• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes with jeans.

DMcG

Reaction score
I think that dress shoes can definitely be worn with jeans. As to which dress shoes I feel that you need to take the jeans, and really the whole look, into account. A sleek plaintoe monk may look great with some jeans. A longwing blucher with a double sole might be best with different jeans. Its hard to effectively come up with "rules" for something like this when so much variation is possible.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
As far as finding the posts...

searchxp8.jpg

Dude, I'll search for photos of you and go through that really, really long thread for each and every post you made there when I have a pressing need to.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the moment you say this:
Originally Posted by josepidal
...and what's your shoe size?

I don't usually browse this forum, so I'm not current on WAWYN. Could you just repost some pics on this thread?

yoo've expressed the pressing need as below:

Dude, I'll search for photos of you and go through that really, really long thread for each and every post you made there when I have a pressing need to.

additionally, you can just search inside the thread by the user name - you'll find a picture in 10-20 seconds. I know you can, because I did. I found a picture of drizzt wear "Paul Smith, Nudie, Mantellassi" rather quickly.

Key is to look for something that lists the items he is wearing. that means there will probably be a picture.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's half a minute I don't want to spend looking for a photo of a specific guy for no particular reason.

Anyway, since you insist, I did it.

Drizzt has a very built upper body and is a bit of a stocky guy, but wears pretty slim jeans relative to his upper body. My opinion is that because of this disproportion (and his legs look really skinny in some of those photos), he has to wear more solid shoes like A-Es to make up. When he's wearing a suit jacket, the silhouette of his body would change and mask some of this disproportion due to the kind of pants he wears, so he can wear the "dainty" Lobbs.

I don't think this applies to a lot of guys. Thoughts?

By the way, the dress shoes and t-shirt look just does not agree with me.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ok then, I'm not the one who needs pics of my outfits, I have plenty of them. If you're too lazy to do a search then **** off.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drizzt has a very built upper body and is a bit of a stocky guy, but wears pretty slim jeans relative to his upper body. My opinion is that because of this disproportion (and his legs look really skinny in some of those photos), he has to wear more solid shoes like A-Es to make up. When he's wearing a suit jacket, the silhouette of his body would change and mask some of this disproportion due to the kind of pants he wears, so he can wear the "dainty" Lobbs.

I don't think this applies to a lot of guys. Thoughts?

By the way, the dress shoes and t-shirt look just does not agree with me.

I don't wear chunkier shoes to balance out my upper body at all, I don't care about that, and that's patently obvious if you've followed posts on this forum in the past year.

I simply think the nature of the fabric makes dress shoes that are sleeker appear incongruous.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I don't wear chunkier shoes to balance out my upper body at all, I don't care about that, and that's patently obvious if you've followed posts on this forum in the past year.
Well, if you wore sleek shoes of any kind, then your body would look even more out of proportion, or at least that's what I infer from a couple of your photos.

Anyway, I guess you're saying that I have to read every single post you've made in the past year and stared at every single photo you've posted here before I have a right to try to understand what you're saying.

Or did I misunderstand this, too, becuase I haven't and I haven't?

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
My fav: Light blue jeans with light brown suede. Boots or loafers either way.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't even tell you how honored I am that the "search!" screencap I took is being used as munitions in a flamewar.
lurker[1].gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not only did I look like a dork with my dainty footwear last night, I got slapped with your graphic too! Oh, woe is me.

I had meant to ask you for the story behind the graphic, but we were on the opposite ends of the room the whole time, I belatedly realize. We swapped a lot of random SF stories!

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had meant to ask you for the story behind the graphic, but we were on the opposite ends of the room the whole time, I belatedly realize. We swapped a lot of random SF stories!

haha, yeah I took a screencap and ran it through photoshop in response to some frequently-answered n00b question once ("slim dress shirts" or one of those). I'm glad to see its being put to use.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like dress shoes with jeans but only certain ones work for me. For example my Martegani plain blutcher with brogueing just looks awful with jeans, I think it is a combination of them looking too small, the chisel toe is a bit more extreme than my C&Js and the color is a brown/maroon color which just screams dress to me.

My tan C&J captoes work much better and they are more easily dressed down based on what pants you are wearing.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joel: What got everyone laughing was my anecdote about meeting Manton and Portnoy (at the same time) for the first time. Those guys are sharper than anything in WAYWN.

Vision: Dress DOWN cap toes? Could you elaborate; I'm curious.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I'd never wear cap toes etc with jeans.

I think it depends on the captoes. A new-looking, well-polished pair of Tramezzas or Weston captoes I wouldn't wear with jeans either. But an older pair of captoes, ones that had been resoled a time or two and maybe bought before one really understood how to care for good shoes or had a sufficient rotation, why not?

Today I'm wearing a pair of Alden shell cordovan captoes (whiskey color) I didn't take great care of for the first couple years I owned them, under Helmut Lang Classic Cut raw jeans, for instance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads