• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best value sports car under 100k?

rpatrick

Reaction score
Better late than never...

I think that for exclusivity, practicality, reliability. exclusivity/exoticism, etc., that the NSX is hard to beat, esp. if you can find a Zanardi edition mentioned earlier. Daily driver like a Porsche, but sexy like an Italian exotic.

If it's good enough for Gordon Murray, it's good enough for me!

Don't get me wrong, Porsches are very nice -- we own a 1989 928 S4 (Dove Blue) which I absolutely adore, but it's a GT, otherwise I'd recommend it -- but Boxsters, Caymans and 911s are EVERYWHERE. Also, the newer models don't get my blood racing like older ones, I don't care how much horsepower they have.

Roy

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rpatrick

I think that for exclusivity, practicality, reliability. exclusivity/exoticism, etc., that the NSX is hard to beat, esp. if you can find a Zanardi edition mentioned earlier. Daily driver like a Porsche, but sexy like an Italian exotic.

Don't get me wrong, Porsches are very nice -- we own a 1989 928 S4 (Dove Blue) which I absolutely adore, but it's a GT, otherwise I'd recommend it -- but Boxsters, Caymans and 911s are EVERYWHERE. Also, the newer models don't get my blood racing like older ones, I don't care how much horsepower they have.

Roy

Out of the current batch of Porsche's, the Cayman is the one closest to a "˜race car', its mid-engine and weight distribution combined make it an absolute pleasure to drive.

Jon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Roy

I lurv the 928 s4. Fantastic car. Re: the nsx, I'm just not sure I like the styling too much. I haven't seen one in person for a while but it doesn't transcend the 80s like say a testarossa or your 928 s4 does.

rpatrick

Reaction score
Yes, styling is a really personal area;, one of those heart-wins-over-head deal breaker areas, so fair enough.

And Jon, I also fully understand from my reading -- mostly Car and Driver -- that the Boxster/Caymans are more fun to drive than the 911s, and so are a good relative bargain.

And thanks for the comments on the 928. I suppose I could feel dissed/pissed that it's not given the respect/attention of 911s, but then it wouldn't have been such a bargoon.

Roy

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, styling is a really personal area;, one of those heart-wins-over-head deal breaker areas, so fair enough.

And Jon, I also fully understand from my reading -- mostly Car and Driver -- that the Boxster/Caymans are more fun to drive than the 911s, and so are a good relative bargain.

And thanks for the comments on the 928. I suppose I could feel dissed/pissed that it's not given the respect/attention of 911s, but then it wouldn't have been such a bargoon.

Roy

The Cayman is better than the Boxster, the roof adds a lot of stiffness.

I love the last 928, the GTS, it truly was a great car:

di_800_dr02.jpg

Jon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Roy

It's dumb to start thinking like that. That's how you end-up over-extended with a car you can't afford. I would drive a 928 over many more recent cars and when I do finally by a car, which won't happen till i actually need one, I'm not going to base my decisions on the stereotypes of the owners who drive them.

rpatrick

Reaction score
As long as we're in the $40- $60 k area, another car that I hear only good things about is the Honda S2000. Revs like a banshee, rwd, handles VERY well, clean sharp lines -- I think... and lots of room for customizing.

Would you even consider that?

And no, I don't work for Honda. Just a fan of their products/philosophy since latching onto F1 in the 80s. They're similar to Porsche I think, in their independence and stripped aesthetic when it comes to sports cars, of which, admittedly, they've made two, if you don't count want to count the Prelude.

rpatrick

Reaction score
Re: dumb to think like that.

Thanks, but I didn't mean it to come out that way. I am not hung up on public perception -- good or bad -- and am damn proud to own one. It's basically, a hand made, clean sheet modern Porsche. Can't beat that for $30k CAD.

Actually, we never considered the 911 at the time, which was 1999. My spouse -- bless her soul -- had always loved them and even still has a poster of one in her parent's house.

Although I also loved the 944, the 928 was really what we set our sights on. We hope to pass it on to our kids.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy

I honestly thought I was one of the few, but the 928's are easily one of my favorite Porsches, especially the GTs versions, they were simply a car too ahead of their time.

As for the the 100K mark, a 993 twin turbo or Z06 may suffice. If I was in the UK, a TVR Sagaris would make me happy.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
What are your thoughts? Your choices should be based not just on performance, but looks, cost, maintenance costs, etc. You can pick old ferraris, new porsches, or anything else that suits your fancy.

EDIT: that is actually desirable and not a fugly corvette :p

To be honest the new Z06 is a beast, and has a pretty good racing history.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best value? Z06, STi/Evo, S2000, and Miata

Chasey

Reaction score
well if you wanna go a taaaaad bit above the 100k marker, I would seriously look into the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I think it's something like 105k or 110k.

otherwise I would get a Carrera Cabrio (S or C4 or whatever else there is) or even a Cayman.

the BMW 650 convertible is really sexy and so is the Mercedes SL550, but my god, everyone and their grandma (literally) has an SL depending on where you live.

also, please, don't get a Z06 or a Miata or a S2000 (no offense to the guy that posted them all, I just really hate them) or even a BMW Z-whatever. they all look like go-carts, and the Miata is a joke, and the S2000 is like... wtf... and the corvette is just a redneckmobile and the Z's are like the BMW's that no one really takes seriously.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
To be honest the new Z06 is a beast, and has a pretty good racing history.

Maybe, but it's a Vette. I won't even race a vette in a video game. :p

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chasey
well if you wanna go a taaaaad bit above the 100k marker, I would seriously look into the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I think it's something like 105k or 110k.

otherwise I would get a Carrera Cabrio (S or C4 or whatever else there is) or even a Cayman.

the BMW 650 convertible is really sexy and so is the Mercedes SL550, but my god, everyone and their grandma (literally) has an SL depending on where you live.

also, please, don't get a Z06 or a Miata or a S2000 (no offense to the guy that posted them all, I just really hate them) or even a BMW Z-whatever. they all look like go-carts, and the Miata is a joke, and the S2000 is like... wtf... and the corvette is just a redneckmobile and the Z's are like the BMW's that no one really takes seriously.

The OP asked for good values. The AM V8 Vantage is not a good value as a sports car, and neither are the other cars you listed. They are all show and no go. The other cars I listed are all spectacular values when you consider the criteria.

Would I own a Miata or Vette? Hell no, but I cannot deny the performance they provide at a relatively low cost.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BMW Z8
Ferrari 456
Porsche 928
Honda 2000
Maserati Quattroporte

As I prefer big coupes I would go for the 456 great value and it's usable everyday but the Quattroporte is a beauty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads