• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaydar

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scientists are researching clues to identify gays, from speeches, way people walk to hair growth patterns, CNN reports:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/06/26...ml#cnnSTCVideo

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/06/26...ity/index.html

So whose SF member gaydar readings are off the chart?
laugh.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is amazing. Lets not get our scientists working on cures or anything life changing, lets get them on the important topic of "identifying" gay characteristics.

I'll save them some time, if a guy has sex with another guy, he's gay. Alternately, if they use terms like "meaty thighs" or go by internet names such as "Connemara" or "Kronik" or "GQGeek", they are gay. There, I just saved those scientists a bunch of time.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's something inauspicious about this. What, are they going to identify us all and send us to defabulization camps?

*hides under covers*

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
There's something inauspicious about this. What, are they going to identify us all and send us to defabulization camps?

*hides under covers*

They are going to route you into the fashion industry at a young age.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
This is amazing. Lets not get our scientists working on cures or anything life changing, lets get them on the important topic of "identifying" gay characteristics.

I'll save them some time, if a guy has sex with another guy, he's gay. Alternately, if they use terms like "meaty thighs" or go by internet names such as "Connemara" or "Kronik" or "GQGeek", they are gay. There, I just saved those scientists a bunch of time.

There are countless scientists working on far, far more meaningless endeavors.

There are some social/religious implications for further evidence of these physiological relationships with sexual orientation. It contributes to the idea that homosexuality is innate and not a choice, which (amazingly) is something many people don't believe and a great deal of religious dogma is in direct contradiction to. The idea that it is an inborn trait could possibly soften the stance of homosexuality-as-sin, and make life a lot easier for people who have had and will have their families, friends, and churches have disown them for coming out. And I believe it will all make widespread acceptance of gay marriage a more likely event should the element of "choice" be removed from people's perception of homosexuality, whether you are for or against this. Either way, it's a fairly natural course of study by the field of psychology to try to relate behavior to some sort of biological source and this particular branch of it has been going on for years. Much of what they discuss in the article was covered briefly in a developmental psychology course I took 4 years ago.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The CNN stuff is following a NY Magazine feature that appeared the previous week:

http://nymag.com/news/features/33520/

Re: how to tell in this forum: I'm gay but I really can't tell who else is, unless they spell it out.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
...unless they spell it out.
here, I'll help with your little spelling bee...

C-O-N-N-E-B-O-I

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have long thought that if homosexuality is a genetically transmitted, immutable trait, as contemporary "enlightened" doctrine maintains, then ipso facto, this proves the Darwinian theory of Natural Selection wrong--far more than the cleversilly arguments of the Creationists!

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Homosexuality exists even in the animal kingdom. What's the big deal?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do gay men know that they are both into men? I mean, what if you walked up to a guy and started hitting on him, and he goes "Umm, I'm straight dude." Does this happen a lot?

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
How do gay men know that they are both into men? I mean, what if you walked up to a guy and started hitting on him, and he goes "Umm, I'm straight dude." Does this happen a lot?

I usually realize after we've exchanged numbers that it was odd for him to introduce himself in the gym and that I don't really want to work out with him at any point in the future. Among other situations.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'll save them some time, if a guy has sex with another guy, he's gay.
Not really. That just means that he is somewhat attracted to men or at least not entirely disgusted by the idea of sex with men. He could be bisexual. He could even be very predominantly attracted to women and not have many other options (like in prison).

Conversely, he could be gay and not ******** with another guy (abstinent).

Originally Posted by JLibourel
I have long thought that if homosexuality is a genetically transmitted, immutable trait, as contemporary "enlightened" doctrine maintains, then ipso facto, this proves the Darwinian theory of Natural Selection wrong
How?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Not really. That just means that he is somewhat attracted to men or at least not entirely disgusted by the idea of sex with men. He could be bisexual.

Well, not being gay I can't speak for anyone that is and my comment was a bit of a joke but, for me at least, if you are attracted sexually to men (and you are a man), you are gay, there is no bisexual. The sex act between two men is very different from the sex act between two women and I think it is fair to say that it requires a much bigger "commitment", one that does not lend itself to experimentation.

Anyway, I make a lot of gay jokes but really don't care either way. Why this fascination in this country to figure out what is "wrong" with gay people or if you can tell if someone is gay or if you can change someone is beyond me.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface

*hides under covers*

Use of terms like "inauspicious", with its educated and slyly Shakespearean undertones, clearly mark you for deportation to the defabulation zone. I suggest cultivating alternatives, like "totally not cool", or "lame". Adding "brah" after any of these will also help, as it will convince people that while you may very well be gay, you're probably not okay with it, which, really, is all they ask.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads