• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just gave blood yesterday...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Red Cross was at my work yesterday and I decided to give blood for the first time.

My arm was fine yesterday and last night at home , but today throughout the day, my arm ( a patch about 3 inches below where the injection took place) started to turn black and blue like a bruise.

I showed it to others here at work who had experience with giving blood, and they looked concerned. They said it should be normal looking and if there is a bruise look it should occur around the area you had the injection but it should not look that big.

The bruise patch is big about 3inches across 2 inches wide. Doesnt hurt, but it does feel a bit puffed up.
One other coworker stated it is normal if a vessel gets broken during the process that your blood will leak inside and will clot later.

But why does this occur 24 hours AFTER the blood donation?
Anybody who experienced this do you know? thanks
frown.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Can I have your ties if Conne's right?
I'd take the shoes but I know you're not my size.

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about, but I'm not a doctor so what do I know? I've given blood lots of times and don't recall that happening, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Sabrosa

Reaction score
Depending on how easily you bruise and how skilled the nurse was, it's fairly common to have a bruise after blood is drawn. If it continues to get noticeably worse over the weekend then you might have a reason to be concerned, but it is probably just a normal bruise and nothing more.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
photos would be helpful

incidentally, I'm not allowed to give blood because I've lived in the UK - something to do with the risk of SBE
smile.gif
Moo

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take the shoes, sell them off to SF members and other interested folk, and buy shoes in my size
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Depending on how easily you bruise and how skilled the nurse was, it's fairly common to have a bruise after blood is drawn. If it continues to get noticeably worse over the weekend then you might have a reason to be concerned, but it is probably just a normal bruise and nothing more.
+1. Photos would also be nice.

JB

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Whoever took your blood probably screwed up. It happens. I'm going to assume that the person pushed the needle through the other side of the vein wall before pulling back a bit for the blood flow. It could have also formed because you didn't apply enough pressure to the injection site after donation, something which is the most common reason for bruising to begin with.

Unless you have a history of clotting disorders there really is very little to worry about. If you do start to feel pain/swelling/loss of feeling, visit a hospital.

redtree00

Reaction score
You didn't apply pressure long enough. I give blood several times a year and it has happened to me on occasion.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll never give blood. I tried once and I failed the question part. They asked some of the dumbest questions I've ever heard and A) I answered them honestly (which, by looking at some of the people at the blood donor place, no one answers honestly) and B) Some of the questions didn't even make sense.

If someone dies because they ran out of blood, I blame the blood bank.

redtree00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I'll never give blood. I tried once and I failed the question part. They asked some of the dumbest questions I've ever heard and A) I answered them honestly (which, by looking at some of the people at the blood donor place, no one answers honestly) and B) Some of the questions didn't even make sense.

This part ?
http://www.fda.gov/cber/faq/msmdonor.htm#2

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13

What questions didn't make sense?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
oh boy, how relieved to hear this from you. i hope you are right . thanks my friend.
smile.gif

Not that I didn't mention exactly that 24 hours ago... Judging from the pics they might have had trouble locating a vein and thus went too deep. The lack of pressure afterwards might be the best explanation here as the majority of the "bruise" is distal from the injection site (ie blood flowing down because of gravity). But great pics. Be sure to give people a good story, say...Fight Club or ruthless street thugs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads