• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Construction Pictures

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This seems to be all the rage right now, so I figured that I would take some pictures of some of the construction details of an Anna Matuozzo shirt. Note that some may seem similar to various RTW Neapolitan shirts, but the hand stitching is much finer and the stitches per inch are close to double what one would find on a Kiton shirt. 1. Shoulder seam hand finishing 2. Sleeve attached and stitched by hand 3. Collar hand finished 4. Back armhole seam finished by hand 5. Side seams sewn first by machine and then by hand, shirt hem rolled and stitched by hand and seam joint made without the ridiculous gussets that hide sloppy work.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Continued:

1. Handmade buttonhole
2. Hand-attached thick mother of pearl button in buttonhole
3. Hand sewn front of sleeve attachment
4. Hand stitched collar attachment.

Now, I am not sure what role some of these features play in the quality of a shirt. Some would say none, some would say a lot. Certainly they take a lot of time and in some way justify a higher cost. Nonetheless they are interesting to see as would some from other shirtmakers.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some similar photos I posted a few weeks ago of a Frank Foster bespoke shirt.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Beautiful pics.

A couple of questions. First, what in your experience is the advantage of hand stitching on shirt seams? I've read the argument that machine stitching is stronger. Second, what besides ornamental value would hand stitching a machine stitched seam serve?

First, all shirt seams are stitched twice. Generally they are done either with double needle one pass or single needle two passes. The first is to secure the seam and the second to hold the seam allowance in place. Instead Anna does the first pass by machine, and the second by hand. She believes that she gets a less bulky seam this way and that the seam is less rigid and therefore more body conforming than the two machine stitches while retaining the strength of a machine stitch. Also, she says that this is how she learned almost 50 years ago and likes keeping the tradition. This is really for side seams and sleeve seams. The bottom hem is done only once and by hand for aesthetic and tradition reasons as it takes no wear.

The body-sleeve and body-collar attachments are done by hand because she thinks they are more comfortable and flexible that way.

brescd01

Reaction score
How much do AM's shirts cost these days?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01

Go to Napoli David! Antonio and Salvatore send you their regards.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Matt

AM's shirt is quite beautiful. I am not a fan of hand work. this is much finer then what I have seen from the usual suspects.

Hoff: next time press your shirt before taking the photos. the seams all look tight and puckered.

carl

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for these pictures. I hope to one day see a well-made shirt with hand stitching like a Matuozzo in person. That will probably change my opinion. But for now, this only confirms that my tastes have been conditioned to prefer a well made machine stitched shirt. The one place where I really like the extra handwork is on the buttonholes (and, of course, the button shanks). I also really like the finishing on the hem, but the fact that it is hand done isn't as important as the general clean appearance. Where I dislike the hand stitching the most is where it looks "picked", like on the collar band and the shoulder seam.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01

Classic Bresch.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
No, manton. The classic Bresch demand is:

"How much did you pay for those, and does anyone know where I can buy them for less."

Preferably in a Eastern block nation.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Preferably in a Eastern block nation.

Copied from Jantzen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads