• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
sysdoc - the 5050 is my dream watch. IMO though I like the 5059 very much, it is too thick for a true "dress" watch for my tastes because of the officer case. I think that's a shame, becasue I'm really looking for a dress watch but also need a second hand in a watch - I like to see that movement - and the 5059/5159 is the only perptual in today's lineup with that second hand. Of course, the 5039 is beautiful, but neither the 5039 nor the 3940 has a second hand. They are thin and would be great dress watches, but they are just lacking that seconds hand. So for me, the 5050 was really perfect - perpetual, second hand, and thin. I wish they would make the 5050 style again, but for now they seem to be sticking with the officer case. I may just have to forget the seconds hand at get the 5039, because 5050 prices are going through the roof.
I agree, zj. I missed out on the 5050 as well. I am telling myself that I am too young ... or I didn't get wealthy enough soon enough ...
tounge.gif
. Either way, today you'll have to trade in a Ferrari if you want one. What a shame!
confused.gif
Doesn't VC make a retrograde perpetual calendar with a second hand? Let me check ... ... dang! It's a beautiful watch, but no second hand ...
confused.gif

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
My humble vintage collection. From top left: Tissot 14 kt manual, LeCoultre 14 kt manual, Girard Perregaux 14 kt manual, Baum & Mercier SS manual, Longines SS manual; Bottom left: Lucien Piccard 14 kt Seashark Auto, LeCoultre SS bumper auto w/power reserve, Omega Seamaster Deville SS auto, IWC SS auto (temporarily holding for a friend who bought it from a Japanese seller)

Excuse my poor photographic skills.

DSCF0004-1.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lower right hand corner - Seiko calculator watch?
seiko-12.jpg

Miguel Alvarez

Reaction score
I've sent my watchwinder back for repair. A month has passed and no word from them. Probably still in repair. Should have been back by now. Anyone else founded problems with their watchwinder?

vvoc

Reaction score
im looking to buy a tissot prc 200 T17.1.526.52 .... is $260ish a good price for this watch? it isnt an automatic but i like the style and i feel its a lot more versatile (worn casually and formally--relatively) but one problem, the face is listed as: case size 40mm and case width as 12mm...is the case of the watch too bulky, i dont want a dinnerplate on my wrist and i really have nothing to compare it to... too bulky? thanks
tissot_t17152652.l.gif
jomashop_1952_412367388

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
If it isn't a camera phone, look for the macro setting -- usually symbolized with a little flower -- that way the field of focus can be closer to the lens.
Thanks. Better? Could use with a wipe off.

nvckl7.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dramatic improvement in the pictures Matt !

CodeRed

Reaction score
I am surprised that there are so few pateks. I really like the GO's
smile.gif
langes are pretty sweet too. I also like the vacheron's.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you weren't too fond of the Swiss? Or is that just Swiss bankers?
blush.gif

sammy

Reaction score
What do you all think of A. Lange & Sohne? How does it compare to others like Patek, Breguet, and IWC? I really like the look of A. Lange & Sohne's Saxonia Automatik in pink gold.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
What do you all think of A. Lange & Sohne? How does it compare to others like Patek, Breguet, and IWC? I really like the look of A. Lange & Sohne's Saxonia Automatik in pink gold.
This may or may not be a popular opinion, but other than being beautiful, Breguet has started to leave me a bit cold. Lange is the level of Patek.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This may or may not be a popular opinion, but other than being beautiful, Breguet has started to leave me a bit cold. Lange is the level of Patek.

breguet5.JPG

I would sell my wife and parents for a Breguet No.5 but most of their wristwatches leave me cold too (I must admit La Tradition is an interesting watch but I cannot see myself actually wearing it).

I am a huge fan of Lange but I have a special love for the ones with incredibly intricate movement structure and decoration (i.e. not the automatic ones), especially the Datograph and Double-Split Chrono. For anyone who has not done this, please stop by your Lange watch dealer and look through the caseback of a double-split Lange - it is the most mesmerizing thing - it feels like you're looking through 10 inches deep of slices and plates.... Spectacular sight
inlove.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads