• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was at a cub's game this week, and had an Old Style beer from a can - the first time I've had a beer from a car since I visited Matt, and the second time in the past 5 years or more.

not bad, nothing I would go out of my way to drink, but I guess the perfect type of beer to have on a hot evening while watching a baseball game and eating a hot dog with everything.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I am surprised you find it nasty. It seems to me to be designed to be as unobjectionable as possible.

I've always thought that Becks was the most watered down, blandest tasting beer in existence. It's not bad if the temps are 30C+ and I'm at a BBQ. If I'm sitting down and wanting to enjoy my beer, there are a lot better choices out there.

I know a lot of people who don't like Guinness. It's like the red and white wine divide. I can tolerate white, but cannot stomach red; but then, I'm not really a wine drinker.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I am surprised you find it nasty. It seems to me to be designed to be as unobjectionable as possible.

I don't really like beers that are too light I suppose and this one is just too light and weird tasting. Common beers that I won't drink: Bud, Coors, Rolling Rock, any "light' beer. I drink Becks, Heineken, Fosters, Sam Adams, Saporo, etc.

I didn't realize those were bland. But, if beers like Heineken and Becks can be described as bland (as they were) then I suppose I like bland beers.

EDIT: I should also add that I drink beer as a regular thing. I don't like to squish it around my mouth and savor the flavor of the hops. I don't care for the "rich wheaty flavor" or "aromatic taste with a hint of [enter weird mountain herb]." I like to come home, open up a cold one, eat a steak and watch a game. I guess my bland beers do that job just fine.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I've always thought that Becks was the most watered down, blandest tasting beer in existence. It's not bad if the temps are 30C+ and I'm at a BBQ. If I'm sitting down and wanting to enjoy my beer, there are a lot better choices out there.

LOL, reminds me of what my college roommate used to say about Weidemann's: "If it's really, really cold and you drink it really fast, it's not that bad at all."

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a microbrewery once and tried one of their special beers. They served it warm and all that. I thought it tasted like ass, so I went down the street to a regular bar and asked for a cold Becks. That's how I roll.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
Usually, my faves are Stella or Guinness, but when I can get my hands on some Windhoek Lager from Namibia, I would say that is the best and my favorite.

Originally Posted by RJman
Trappiste Rochefort. A man has to have a good beer source.

At a cafe I might have a Meteor, because I like the name.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am a big white beer fan - mostly blue moon now, hogarten when available, some of the whites out of munich, when available.

my absolute favorite is alt beer, from a real barrel - when they pour the beer with gravity.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
Duvel
Schneider Aventinus
Sierra PA
Arrogant Bastard/Double Bastard
Anchor Steam
Spaten Weisse
Ommegang
Fin du Monde
Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout

I can say that guinness categorically tastes like watered down ashtray rinse to me. Heineken is one of the most hein-ous beers in america. I would only drink it if I was in viet nam and it was served over ice. Asahi or the other japanese lagers are only good with food, I would not choose to drink it alone, although Kuronaga is good. Blue Moon tastes like Ommegang mixed with Evian, yuck.

Originally Posted by A Canuker
www.innisandgunn.com tried it once and have never looked back. TASTY.

Originally Posted by Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio
I would add any Chouffe to the list, Hefeweissbier Dunkel if you can find it on tap (The Saloon in DC is a good place), and Saison Dupont with food.

Tarmac, great choice with the Aventinus--incredible beer. Same with the Spaten and the Sam Smith stout for that matter.

EDIT: Goose Island makes great beer for their price. And the Reserves are also worth looking into--the Bourbon County Stout is one of the best and strangest "beers" I've ever had.

pscolari;604743 said:
Originally Posted by Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio
I would add any Chouffe to the list, Hefeweissbier Dunkel if you can find it on tap (The Saloon in DC is a good place), and Saison Dupont with food.QUOTE]

I agree with the Chouffe recommendation, especially on tap if you can get N'ice Chouffe or Mchouffe. The only exception is Houblon Chouffe which I detest.

Vive la Chouffe!

Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Probably one I've never tasted. But Unibroue's lineup comes pretty damn close to experiencing Beervana. Last time I was in the US, I almost went mental with the variety of regional microbrews you guys have and the low prices.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Originally Posted by SGladwell
My overall favorite is probably Schneider und Sohne Kristalweissen, with a lemon. Damn near impossible to find in the US, though one can find other Schneider beers and other Kristalweissen. I've never had a Kristalweissen I didn't love, but they're hard to find.

As for what I generally buy, if Pilsner Urquell's on sale I'll get it. If not I'll generally take home Trader Joe's house-brand Vienna Lager. It tastes a lot like Gosser.

Originally Posted by dah328
With one or two exceptions, none of the aforementioned beers are very strange or exotic. Not served at every single bar, sure, but easy enough to find at a place with a respectable selection.

The Texas part of me wants to endorse the Shiner Bock choice earlier in this thread, but I find it nothing more than an average bock. I vacillate between dark beers (porters/stouts) and wheat beers. Among the more commonly available dark beers, Guiness and Sierra Nevada porter are my favorites. The quality of a Guiness tap and pour varies widely and as a previously poster mentioned, a poor one will taste like ashtray rinse. Among common wheat beers, my favorites, in order, are Schneider Weisse, Franziskaner Hefeweissen, and Paulaner Hefeweissen. Both Blue Moon and Hoegaarden have too much of an acidic finish. The Belgians should stick to Trappist ales. The Heinekens and Sapporos and Yeunglings and Stellas of the world are all decidely bland and useful only when in locales where the water is not potable and respectable beers are not available.

You're right, as usual.
sarcasm.gif

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
LOL, reminds me of what my college roommate used to say about Weidemann's: "If it's really, really cold and you drink it really fast, it's not that bad at all."

My friends and I use to put bottles of Kokanee in the freezer, take them out, and then shotgun it. It was probably the only way I could finish a bottle of that stuff.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am with sadness not, to read more Pilsner U. , or any, Staropramen .

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And for Ronald L.' s piano, man at Cafe Sabarsky (of Austria), Gosser.

migo

Reaction score
hoegaarden is my current favorite.

Anyone every had a brass monkey? (drink a 40 down to the label, fill it back up with orange juice)...it becomes the biggest alcoholic orange soda ever...a tasty way to get messed up (extremely cheap too, used to do it all the time freshmen year of college)

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a microbrewery once and tried one of their special beers. They served it warm and all that. I thought it tasted like ass, so I went down the street to a regular bar and asked for a cold Becks. That's how I roll.
You roll like a Beck's marketing associate?

Anything's OK if it's cold enough. Even -shudder- Coors light.

(extremely cheap too, used to do it all the time freshmen year of college)
As a freshman, I once traded a CD for two Steel Reserve 22s and a Bud Light 22. I'm better, now.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
+1. Here we have been inundated with Anchor Fart for years and it is undrinkable.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
You're right, as usual.
sarcasm.gif

I don't know where you hang out. For all but four or five (several were added while my post was being written) I could name several different NYC bars that serve it.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
You roll like a Beck's marketing associate?

Anything's OK if it's cold enough. Even -shudder- Coors light.

As a freshman, I once traded a CD for two Steel Reserve 22s and a Bud Light 22. I'm better, now.

Oh, I'm sorry - I guess if someone prefers a regular beer instead of Old Chavenauflickmynutsafarragen then they must be a marketing associate.
rolleyes.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads