• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I wanted to see if I could pull off the low contrast look, not too sure.

Margiela
Whall
AE

I think it works, though I'd recommend having that shirt shortened a bit; maybe it's just the shadows, but it appears to cover almost the entire rise of the jeans, if you took it up about half an inch I think it would be perfect.

That being said, the fit is spot-on, and I think the muted colors work very well together. Just the right balance of subtlety, I can imagine seeing that offhand and doing a little double-take, then nodding to myself in approval.

jpgm

Reaction score
super comfortable and super casual for some errands, appointments and rehearsals today.

WDYWT100707.jpg

vans chukka
APC NS
topman t
country road merino v neck
generic beanie

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, thanks dusty :p

kallun

Reaction score
TKL and Elin (mostly Elin) Jacket
Shirt sewn by student at Beckman college of design, Stockholm
Hackett pocket square
Julian Red California Raw
Fendi
Chopard Luc Sport 2000

070710.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
So much emphasis on constrast. Constrast is easy, doing tonal correctly is what takes a good eye.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
So much emphasis on constrast. Constrast is easy, doing tonal correctly is what takes a good eye.

Quoted for truth. Tone is everything.

I see a lot of guys wearing all black around, poorly. There are so many types of black. Some with more blues, some more magentas, some more yellows. Together, it looks a mess. Jeans are the same. Anyone who says that they need just one pair of dark jeans either 1)Doesn't wear jeans often or 2)Is colorblind. For example:

APCs have a lot of red in them. Unless they are brand new, or have been brine washed, they tend to look like **** with most blacks. Tones are way off. But I see people wearing them with black all the time. 5EP are more versatile because they are pretty well balanced. They have a greencast than makes them wearable with more somber tones, but have a fair bit of yellow and red, some warm colors, especially if the jeans are worn with a warm colored belt, something tobacco rather than british tan, say. And Kicking Mules have a lot of brown in them, and that is accentuated by the stitching. They look like **** with black, generally, but I see this all the time anyway. They call for a blue or an earth tone. If you wear jeans often, you need about 3 pairs of jeans unless the rest of your wardrobe is dominated by either cool or warm tones.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I wanted to see if I could pull off the low contrast look, not too sure.

Margiela
Whall
AE

88nz0.jpg

I think that the tones are quite reasonable (at least from what I can see), but that shirt is at least a size too small. Margiela cuts his shirts to hang crisply over the body. Your arms and biceps bulge out of the shirt, and fits taut around your midsection. It looks like you can't even do up the buttom button. Not flattering. Sorry.

Reaction score
Blacks are hard to match. It irks me that my black EG 19c. shirt (a reddish black) looks really off with my black EG whipcord (more blueish black). I try to buy charcoal/grays instead of blacks for this reason. Just makes steezy easier.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yowza, what a debate...

Superbobo - you sir, have just given me my new signature. I hope you don't mind but it's too damn good to resist.

Razuel - I think there have been enough photos in the last two pages or so to prove that not everyone here dresses the exact same. We take things about each other's styles that we like and we apply them to ourselves. Some are very similar, some are worlds apart.

If you want to explore both sides of the fence, keeping hanging around here but also dig on AuthenticForum and HonestForum which seem to cater to a more trendy crowd (and I'm not saying that in a snobby way)

Don't limit yourself to just the WAYWT thread, dig through the past 6 months worth of threads in "Streetwear & Denim" and you'll see many interesting debates and conversations over the "how's and why's" of the members outfits. I've learned a lot here in a short time that way.

oh, and I agree that SoCal's style is damn-near impeccable.

Rye - I like the bunny
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Oh, for whomever thinks a women's SF would be a war - check out AuthenticForum. Mall-brand women posting their RR and TR and complimenting each other non-stop, even on the bad fits.... it's a love-fest!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Blacks are hard to match. It irks me that my black EG 19c. shirt (a reddish black) looks really off with my black EG whipcord (more blueish black). I try to buy charcoal/grays instead of blacks for this reason. Just makes steezy easier.

Only my black Nom de Guerre M65, which has charcoal in the mix, matches my black Fred Bare cap. Otherwise, I wear that thing with olives and charcoals. My brown cap, which has both reds and a lot of black in it, ironically, matches my black stuff better, in general, and also goes with most of my blues.

Yeah, black is difficult to do. I have seen people here, but more on Superfuture, cheat. Tones are difficult to see on a monitor, easy in person. I look at some of the black on black on black outfits on Sufu, and because I know what the pieces look like in person, I say "Looks good on screen, would look like **** irl."

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Sunday--it was hot.

wayw0708-3.jpg

Not a faux-tuck, the top's not quite long enough to cover the buckle, so it rides up as I walk.

Today is much worse, but I can't afford to be (quite) as casual:

wayw0710.jpg

(random hat from a cheap hat shop, H&M shirt that the tailor shortened a little *too* much, random gray v-neck, PBJ 005, Allen Edmonds)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
(random hat from a cheap hat shop, H&M shirt that the tailor shortened a little *too* much, random gray v-neck, PBJ 005, Allen Edmonds)

dig the hat! The layering of the tshirt with the HM shirt looks good, makes the too-short hem look intentional, I'm surprised you arent wearing shades in this shot. Tho I'm not sure if your usual aviators would look good with the hat (?)

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
dig the hat! The layering of the tshirt with the HM shirt looks good, makes the too-short hem look intentional, I'm surprised you arent wearing shades in this shot. Tho I'm not sure if your usual aviators would look good with the hat (?)
I'm holding the shades in my hand.
smile.gif
Yeah, I decided that rather than toss the shirt, I'd try to find ways to make it work. Since I almost always layer shirts in summer anyway (especially in this godawful near-100 degrees + humidity weather), a sufficiently short shirt seems to work okay as layering. The aviators don't look bad... but they don't really look good, either. I'm not sure what would look good. I have probably five random pairs of sunglasses I never wear anymore stashed away, maybe I'll start trying them all on and see if anything seems to work.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that the tones are quite reasonable (at least from what I can see), but that shirt is at least a size too small. Margiela cuts his shirts to hang crisply over the body. Your arms and biceps bulge out of the shirt, and fits taut around your midsection. It looks like you can't even do up the buttom button. Not flattering. Sorry.

Wait for it...wait for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads