• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Purple Label Ties?

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I found some good deals on some Polo Purple Label ties and was wondering what anybody thinks of them. Are they of good quality and do they tie well? Thanks for any help you can give me....

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found some good deals on some Polo Purple Label ties and was wondering what anybody thinks of them. Are they of good quality and do they tie well? Thanks for any help you can give me....
Well, it all depends when they were made, earlier RLPL ties were made by Turnbull & Asser, whose quality is fairly high in the world of tie making IMHO (I own a few examples). Now, I believe the ties are made in Italy, but are uncertain by which factory. Perhaps a few of our tie mavens can help?

Jon.

drljva

Reaction score
I found some good deals on some Polo Purple Label ties and was wondering what anybody thinks of them. Are they of good quality and do  they tie well? Thanks for any help you can give me....
I own a few -- mostly their "satin" ties in solid colors... Can't say I'm overly enamored with them, but they're not bad ties. If I like the pattern and they're on sale, I buy them. Otherwise, not my first choice.

JV

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In any case, there's quite bit of RLPL stuff, including ties, on sale right now on polo.com's "private sale," notably advertised to the public on their front page. I believe the ties are around $80... Blue label ties are like $70, so I guess that makes it a deal.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Above average in construction on the purple label, average on the POLO label. I am particularly fond with some of the very rich, muted paisleys I saw at their Milan store this week.

Pricewise it depends on what you are willing to pay for regular tie - they are acetate backed and use a good quality wool lining.

I know where they buy silk and they buy good silk for the purple label.

Overall, my impression is that RL is really pushing hard to up their quality toward the level of purple label and away from the sublines, which had gotten embarassingly bad.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I have an England made and an Italy made RLPL tie. Both are quite nice; I like the Italian one better despite my innate Anglophilia. Not a CF 7-fold, but one of my nicest ties. At $1 for each I'm not complaining.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try them on and knot them before buying.

RLPL in particular knots in quite a specific style; not sure why. I really like the shape/volume of the knot that's created (the tie in my avatar is RLPL for an example), but YMMV, so check you like it.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy

Hey I see that you are in Warren. I'm in Ann Arbor. Did you come across the ties in your area?

Thanks.

Maximus Mark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I think I should start looking for 3 1/2 year old threads and make a brief comment on them.

Jeeze I didn't even notice that. Somebody's been gravedigging SF for ***** and giggles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads