• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kallun, I think you're taking SuperBobo's comment a wee bit too personally. Typically, if someone wears a t-shirt and some pre-distressed to hell jeans around here.. they're lambasted and denigrated by just about everyone. You, however, were not. The assumption is that your ability to escape the mockery is attributed to your body type. The outfit could have been stereotypically AmJack, hence the A&F comment (it is in a lot of cases, I have a friend who is in love with D&G pre-distressed jeans). The fit was good on the tee; the jeans weren't my style but then again, some things I like may not be yours.

I like the Spencer Hart fit.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
KalluN, the Hart fit looks great, prefer it without the tie.

Did you get that shirt MTM as well, or is it OTR?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kallun
With all due respect SuperBobo. It is NOT D&G jeans but mainline jeans, the difference in cut, distressing and quality is huge! The Tee is choosen beacuse I tink the fabric (which is thin and floppy) falls nicely and because the fit is good.

I do not really see your argument... could´nt all clothes just be "A&F and whatever"??

Your own looks (which I like a lot by the way) could aslo just be "A&F and whatever" but they are´nt and that is all the difference!

/TKL

since I dont generally wear pre-distressed jeans and muscle fit tees, I dont feel my style is that A&F close as yours, and you also seem to have missed the point.

edit:
you´re outfit today ofcourse doesnt look A&F and havent anything to do with what I said.

kallun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
kallun, I think you're taking SuperBobo's comment a wee bit too personally. Typically, if someone wears a t-shirt and some pre-distressed to hell jeans around here.. they're lambasted and denigrated by just about everyone. You, however, were not. The assumption is that your ability to escape the mockery is attributed to your body type. The outfit could have been stereotypically AmJack, hence the A&F comment (it is in a lot of cases, I have a friend who is in love with D&G pre-distressed jeans). The fit was good on the tee; the jeans weren't my style but then again, some things I like may not be yours. I like the Spencer Hart fit.
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
since I dont generally wear pre-distressed jeans and muscle fit tees, I dont feel my style is that A&F close as yours, and you also seem to have missed the point. edit: you´re outfit today ofcourse doesnt look A&F and havent anything to do with what I said.
Well I am a little offended by the idea that it is my body that prevents the look from being bambasted! What I reacted to (and still do) is that A&F wear in my opinion could not accomplish such a look. A&F has cheap and badly done distressing etc. I think that SuperBobo are completely wrong in thinking it looks A&F (although I respect if he does not like the outfit per se) and I am surprised that he does not see the difference between these items and A&F. The point I try to make is; sure one can wear clothes that are similar to those produced by A&F or Zara or something but what this forum is all about is to discuss and be able to pick the difference and that difference is what distiguishes the look. I highly respect SuperBobo as a good dresser (although not in a style I presonally wear) and a gentlaman in his comments, maybe that is why I was taken by surprise
smile.gif
I think I avoid the AmJack look in this case by choosing a great jean (I will try to take clos-ups later so to show better the completely handmade distressing, again not D&G!) and a nice tee. Regarding SuperBobos edit on his last post: But does todays look resemble Zara/HM then if not A&F?? and is the positive remark made by for example Get Smart due to "my body"?? /TKL

kallun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
KalluN, the Hart fit looks great, prefer it without the tie.

Did you get that shirt MTM as well, or is it OTR?

Thank You!

Shirts are "MTM´d RTW´s" meaning I most often get them RTW and have SH take in the waist/hip area. I have a few MTM as well but do not really consider them better in fit.

/TKL

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kallum
you missed my point if you understood it as that I claimed its wrong to wear cheap/mall clothes or that I criticizied it for looking "cheap" (personally I mix alot of cheap H&M styled stuff, thrift and more expensive clothes. Im sure you´re wardrobe is alot more expensive than mine). I critiziced it for looking bad and the aesthetic beeing close to A&F which is often understood as the anti-thesis of styleforum approved taste. If theres a sublime difference in the quality of distressing between A&F and D&G it doesnt really matter to me.

I dont often make it my buisness to criticize others outfits,but in this case it struck me as very weird that that kind of look got good feedback along with comments about you could wear anything with your body...

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did I start here? I guess no one really understood the subtlety in my original comment. It was basically a back-handed insult (towards the jeans). I'm with Superbobo, with regards to me seeing absolutely no difference in the distressing process used by D&G and A&F, and the intended results. I generally like your fits Kallun, so I mean no offense. I just think that on SF, posting jeans that are the sartorial equivalent of rancid meat is going to draw a lot of disdain, especially since it's difficult to discern the difference between those jeans and 'mall-brand' jeans. But I still do not think that anyone meant any harm by saying something 'negative' about those jeans. Comments are rooted in personal preference, and are also meant to be helpful, not divisive.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kallun, I think the main thing is that people on this forum don't like pre-distressed jeans. Those with mild distressing that look natural like 5EP get a little love, but still not that much.

Kinda modern-trad today:

Zegna
Saint Andrews
R&B
Zara

46628183zv0.jpg

kallun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
kallum you missed my point if you understood it as that I claimed its wrong to wear cheap/mall clothes or that I criticizied it for looking "cheap" (personally I mix alot of cheap H&M styled stuff, thrift and more expensive clothes. Im sure you´re wardrobe is alot more expensive than mine). I critiziced it for looking bad and the aesthetic beeing close to A&F which is often understood as the anti-thesis of styleforum approved taste. If theres a sublime difference in the quality of distressing between A&F and D&G it doesnt really matter to me. I dont often make it my buisness to criticize others outfits,but in this case it struck me as very weird that that kind of look got good feedback along with comments about you could wear anything with your body...
Originally Posted by GoSurface
What did I start here? I guess no one really understood the subtlety in my original comment. It was basically a back-handed insult (towards the jeans). I'm with Superbobo, with regards to me seeing absolutely no difference in the distressing process used by D&G and A&F, and the intended results. I generally like your fits Kallun, so I mean no offense. I just think that on SF, posting jeans that are the sartorial equivalent of rancid meat is going to draw a lot of disdain, especially since it's difficult to discern the difference between those jeans and 'mall-brand' jeans. But I still do not think that anyone meant any harm by saying something 'negative' about those jeans. Comments are rooted in personal preference, and are also meant to be helpful, not divisive.
I get you guys and I appreciate the comments! Do NOT hesitate to critizise my wear that, is why I post. I am as much against the AmJack look as you are. I think that I do stay on the right side of the line in this particular outfit (but agree that the line is thin here) mostly as the jeans are´nt "the sartorial equivalent of rancid meat" which equally distressed D&G and A&F certainly are. If you guys disagree however, and find them equally bad to the latter two then that is of course as valid as my opinion! Good discussion me thinks! /TKL

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kallun
I get you guys and I appreciate the comments! Do NOT hesitate to critizise my wear that, is why I post. I am as much against the AmJack look as you are. I think that I do stay on the right side of the line in this particular outfit mostly as the jeans are´nt "the sartorial equivalent of rancid meat" which equally distressed D&G and A&F certainly are. If you guys disagree however, and find them equally bad to the latter two then that is of course as valid as my opinion! Good discussion me thinks! /TKL
I think it's also difficult to determine the quality of pre-distressed jeans from pictures. I tend to agree with the other posters regarding D&G stuff, though. I find Dolce & Gabanna mainline to be like DSquared in that while they are expensive, the distressing doesn't appear to be natural and does give off a bit of a eurotrash vibe.

ayn

Reaction score

• derome brenners
  • john varvatos
  • omega speedmaster co-axial gmt
  • fullcount 1108
  • kc long wallet and chain
  • chucks

kallun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think it's also difficult to determine the quality of pre-distressed jeans from pictures. I tend to agree with the other posters regarding D&G stuff, though. I find Dolce & Gabanna mainline to be like DSquared in that while they are expensive, the distressing doesn't appear to be natural and does give off a bit of a eurotrash vibe.

Very true about the pictures.
smile.gif

/TKL

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I think a major misconception on these forums is that everyone here is looking for help in their dressing.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drizzt - The best I've seen from your casual looks thus far. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads