• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is such a great thread, but it is making me want a new watch very badly. Right now, I only have a ss sub (gifted to me) and a tudor chrono. I have never liked Panerai until learning about them here, I think I will try to get one before year's end.

Torque

Reaction score
It is not the same price class then most watches shown here, but my favourite one - Stowa Marine Original

mo_1.jpg

As you see I'm really bad at taking pictures, as is my 5 year old camera, so I'm resorting to others with better skills to show off her beauty:

StowaMO.jpg

b13lp3.jpg

Unitas 6498 with slight modifications

b3ok4.jpg

One of the original Stowa German Navy ship watches this watch was modelled after.

Miguel Alvarez

Reaction score
I've seen that fortis watch somewhere in my house. Don't know where I got it from. Probably from grandfather of mine. Never worn the watch though. Isn't there supposed to be a gold bracelet on the watch instead of the leather strap?

PeasantLLC

Reaction score
I received the watch from my grandfather too--I have never seen this style with a gold bracelet though. the watch is great looking but i dont believe it has any monetary value.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Ebay: What a dreadnought! * Diameter of the watch: 51 mm * Diameter of the case with crown: 56.5 mm * Diameter of the dial: 43.5 mm * Thickness: 20 mm * Band size: 20 mm The originality of this is dodgy, to say the least, but it's still a damned imposing watch.
B6471.jpg
B6473.jpg
B6475.jpg
B6476.jpg
B6477.jpg
The Ukrainian seller seems to have come upon a huge stash of used wristwatches and movements, many of German origin. Looks like some state watch repair shop sold out, or something like it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of those recased pocket-watch movement wrist-watches from the former USSR.

Probably artifacts from pre-revolutionary Russia made into something vaguely useful.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have seen a lot of those recased pocket-watch movement wrist-watches from the former USSR. Probably artifacts from pre-revolutionary Russia made into something vaguely useful.
Exactly - the case is new, or at least very secondary, and of uncertain quality, the condition is an uncertain factor, and so, the price is far too high - but what a look, all the same.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfortunately, unlike high end shoes and suits, you can't get great watches for 90% off retail. So I wear these most of the time:

stowa.jpg

incursore.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice Stowa Andrew. You're right that you cannot unfortunately buy watches at 90% off retail - I guess the flipside is that you don't have to sell your used watches for 95% off retail or drop them off at the thrift store (the item doesn't wear down and the value doesn't depreciate as fast as for shoes and clothes
smile.gif
)

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess the flipside is that you don't have to sell your used watches for 95% off retail or drop them off at the thrift store (the item doesn't wear down and the value doesn't depreciate as fast as for shoes and clothes
Good point...

gvibes

Reaction score
This is what I have - I like it a lot, for the price ($220 new)
ZN_Magellano_DDWH_400_01.jpg
I would prefer something similar without the day-date but beggers can't be choosers. Those Dornbluth's are almost affordable enough for me to consider. I want a 99.1 (with the seconds at the six), like:
59740424.jpg
EDIT: That Stowa Marine looks pretty sexy, especially considering the price. I'm not sure I could deal with hand-wound, however, and the Marine Auto has the date at the six.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do it man! Not only are the watches wonderful but Dirk's customer service cannot be compared to a "normal" watch company. He goes to extra length to make sure you're happy with your watch and his service. I have had mine for years and it has been out of warranty for 2 or 3 years now. He recentlly serviced the watch completely, refinished the case, changed the crown and sent it back to me with a box of chocolates and did not charge me a dime. Simply incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads