• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Would You Rather Have More Of?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
Maybe it might be time to try this topic: shirts or shoes.

That would be even more of a landslide. Except for aportnoy(
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
).

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that I'd rather have more shirts, and in fact, I do have more shirts.

a) More shirts means I do laundry less often.

2) I wear shirts far more frequently without ties than with ties.

III) When I do wear ties, they are usually used to add a little extra formality rather than make my wardrobe appear more diverse. Thus, a few conservative ties in the basic colors is all I need right now. This point may change as money becomes less of an object. E.g. increasing amounts of money may cause me to reevaluate the role of the tie and enlarge my collection.

D) I just like shirts.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point on the laundry thing. I have more shirts so that I have to bring them to the cleaners less often. I have enough shirts that I only have to make the trip about once every 2 months. But, the main reason is that I just like shirts.

In fact, my whole foray in this sartorial underworld started with a google search on "custom shirts".

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Wow. Apparently I'm in the great minority. I have a lot more ties than shirts, and that makes sense in my mind.

I'm with you, Alan. I have about two ties for every dress shirt, a ratio that seems about right to me.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SHOES

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
a) More shirts means I do laundry less often.

Not really, when you think about it.

*My sole assumption would be that you have enough clothes to at least fill up a washing machine. If not, then yeah, you'll be doing laundry more often, simply because you run out of clothes before you fill up the machine.

Edit: ok, there's a second assumption here - that by saying "I do laundry", you actually mean you are doing the laundry, and not giving them to somebody else to do. Although, quite frankly, I would never let dirty shirts sit around for two months like the guy above.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
That would be even more of a landslide. Except for aportnoy(
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
).

he has like 300 borrelli shirts so I think shirts would still win :p

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted for ties.

If I really, really had to save money, I would only need a few light blue shirts and the rest of the money could be spent on ties. The more different types of shirts you buy (stripes, different colors, etc.) the more different types of ties you need to fit the shirts.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I choose an option not listed but alluded to. I would rather have more $.
smile.gif

I have to wear ties every day and do think they can add a touch of style, flair, wildness to one's attire more than shirts can. More people notice a distinctive tie than a distinctive shirt. Ties can be more of a self expressive tool. Having said all that, I love both and have a lot of both. And, I'm STILL waiting to buy my first Borrelli shirt.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have too many ties as it is. I don't see myself buying that many more ties ever again.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Shirts all the way. One needs no more than 2 dozen ties (e.g.: 6 grenadines, 6 printed silk, 6 woven silk, 6 in rustic materials and weaves). But with shirts, one needs at least 4 dozen total.

I could probably get by happily with just the six grenadines.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Shirts all the way. One needs no more than 2 dozen ties (e.g.: 6 grenadines, 6 printed silk, 6 woven silk, 6 in rustic materials and weaves). But with shirts, one needs at least 4 dozen total.

One needs AT LEAST 48 shirts?
eek.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads