• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making A Light Purple Room Masculine

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I've just moved to a new apartment in Chicago. The place is spectacular and fits our lifestyles perfectly (3 young professional college grads) except that my bedroom is fairly small and has light purple walls and ceiling. Painting is an option, but I am interested in finding out whether it's possible to make the color masculine and workable for a single, straight 23 year old male. Aesthetically I go for very minimal, modern, clean looks. The current plan is to get several canvasses and use a gelling agent with black/dark brown paint to make some interesting textural decor; I am thinking if I add a streak of ochre or a warm yellow, it will acknowledge the purple and pull it all together.

For reference, the color is, with a bit of irony, the same as the lightest part of
frown.gif

Thoughts? Other ideas for how to work with the room as is?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
The current plan is to get several canvasses and use a gelling agent with black/dark brown paint to make some interesting textural decor; I am thinking if I add a streak of ochre or a warm yellow, it will acknowledge the purple and pull it all together.

Sounds like a lot to have going on in a small room, it'll shrink the feel considerably.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This would be like trying to make Ed masculine. Sure you can try and divert attention from the light purple walls, but at the end of the day, they're still purple. In the same vein, Ed can huff and puff trying to divert attention from the obvious truth, but at the end of the day he's still a bigger fairy than all the gay men on this board combined. Your only option is to paint. Ed got married.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be a no go, but get the furniture in there. I have dark wood floors and furniture and I use dark purple, sometimes fuschia to accent, but not on the walls. I did at one point have my office walls painted dark purple, and liked it. Anna Suis shop in SOHO is / was lavender with gloss black trim, but this is a kind of funky Victorian vibe.

Who knows your walls may wind up looking rather mod.
I say try it, maybe adjust the kind of purple and the amount that could be visible. The tone of the furniture and floor may dictate alot on how the purple is percieved.

maybe some pictures

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
This would be like trying to make Ed masculine. Sure you can try and divert attention from the light purple walls, but at the end of the day, they're still purple. In the same vein, Ed can huff and puff trying to divert attention from the obvious truth, but at the end of the day he's still a bigger fairy than all the gay men on this board combined. Your only option is to paint. Ed got married.

Hmm, the words "purple", "vein" and my name in one of your posts. I wonder what is on your mind.....

Spencer, do yourself a favoir and save yourself a lot of time, prime the walls and then do whatever you want colorwise. Purple is a hard color to combine with, harder even to give it a "masculine" look.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Hmm, the words "purple", "vein" and my name in one of your posts. I wonder what is on your mind.....

laugh.gif

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the best way to make a light purple room masculine is to start a post on a style message board asking whether or not it is a good idea to "acknowledge the purple" with ochre. Nothing says hypermasculinity like complementary colours.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Anna Suis shop in SOHO is / was lavender with gloss black trim, but this is a kind of funky Victorian vibe.

I would second designprofessor. adding a taxidermy head, antique gun, or some old safari photographs could add a masculine edge

thepataphysician

Reaction score
the canvasses with ochre with the purple walls sounds like a bad hotel lobby to me

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
paint it. Two cans of paint will cost you less money, take you less time, and bring a better result than trying to unpussy violet.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1, however, lots of guns, power tools, and dead animals could probably help it a bit. Paint is much cheaper though.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bathe the walls in the blood of your enemies.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a sweet idea Reggs. Maybe include all the weapons used to slaughter them too, coated in the blood of the enemy's heart. Hmm.

JB

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a painting like the one behind White Goodman in this picture:

dodgeball1ml9.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics