• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Alden Cordovan Monk Strap

tdial

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I am obsessed with this shoe. What are your opinions?
954.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and so you sohuld be. it is great.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It is a fine shoe. But I must confess, when it comes to monk straps I generally prefer what the Brits do with them:
368handgrasavile.jpg
1829_comayfair.jpg
Of course, you're not going to get cordovan from them, or the look of that Alden. By no means would I turn down those Aldens if someone wanted to give me a pair. (anyone? anyone?) When it comes to Alden cordovan, this has been the object of my desire:
AF39.jpg
*sigh*

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the Alden monkstrap. I think the strap is too thin.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's in the Aberdeen last, same as the tassel and full-strap loafers, which has a nice shape to it. They're quite handsome, but I'm predisposed toward Aldens.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I like the V-shaped quarters. I do wish, however, that the quarters came closer together so that the strap didn't have to be so long and that the buckle was rectangular instead of D-shaped. All in all, a good but not outstanding shoe.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the Alden monkstrap. I think the strap is too thin.
I was always wondering why I felt something was wrong with the Alden Monstrap, and you hit it on the nail for me... that strap is too thin, imho.

still, i'll also take it if somebody gave it to me.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Alden monkstrap is a good shoe to have in your wardrobe;however, the square toe norwegian front in either burgundy or black shell cordovan is a great shoe in my ihmo. AlanC you are right on the mark.

HitMan009

Reaction score
I have to agree with some of the previous posters. Although some monk straps made by those Brits have impossibly huge buckles which I find distracts from the otherwise elegant shoe, I have to say on a whole, English monk straps are by far the most elegant and refined. The Aldens while nice are not as elegant. The stitching appears coarse but that maybe due to the leather being cordovan. For me, I think a monk strap should have a long nose or toe(I don't know which is the correct terminalogy). The quarters that form the V shape I think could be a bit farther back and up thus allowing a longer nose and making the strap shorter. The strap itself can be further back, again allowing for a longer nose. I also find the two rows of stitching unnecessary, creating a shoe that is less elegant. As mentioned also, a square/rectangular buckle looks nicer.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also agree that the Norwegian in cordovan may be Alden's best shoe. Great minds definitely think alike.

Lint Brush

Reaction score
My current favorite monkstrap is the Lobb Jermyn II--saw it at the Madison Ave store Saturday, and it almost reminded me of a yacht in its sweeping elegance, as strange as that sounds. $1100 is a lot of money, though.

petr

Reaction score
Does anyone have any new thoughts on this shoe? (alden monk)

I do like it and am drawn to it, but am just unsure how to wear it.

Would it go with dress pants? If so, gray only?

How could it be dressed down?

Kindest Regards...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a nice looking shoe. I would have it in shell if it didn't have the gold-tone buckle.

guster

Reaction score
I thought cordovan used to be recommended for navy blue dress pants.

I like the shoes but agree that the buckle would be better if it were not gold.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this shoe and it is great. I wear it with whatever, jeans, it doesn't matter. Perhaps I wouldn't wear it to an interview. Then again, perhaps I would.

The buckle is real solid brass, in anything but a freshly polished state it will look a dull brown or pewterish, not bright gold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads