• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who likes their Loake shoes?

CitizenK

Reaction score
I have worn a pair of Loake "Bootmaker" chukkas (in chestnut) for the past year. Bought them from Herring shoes, seconds on sale.

They fit well, are comfortable, look nice and have worn well.

I suppose it's all a matter of taste.

If I find another pair that fit well and I like them, I will buy...

Enjoy!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have, I guess, three pairs. One is straight-up Loake, the other two are Loake for CT.

Loake Mad-Dogs: nice looking, fairly comfortable. No major gripe. Not perfect but nor do I regret the purchase.

CT/Loake cherry brown brogue boot: love them. Look beautiful, feel great.

CT/Loake full-cut black calf w/ medallion: nice/good shoes, though not perfect.

I'm wearing my first pair of AEs right now. I think I'd rate them a little higher, but not terribly so. I either have very picky feet (i.e. no shoe is perfect) or very bad taste and no sense. I'm sure someone will tell me which.

I say if they are no more than $150 (including shipping and taxes) then they're okay for me.

b

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Loake Thomas model in black calf, in my opinion there is not much difference between them and my pair of AE'S fairfax in chestnut. i would agree with the comment that they do fit a bit wide. But as for feeling like they are going to fall apart at any moment, just not true at all.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one pair from the 1880's range, and my experience seems to be like many others': decent, but not great.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
I am always reading people putting down loake shoes. From crappy corrected grain in their standard lines to hard soles and cheap leather in their 1880s line - Loake has certainly been ragged on here. So, I was hesitant when i decided to make a purchase. I ordered the Savoy from the 1880 line in Chestnut and could not be more thrilled. These shoes were comfortable from day one (it usually takes me weeks to break in AEs), look great, and have a nice colour. The construction seems fine and the shape is very elegant. I could not be more happy with the purchase.

Anyone else like their Loake shoes (I am sure I am not the only one)? Anyone else willing to post their cheap Loake Appreciation?

DSCF0994.jpg

DSCF0995.jpg

I agree. Mine are my faves and are not cobbler and from simple polishing they have developed their own shades.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
I've finally got around to sorting out and photographing mine...

Picture311.jpg

Picture312.jpg

Truro on the left, Twyning (which I think may be a CT shoe) on the right.

Picture313.jpg

Loake for CT on the left, Loake for Herring Shoes on the right.

From my limited experience, I like them, although I find that they run a little wide. I'd like to pick up one or two on the Mayfair last for comparison. I paid an average of about £62 per pair shipped, thanks to the good people at Herring Shoes and at this sort of price (say £50-85 range) I think they offer good value for money, for a UK buyer at least, and would be a good foundation for a collection.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anthony Jordan
Would I be very far off if I guessed that these (reading from the left) are Wells, Durham (or perhaps a CT variant), Norwich, Truro, Wells again?

Spot on! You certainly know your Loakes (or your 1880's at least)!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anthony Jordan
Picture313.jpg
Loake for CT on the left, Loake for Herring Shoes on the right.

I have the pair on the left. For $125 or whatever I paid, I think they were a great bargain. Since suede is much harder to clean then calfskin, I prefer to spend less on it. I stain them too easily. Also, they're welted and quite comfortable. I'll probably get another pair this winter. No, they're not EG or C&J handgrade quality, but they're a fraction of the price and a very attractive fall winter staple.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I have the pair on the left. For $125 or whatever I paid, I think they were a great bargain. Since suede is much harder to clean then calfskin, I prefer to spend less on it. I stain them too easily. Also, they're welted and quite comfortable. I'll probably get another pair this winter. No, they're not EG or C&J handgrade quality, but they're a fraction of the price and a very attractive fall winter staple.

Yeah, I have the same one too, and I follow the same line of reasoning.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twynings in chestnut:
DSC00369-1.jpg
And I agree with the seeming consensus here: decent, but not fantastic quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads