• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers I could wear to the office with a suit

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never wear sneakers with a suit. However, I was in the market for something similar a year ago when I was travelling. I wanted a shoe that I felt comfortable walking around in all day, but that I also felt was reasonably dressy for a nice meal. I searched forever and came up with a pair of Campers that I liked. Campers aren't for everyone, but I thought these were fairly basic. They seemed to do the trick for me. This is the only site that I could find that still carries the particular model. http://jackyshoes.com/product_info.php?id_modele=1086

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by qiviut
My JM Weston Golf Oxford is very comfortable. It has a rubber (ridgeway) sole and quality leather. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...d.php?p=561514 Perhaps you'd like the JM Weston split-toe on ridgeway (rubber) sole viewable on www.jmweston.com.
I bought those Weston Golfs from Roger and they are nice shoes. I think they look great with jeans and I'd wear them with a suit in foul weather and still be better shod than most.
westonsju2.jpg

beasty

Reaction score
If you dare, you can wear Mihara's half shoe from his main line not his Puma collaboration. it is half a normal shoe from the front and a sneaker at the back.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
I bought those Weston Golfs from Roger and they are nice shoes. I think they look great with jeans and I'd wear them with a suit in foul weather and still be better shod than most.

westonsju2.jpg

The Range Rover of shoes.

lpwb32

Reaction score
i also work in the finance industry and our dress code is casual, not even business casual. i havent seen my boss yet today but since its friday my guess is he'll be rolling into the office in a golf shirt and shorts with boat shoes. i like to dress up so for me i think in terms of dressing one notch above the norm. if people are in shorts, i'll do jeans. in terms of footwear that means a dressier sneaker like the OP is looking for, loafers, or a casual-looking oxford. so in regards to the comment that sneakers should NEVER be worn in business casual environment, lets not presume that everybody is required to dress the same way. its fair to say that not being properly attired is definitely a way to ruin your career, but we shouldnt presume that the definition of properly attired for everyone is XYZ. in the OPs case, properly attired for him is probably ABC. quite frankly if i were to show up in the office every day looking like the WAYWN posts, my boss would think i'm 1) dressed too stuffy, 2) interviewing for another job so in this case, it would be a DETRIMENT to my career!
tounge.gif
something here might work http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/cat...egoryId=311819 the only pair of cole haans i have is a g-series sneaker which is very comfortable. its clearly a casual shoe and feels like my nike sneakers which is hardly a surprise. i cant vouch for it holding up for 10 yrs like a pair of quality dress shoes but i think we're comparing apples and oranges. otherwise i think loafers is the way to go! chuck taylors and purcells simply arent comfortable imo. its like walking barefoot.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgeftman
I typically wear suit pants and a button-front, suit-type shirt (e.g., Pink, Tyrwhitt) when it's hot.. and suit pants and a button-front, suit-type shirt under a sweater when it's colder.

I'm actually thinking about wearing suits -- the pants I wear now with the jacket -- and they're suits that are fashionable and flexible (i.e., ones that can be dressed up and look serious or ones that can be dressed down for going out).

I'm also hoping to get suits made in Bangkok when I go over there for the first stop on my honeymoon in October/November:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=40105

We didn't assume. He supplied the above details.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I'll make this quick. I work in financial services as well in NYC (an investment bank to be exact.) I would never, and I mean never, wear sneakers into this building under any circumstances during a regular business day, and especially not with a suit.

lpwb32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
We didn't assume. He supplied the above details.

given that he only mentioned the dress code was business casual and he was considering sneakers, the only information we have is that it probably is appropriate or he wouldnt be considering it.

i'm not necessarily responding to your comments josepidal because you merely gave the suggestion that maybe a dress shoe but in rubber sole would work be just as comfortable. agree wholeheartedly and that is what i do myself.

my comments were more of a response to the post that said anyone wearing sneakers to an office should be sterilized or that i would never have an employee that dressed like that. the point is the OP doesnt work for you, he works for his company.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Puma 96hours has a wingtip shoe coming out.

rgeftman

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the business world's VIPs for taking time out of their days to reply to my original post.

Fact is that there are some horrible dressers at my company -- and I see more of them around the greater Wall Street area whenever I don't have a lunch meeting and have time to go out and grab lunch, so I'm not sure the issue's specific to my company.

If I had an important meeting with an outside client or even someone at my company I was trying to win favor with, I would wear shoes and a suit (of course). But on most days, when I'm doing work at my desk and/or meeting with members of my team, there's less need to wear that same "uniform."

Thanks for all of the serious suggestions (e.g., Paul Smith, Steven Alan, rubber sole shoes, JM Weston, upcoming Pumas) -- I'm going to check them out.

I think some Chelseas might be in my future..

To that end, does anyone have any suggestions about Chelseas that have rubber soles and look good while not being so hip that they'll be out of style in six months?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are rubber soles that important?

I walk at least 7 to 10 kilometers during work because a car would be useless with all the traffic present and leather soles and then after work at least another 10 kilometers are put on often the same boots and comfort hhas never been a problem.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To that end, does anyone have any suggestions about Chelseas that have rubber soles and look good while not being so hip that they'll be out of style in six months?
Check out the RM Williams thread; a kangaroo leather chelsea with no rear seam and a rubber sole might be the dressy but sporty thing you're looking for.

Gary Drinkwater over here in Boston recommends Paraboot for that look, too.

Scarphe: I figured he was doing a lot of running around inside the office, too.

Lpwb32 (can we cut it with the code word usernames?): In fairness, maybe the title that referred to sneakers with suits was misleading in an exaggerated way.

lpwb32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Lpwb32 (can we cut it with the code word usernames?): In fairness, maybe the title that referred to sneakers with suits was misleading in an exaggerated way.

my full name is louis pendragon wickerbottom but i thought lpwb was more efficient.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I appreciate all of the business world's VIPs for taking time out of their days to reply to my original post.

Fact is that there are some horrible dressers at my company -- and I see more of them around the greater Wall Street area whenever I don't have a lunch meeting and have time to go out and grab lunch, so I'm not sure the issue's specific to my company.

If I had an important meeting with an outside client or even someone at my company I was trying to win favor with, I would wear shoes and a suit (of course). But on most days, when I'm doing work at my desk and/or meeting with members of my team, there's less need to wear that same "uniform."

Thanks for all of the serious suggestions (e.g., Paul Smith, Steven Alan, rubber sole shoes, JM Weston, upcoming Pumas) -- I'm going to check them out.

I think some Chelseas might be in my future..

No need to be snippy at people who are simply answering a question you asked.

I would never wear sneakers of any type with a suit, in the same way I would never wear leather captoes when playing basketball. Just because the others in the office dress horribly, does not mean that you need to also. Regular business dress shoes are not that much of a commitment. yes, sneakers are more comfortable but then why bother with the suit? Wear shorts and a tank top, how more comfortable can you get. Just like some of the others here, I work in the NYC finance industry and a person wearing sneakers would definitely stand outm and not in the good way, at any of the companies where i have worked. if you don't care or if your job is super laid back, then it doesn't really matter. If you do care enought to wear a suit, why put sneakers on?

There are uniforms in all aspects of life. The streetwear guys wear a uniform, you wear a uniform in sports, and the business world wears a uniform.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads