• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of Ralph lauren compared to Brioni, Kiton?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was expected a bit of "debat d'ecole" between two factions ,the Italian and British/American influences ,but being neither of them ,i still want information regarding Ralph Lauren purple label...
Always look for the third way,my son...
Saint-Andrew Milan are doing their suits if i did follow the argument...
The Black label collection is produced by them?
By the way,I 'm a bit disappointed by all the shite and that's an understatement produced by Ralph Lauren ....
Their shirts are getting worse and the quality of the rest is awful and overpriced...
One reason to wear Kiton or Brioni over Ralph LAUREN: The local spotty teenager does not wear Brioni or kiton or does not know what Kiton is...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
One reason to wear Kiton or Brioni over Ralph LAUREN: The local spotty teenager does not wear Brioni or kiton or does not know what Kiton is...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

He also probably doesn't know what Purple Label is either and is wearing some Polo Jean Co. products, so the exclusive bent works there as well. For spotty teenagers.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Do you keep the brand tag sewn on the left sleeve? If not, why does it matter if your suit is RL or Kiton if you like the quality and fit? "The local spotty teenager" cannot tell which on eyou're wearing

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Sorry but that's a crock of ****. Fit has much more to do with the body type and how the shoulder of the jacket fits an individual than quality. I own multiple RLPL (Saint Andrews), Sartoria Saint Andrews, Brioni, and Kiton suits, and am slowly replacing the majority of my businesswear with Saint Andrews mainline or RLPL because I feel the fit is siginificantly better for me. As far as construction goes, I'll defer to others but many have mentioned that SA has as much or more handwork than Brioni and the fabric quality is approximately the same. I'm not fond of Kiton's more delicate fabrics although they are certainly luxurious.

BTW if you are talking about comparing Cantarelli or Chester Barrie for RLPL to Kiton/Brioni I might agree, but I consider Saint Andrews to be on the same level as the other two. Of course which style you like is a personal choice.

First of all, it all depends which Kiton model you try on, because yes each model is different. At the same time, the drape is going to be a lot better on a Kiton than on a St. Andrews, especially the models cut for RLPL, and thus it will, sans tailoring, off the peg wear better.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's just fantasy right there. I own a few RLPL (both CB and St Andrews), as well as Brioni and Kiton suits and, although I really like the Kiton and Brioni, they are absolutely not in a different league. They are all very well made suits, use the best fabrics and have great styling and details (which differ slightly between brands of course)

I said the fit was leagues ahead, the handiwork and finishing is another matter.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I think that is a very useful description.

When Louis introduced "Oxxford 2000" a few years ago, as their "bespoke" offering (I know...we are already in trouble...), I remember occasional cases of similar descriptive exaggeration by the sales staff. I don't really blame them...it is still a nice store, although diminished as I see it from its peak under Mr. Pearlstein.

- B

Yeah, she hasn't done a good job, IMHO.

Jon.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course , i keep the name on the sleeve....
I'm only buying Hillfiger,Lacoste ,YSL homme and Ralph Lauren for the little polo tag!!!!
A sense of exclusivity is always synonym with luxury ,except when we're talking of STD!!!!!!!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I said the fit was leagues ahead
But that makes little, if any, sense. I hope you can see that. Fit is relative to the wearer so is different for everyone. If what you're trying to say is that the cut (or styling) of the jacket was far better, then I'm OK with you finding it to your liking but it is by no means "leagues ahead"

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My observation has been that, much like the infatuation over the John Lobb shoes, Kiton garments have been so hyped that they are nearly irreproachable.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
First of all, it all depends which Kiton model you try on, because yes each model is different. At the same time, the drape is going to be a lot better on a Kiton than on a St. Andrews, especially the models cut for RLPL, and thus it will, sans tailoring, off the peg wear better.

Jon.

I posted four pictures. Please point out the drape and lapel roll differences if they are so obvious. I would be impressed if you could correctly identify the four jackets.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I posted four pictures. Please point out the drape and lapel roll differences if they are so obvious. I would be impressed if you could correctly identify the four jackets.

Drizz,

It's all but impossible to point out differences based on pictures. It's clear you have decided on what your view of the world is but based on my experience with SA suits, I simply have a different take. Seems like there are many different opinions on this thread. I can only share my experience with SA and it was not good. Maybe things are getting better but I'm not going back.

Kiton and Brioni are very spendy these days but they make a damn good suit. I like my Oxxford but the fabrics and buttonhole work still need some work as they are rough. Their pants waistband is the highlight for me.

If others feel differently then they can vote with their wallet and buy something else, but I don't feel SA is at this better quality level of Kiton and Brioni.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can't tell, but it looks like your arms are way too jacked for the first suit.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
But that makes little, if any, sense. I hope you can see that. Fit is relative to the wearer so is different for everyone. If what you're trying to say is that the cut (or styling) of the jacket was far better, then I'm OK with you finding it to your liking but it is by no means "leagues ahead"

I wouldn't even go this far. Cut and, particularly, styling are subjective. Someone (or even the majority of people) may appreciate the cut or styling of a Kiton more than a Saint Andrews, but this doesn't make one garment inherently better than the other (whether the cut or styling of a particular maker is more suited to a person's body type is another issue all together). I have made similar arguments with regard to shoes in the past (e.g. Alden vs. Edward Green), but it's a bit like pissing against the wind on this forum.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
It's all but impossible to point out differences based on pictures. It's clear you have decided on what your view of the world is but based on my experience with SA suits, I simply have a different take. Seems like there are many different opinions on this thread. I can only share my experience with SA and it was not good. Maybe things are getting better but I'm not going back.
It's impossible to idenfity suits from pictures? The shoulders are completely different and since you've owned all of them it should be easy for you to identify which suit is which, no? If the lapel roll is "obviously worse" it should also be easy for you to point out exactly what is wrong with the lapel roll of the Saint Andrews. The same goes for Jon, since differences in drape should easily be identifiable from pictures.

Pariolino

Reaction score
For lapels only the first and last are clearly the winners.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics