenigsegg, but it didn't. It set out to build the most crazy and technologically advanced car in the world, and it succeeded. Personally, I do like the way it looks, and many others do. Does your opinion matter? Probably, but only to yourself.
Agree, considering VW created the Lemans record breaking W12 Nardo supercar.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Veyron wasn`t designed to be another race car for the street (like Enzo, etc.). It was designed to be fastest GT car, and it does the best job in the world. It`s more of a mechanical masterpiece than a beautiful race car that goes fast around the track.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
The Veyron wasn`t designed to be another race car for the street (like Enzo, etc.). It was designed to be fastest GT car, and it does the best job in the world. It`s more of a mechanical masterpiece than a beautiful race car that goes fast around the track.
Very true, the interior alone proves that.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have nothing against the Veyron, in fact, I'm rather indifferent to it. It's not a very beautiful car in my eyes (I know my opinion matters little to some), and while it does perform, it does with inefficiency. In the years to come, this is a car that is more likely to become an automotive curiosity rather than a classic. And if my crystall ball is correct, Bugatti is unlikely to stay in VW's hands for long.

Though I do apologize if my original comments seemed extreme. Perhaps referring to it as a Roman bath house would have caused you less emotional distress?

Chasey

Reaction score

that's one possible explanation, but also keep in mind that VW actually sells them to people at a loss. if you take the cost of all the research and development divided by the number of cars that have been sold so far, they still lose something like $3-4 million on each one. so I don't know if they would really design the car to appeal to anyone necessarily, because their goal doesn't seem to be to sell a bunch of them and turn a profit, it just seems to be for publicity and developmental purposes. maybe bragging rights more than anything else. :p

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against the Veyron, in fact, I'm rather indifferent to it. It's not a very beautiful car in my eyes (I know my opinion matters little to some), and while it does perform, it does with inefficiency. In the years to come, this is a car that is more likely to become an automotive curiosity rather than a classic. And if my crystall ball is correct, Bugatti is unlikely to stay in VW's hands for long.

Though I do apologize if my original comments seemed extreme. Perhaps referring to it as a Roman bath house would have caused you less emotional distress?

Who cares if they stay with VW or not.

Actually, if I was a collector, the Veyron would be one of the first modern cars I would buy. It will be one of the few modern cars today that will be one of the most sought after classics when the time comes. Like some other posters already pointed out, this is a car that is sold at a huge (millions) loss. They are actually worth close to $5million. It is not meant to be an efficient car. It is meant to be the best.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Have you ever been inside a Veyron?

Jon.

I've only witnessed it from the autoshow, unfortunately the doors were locked, and my bank account doesn't afford me the luxury of truly enjoying it in all its splendor.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I've only witnessed it from the autoshow, unfortunately the doors were locked, and my bank account doesn't afford me the luxury of truly enjoying it in all its splendor.

Well, I've been in 2 of them, and while of course the interior is very, very nice. IMHO a Ferrari's 612 or F430 interior is simply nicer. The leather feels better, the controls feel more solid and even the shifting paddles feel better then you pull them. The Veyron feels a bit lifeless compared to a Ferrari. It's almost as someone took a perfectly put together Audi / Bentley interior and simplified it while at the same time removing all the life from it.

I like the Veyron, A LOT, but the interior is definitely not one of its selling points.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads