• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I Guess I Have a Problem

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me first say my girlfriend of 4 months now is an absolutely beautiful greek girl, with loads of style and class as well. After all this time she has never really commented anything on the way I dress, less the two times she complimented how nice my shoes were
smile.gif
. Today though at lunch she starts telling me about her preferences on the way men dress (no real super disapointing opinions, just stuff like she hates white pants), so my quesion is: Is she trying to start influencing my style with hers, or just sharing opinions with someone who shares a love of clothing?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah, I just posted about the white pants in a different thread. I personally don't like the look, but some guys can pull it off. Maybe your girlfriend thinks that you're not one of those guys. I'd take her advice into consideration, but still go with your own style.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Hah, I just posted about the white pants in a different thread. I personally don't like the look, but some guys can pull it off. Maybe your girlfriend thinks that you're not one of those guys. I'd take her advice into consideration, but still go with your own style.

she thinks no guy can pull it off, she says "White pants make men look like perverts". I didn't ask, but I wondered if this opinion came from a personal experience.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no issue with white pants, but I do prefer cream.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
she thinks no guy can pull it off, she says "White pants make men look like perverts". I didn't ask, but I wondered if this opinion came from a personal experience.

I tend to agree with her.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i dont mind white pants per se, just that most white pants or dress pants are very sheer. you can see your panty /underwear line through it (not at all bad for women) and i dont like that. also , if you are dark-skinned the white is not pure, it comes out looking offwhite due to the skin color coming through the sheerness.

that is why i dont like white pants; the one day they make a pair of white pants that is not sheer i would think about getting it. because bruce lee in his movies when he dealt with america he wore tight white pants.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no idea Bruce Lee dealt with foreign policy questions.

At any rate, do you like white pants more than your girlfriend? Pretty easy equation for me.

Chauncey Gardner

Reaction score
Well, back to your original question, which was not whether we liked white pants but I gather was about whether your girlfriend was trying to impose her pet peeves and tastes on you or simply making an off-handed remark. I'd say to that, if you like white pants then wear them, as long as they fit your style, and that way if your girl likes the way you normally dress she'll see how nice white pants can be and appreciate your style panache.

It's easy to dislike white pants because so many people look so bad in them, but that's because of their style to begin with. Admittedly, being a Virginian prejudices me in favor of white pants of all varieties, and I find they can be extremely versatile. Parisians stand out in my mind for their love of white pants and generally look grand in them, summer and winter.

I might also mention that this summer I've enjoyed wearing cream pants from Ralph Lauren's "feather weight" line, which also includes in the same fabric a pure white and a vivid blue as well as about 7 shades, yes, of khaki. To me, summer pants are above all about a comfortable weight that suits the weather.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i dont mind white pants per se, just that most white pants or dress pants are very sheer. you can see your panty /underwear line through it (not at all bad for women) and i dont like that. also , if you are dark-skinned the white is not pure, it comes out looking offwhite due to the skin color coming through the sheerness.

that is why i dont like white pants; the one day they make a pair of white pants that is not sheer i would think about getting it. because bruce lee in his movies when he dealt with america he wore tight white pants.

This is a good point. They also get dirty too quickly for most parts of the world. Maybe in some parts of the States, it is possible to wear them since life is pretty much car-work-car-going out-car-home.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
Let me first say my girlfriend of 4 months now is an absolutely beautiful greek girl, with loads of style and class as well. After all this time she has never really commented anything on the way I dress, less the two times she complimented how nice my shoes were
smile.gif
. Today though at lunch she starts telling me about her preferences on the way men dress (no real super disapointing opinions, just stuff like she hates white pants), so my quesion is: Is she trying to start influencing my style with hers, or just sharing opinions with someone who shares a love of clothing?

If you change you style for her she will appreciate it but she will also lose respect for you. Good luck.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love white pants. I don`t think your GF is trying to change the way you dress. She was probably just talking in general.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I love white pants. I don`t think your GF is trying to change the way you dress. She was probably just talking in general.
+1. I have three pairs although two are technically off-white.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
most women want to dress up their man. until they have a baby to dress up.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ah the old age question: when a woman makes an opinion, does the man look at it as just that- an opinion, or a strong suggestion?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I have no issue with white pants, but I do prefer cream.

Connedue, you gotta stop posting sentences that include "I do prefer cream" if you ever want to undo the whole gay image thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads