• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to get a new Bimmer - lease or CPO?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I agree 100% about the Z4. I have heard absolutely nothing bad about the Cayman, many even wonder why Porsche would not back this car in racing...oh don't want to cannabalize the 911

I think the Z4 looks very good or very bad, depending on the angle. The Cayman alsways looks great.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
I think the Z4 looks very good or very bad, depending on the angle. The Cayman alsways looks great.
I like the coupe version, but I just cannot get into the roadster.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I like the coupe version, but I just cannot get into the roadster.

Oh, I agree. I am not a Z4 vert fan at all. I thought since it was a Cayman discussion, the comparison was about the Z4 coupe (both hard tops).

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Oh, I agree. I am not a Z4 vert fan at all. I thought since it was a Cayman discussion, the comparison was about the Z4 coupe (both hard tops).
Oh, actually I think the Z4 coupe looks pretty nice.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only complaint I've ever seen with a Cayman is that they said it felt like Porsche intentionally held back a little so that it wouldn't beat it's bigger brother and that is probably true.

The Z4 is ok, but that face...

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
The guys at Top Gear made a very bad review of the Cayman, they compared it to an emasculated Carrera
laugh.gif

Clarkson called it the 'Coxster' because it was like a coupe Boxter, which had me LMAO. But, it's still a beautiful car, one of the better Porsches in terms of styling. They catch my eye.

Regards,
Huntsman

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
The only complaint I've ever seen with a Cayman is that they said it felt like Porsche intentionally held back a little so that it wouldn't beat it's bigger brother and that is probably true. The Z4 is ok, but that face...
From a business stand point it makes perfect sense, given that the Cayman is better balanced. It would be a shame to a offer car for lesser money, that can outperform their topdog.

Even though, it sure would be nice to see a twin turbo optioned Cayman.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like much the Z4 also... I prefer the Z3.

However the Z4 was designed for the American market and built in America at the beginning

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guys at Top Gear made a very bad review of the Cayman, they compared it to an emasculated Carrera
laugh.gif

Yes, and they also hate almost all BMWs.

--Andre

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like much the Z4 also... I prefer the Z3.

However the Z4 was designed for the American market and built in America at the beginning

well then according to you it must be terrible
devil.gif

Chasey

Reaction score
I would say lease the redesigned 3-series sedan or coupe if you can't upgrade to anything else. my parents bought me the new one for my 16th birthday (I don't have it anymore but only because I wanted an SUV instead) and it was really an awesome car. it handles unbelievably well, the sound system is impressive for an entry-level car like that, and I think the interior was much, much nicer looking than even my Range Rover's. it's an all-around attractive car, much better than any of its counterparts IMO.

also, please don't get a Z. I hate them. I just think they're infinitely ugly. :X

if you could spend a bit more then get a 5-series instead, the lowest-model 5 is actually not THAT much more expensive than a 3, plus it comes with navigation and some other stuff standard I think. also, like someone said, the Cayman would be a good choice as well, although it costs a bit more.

josephrex

Reaction score
just bought a 6cyl audi and i am missing my old bmw terribly. drove a range rover in between - what a nightmare.

the lease or CPO question is a difficult one. if you're a shrewd businessman, you'll figure out what will cost you less when all is said and done (after you've sold the car if you buy it, or after your lease term). if you have enough cash on hand to get a nice rate on a long loan, put nothing down and pay $1000/month until it's done early you will probably come out futher ahead if you keep the car for 3 years than if you'd leased.

if you don't have that cash i wouldn't do it, just lease. it's so much easier to just get rid of the car. the trick though, is to negotiate the most favorable lease deal possible. use edmunds.com to decide their "true market price" in your area and insist that your local dealer (only deal with the internet/fleet manager) use that as the price they figure your lease terms out with. you can just call 3 three in a row and tell them the price you want to "pay".

Chasey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josephrex
just bought a 6cyl audi and i am missing my old bmw terribly. drove a range rover in between - what a nightmare. the lease or CPO question is a difficult one. if you're a shrewd businessman, you'll figure out what will cost you less when all is said and done (after you've sold the car if you buy it, or after your lease term). if you have enough cash on hand to get a nice rate on a long loan, put nothing down and pay $1000/month until it's done early you will probably come out futher ahead if you keep the car for 3 years than if you'd leased. if you don't have that cash i wouldn't do it, just lease. it's so much easier to just get rid of the car. the trick though, is to negotiate the most favorable lease deal possible. use edmunds.com to decide their "true market price" in your area and insist that your local dealer (only deal with the internet/fleet manager) use that as the price they figure your lease terms out with. you can just call 3 three in a row and tell them the price you want to "pay".
sorry to drag this off-topic, but, you didn't like driving a Range Rover? :eek: that's what I gave up my BMW for! were you driving the real one or a sport? I have an HSE (as opposed to Sport HSE) and I love it.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up. I kept the old car that still runs.

josephrex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chasey
that's what I gave up my BMW for!

my situation was not by choice. range rovers are environmentally/socially irresponsible. i live in los angeles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads