• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating in DC

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Which art school do you go to?

Cooper Union

to this hookah place
I'm not looking to drink, but I have been to the place you're talking about, I think. It's called Soussi, or Sous, or something, and is on the corner; I went there once looking for some regular old dinner and ended up on a pillow in a dark smoky room. Not too bad. Prince, on the other hand, I find to be terrible and will never go to again.

Actually, I think you're probably talking about a different hookah place, next to and above the District Line. I hear they're nice, especially to pretty young girls.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The home test was a time of great stress and resignation. In the end I stopped attempting to be as clever and conceptual as possible and just did what I would initially think of for the problem. They are definitely not looking for one specific way, from what I've seen of other students' tests; some people do each problem as literally as possible, some get completely convoluted, some make the entire test linked together to form one larger work, some don't even finish. I think finishing is a good idea, though. As corny as it sounds, I think they just want to see some attempt at showing your own, not contrived, style.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Ive been there a **** load of times but only after 10 usually so IDK. However, Busboys and Poet aint that bad either..its kinda like tryst but with a different crowd and soehwat better service and seating...
They dont card for entry at anytime so you can def stay there till close...

Also, if you are underage and want to drink with out an ID go to this hookah place ...(I cant remember the name rightnow for some reason but its past maggie moos down hill and its not prince) its a small place go up stairs sit down and order whatever you want ..they shoudlnt card u

I'll second Busboys and Poets. It's not as chi-chi as Tryst.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
The home test was a time of great stress and resignation. In the end I stopped attempting to be as clever and conceptual as possible and just did what I would initially think of for the problem. They are definitely not looking for one specific way, from what I've seen of other students' tests; some people do each problem as literally as possible, some get completely convoluted, some make the entire test linked together to form one larger work, some don't even finish. I think finishing is a good idea, though. As corny as it sounds, I think they just want to see some attempt at showing your own, not contrived, style.

Sounds like a challenge. I welcome it.

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Does anyone frequent Tryst? I go there to draw people sometimes but have always left before 9pm because of its transformation into an ID checking lounge (and the usually dim the lights around 8:55). If you've been there about an hour beforehand will they just leave you be or ask you to give proof of age?

I don't know why anyone would know this and actually don't care. I just wanted to bring up Tryst. Don't really like their sandwiches, service is dodgy (though good if you want to skip out on your check, unfortunately I spend the time to hunt down my waitress and make sure she takes my cash), but they give you a big mug of coffee with stale animal crackers and it feels like a bunch of living rooms were smushed together and the walls removed.

Pretty people, as well.

I should be a boy about town on Yelp.

I went there once years ago. Met a girl there who wanted to make out with me while we were having a drink. After a while, she excused herself, went to the ladies, and when she returned, she tucked something into my suit pocket. Then she gave me one last kiss and walked out.

Looking in my pocket, I discovered her thong.

So I have fond memories of Tryst but have never returned.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
I went there once years ago. Met a girl there who wanted to make out with me while we were having a drink. After a while, she excused herself, went to the ladies, and when she returned, she tucked something into my suit pocket. Then she gave me one last kiss and walked out. Looking in my pocket, I discovered her thong. So I have fond memories of Tryst but have never returned.
Holy sh*t that is pretty awesome!!!
bounce2.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Old Glory on Friday night with some friends. What a stupid policy they have for their back deck. You have to wait in line, until someone leaves. It's one out, one in only. And the deck wasn't even busy. There were probably 20 people on it at any given time. There were at least 2 bouncers guarding that deck, and one was a total douchebag. If my friends didn't want to go there, I'd have left. What a ******* waste of time and money. I'll never go back there again.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Penang (for the millionth time) today. Love the beef rendang. I think I get it everytime.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teaism, I used to go there all the time and now am beginning to return. Maybe my favorite tea house, in terms of price/atmosphere/quality all lining up, of my exploring DC and New York.

This only applies to the Dupont Circle location, though, because I like to sit for at least an hour and do my thing. The Penn Quarter location is nice enough, the upstairs is not nearly as cosy as the Dupont one and the basement is chinese restaurant (albeit nice chinese restaurant) -esque.

The third location I have not visited, but they have strange hours and from photos looks uncomfortable.

Also, avoid the sandwiches. Though most if not all of the dishes are nicely prepared and tasty, the sandwiches are pre-made and lackluster. And if you too like to sit for a few hours without continuing to buy things, the Dupont location has its busy times and if the manager is there he will ask you to leave.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I went to Old Glory on Friday night with some friends. What a stupid policy they have for their back deck. You have to wait in line, until someone leaves. It's one out, one in only. And the deck wasn't even busy. There were probably 20 people on it at any given time. There were at least 2 bouncers guarding that deck, and one was a total douchebag. If my friends didn't want to go there, I'd have left. What a ******* waste of time and money. I'll never go back there again.
Aside from the poor service, how was the food?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
I went to Penang (for the millionth time) today. Love the beef rendang. I think I get it everytime.

Where's Penang? I need a new asian place (any kind, I like it all).

b

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

Food's ok there - I guess as good as a fast food BBQ place is expected.

As for the Friday/Sat night ambience, I guess I'm bitter from being bounced out a few years ago, but I found the doormen/bouncers to have awfully short tempers and quick triggers to throw you out. For the record, I kept toasting my buddy (bottles) a little aggressively to get the beer to spill and the bouncer didn't like that.

bigstar[1].gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

I didn't have any food. We were bar hopping, so I got there a bit after 1AM.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Where's Penang? I need a new asian place (any kind, I like it all).

b

It's right off of M Street. It's about a five minute walk from the Dupont Circle metro station, you just walk straight down from where the Krispy Kreme is. It's strictly Malaysian, I go bonkers over the ice-tea.

http://www.penangusa.com/location_dc.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads