• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 911 GT2

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One Japanese car that had an edge over a European counterpart was the old Datsun Fairlady which had a gearbox designed by Porsche. Its competition were the English MGs and such.

and a nice design copied from Jaguar
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
and a nice design copied from Jaguar
smile.gif

The Datsun/Nissan Fairlady roadsters have always been their own car. I don't think you can fairly compare their designs more than extremely superficially to a Jag. In fact, if anything, the pre- Z Fairlady's owe more to the MG and Austin Healy than anything else, if in fact such a comparison were even logical.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
The Datsun/Nissan Fairlady roadsters have always been their own car. I don't think you can fairly compare their designs more than extremely superficially to a Jag. In fact, if anything, the pre- Z Fairlady's owe more to the MG and Austin Healy than anything else, if in fact such a comparison were even logical.

The Fairlady Z concept was made to be a poor man`s E-type, and the design was taken directly from there.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
The Fairlady Z concept was made to be a poor man`s E-type, and the design was taken directly from there.
The Fairlady Z concept was designed by Albrecht Graf von Goertz. The same person who designed the 2000GT. He had started designing the 2000GT for Nissan in 1960 before the E-type had even come out. So if anything, Jaguar ripped off his design for the E-type. The Fairlady Z was also based on the design from 1960. Although, like I said before, they are really very different cars. Comparing pictures of them reveals nothing more than a superficial shape similarity which has more to do with them all being GT cars than anything else.
jaguar_e01.jpg
JapaneseFairladyZ1970.jpg
a03_11_1_7_2.jpg

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
The Fairlady Z concept was designed by Albrecht Graf von Goertz. The same person who designed the 2000GT. He had started designing the 2000GT for Nissan in 1960 before the E-type had even come out. So if anything, Jaguar ripped off his design for the E-type. The Fairlady Z was also based on the design from 1960. Although, like I said before, they are really very different cars. Comparing pictures of them reveals nothing more than a superficial shape similarity which has more to do with them all being GT cars than anything else.

jaguar_e01.jpg

JapaneseFairladyZ1970.jpg

a03_11_1_7_2.jpg

Sorry I forgot all about the 2000GT (on of my favorite Japanese cars). The E-type came first, then the 2000GTs mission was to copy the E-type, but make it better (as you can see from the design). The Z was a cheap version of the 2 more expensive cars (E-type and 2000GT)

Here`s a good overview on how it all happened;

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/c1...son/index.html

Like you said, the Nissan Z and Toyota 2000GT designs are much related, because they were working together in the beginning. The E-type debuted in 1961, well before the other 2 so the original honors has to go to the E-type. All of the documentaries I have seen of the 2000GT and Z mention that the designs were copied from the E-type too.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never liked those stupid spoilers that Porsche put on their cars around 75(?). And, the ones that rise automatically as speed increases are no better looking.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
I've never liked those stupid spoilers that Porsche put on their cars around 75(?). And, the ones that rise automatically as speed increases are no better looking.
I can understand from an aesthetic perspective, however due to their design (rear engine) , at high speeds it become almost necessary.

Look at the history of the 911, and the role the front and rear spoilers played into their performance.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I can understand from an aesthetic perspective, however due to their design (rear engine) , at high speeds it become almost necessary.

Look at the history of the 911, and the role the front and rear spoilers played into their performance.

Also, the whale-tails are iconic. Their culmination in their last true form ended with the 993 turbo, and its sublime whale-tail.

112_0605_ptw_05z+porsche_classic_whale_tail+side_view.jpg

112_0605_ptw_06z+porsche_classic_whale_tail+side_view.jpg

112_0605_ptw_07z+porsche_classic_whale_tail+side_view.jpg

112_0605_ptw_08z+porsche_993_classic_whale_tail+side_view.jpg

Jon.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Also, the whale-tails are iconic. Their culmination in their last true form ended with the 993 turbo, and its sublime whale-tail.

Jon.

The whale-tail is so effective it's been copied to stabilize other back ends as well.

Whale_Tail.jpg

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Southern-Nupe: I understand the need for the spoilers. I Just think they could design them to be both functional and beautiful. Maybe Frank Loyd Wright could help.
smile.gif

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

112_0605_ptw_05z+porsche_classic_whale_tail+side_view.jpg

112_0605_ptw_06z+porsche_classic_whale_tail+side_view.jpg

112_0605_ptw_07z+porsche_classic_whale_tail+side_view.jpg

112_0605_ptw_08z+porsche_993_classic_whale_tail+side_view.jpg

Jon.

That's simply orgasmic.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
Southern-Nupe: I understand the need for the spoilers. I Just think they could design them to be both functional and beautiful. Maybe Frank Loyd Wright could help.
smile.gif

I know where you're coming from, after the 993, the tail began to take on more of a boy racer appearance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads