• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kabbaz Shirts

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Who?

This guy:

Originally Posted by Khoa
manton, if it is not too much to ask, I think photographs of you wearing one of your Kabbaz shirts would make this thread HOF worthy.

This thread was not exactly meant to be HOF worthy, so no worries.

I wasn't that worried.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Thinking of placing an order?

Or would the potentially useful info be used to make Ginza up their game?

At one time I was considering placing an order, but I'm geographically challenged when it comes to working with New York based makers. Adding a travel premium to Kabbaz shirts was out of the question.

I haven't even tried Ginza's top of the line shirts yet. The ones I've had made are priced slightly lower than Brooks' MTM shirts and are vastly superior. I imagine their full bespoke shirts would be nearly equal to most of the finest bespoke shirts available.

I just thought it would be educational to have a detailed and illustrated discussion of what justifies the price and the reputation of Kabbaz shirts. This seems to be a subject people have great trouble discussing rationally.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I just thought it would be educational to have a detailed and illustrated discussion of what justifies the price and the reputation of Kabbaz shirts.

When you set the bar that high, you enter mafoofan territory. It's not for me or any other customer to say that Kabbaz prices or his reputation are "justified." I suppose if I believed they were, and if I wanted to take the time, I could write out a lengthy argument as to why I thought they are justified. But then all you or anyone else has to do is say either "not proved" or "even if everything you write is true, they are not justified." "Justified" is too much in the mind of the beholder.

All I can say is whether I think the shirts are good (I do), whether I think they are better than shirts from other makers I have tried (I do), and whether they are enough better to make me want to pay his much higher price (I don't).

That doesn't mean I necessarily think is price is unjustified. He would claim that his higher price is necessary to produce his level of quality. Since I don't know where else to get his level of quality at any price, maybe he's right. I don't know. All I know is, the marginal improvements in quality from Geneva to Kabbaz are, by and large, not worth paying 3-4 times per shirt. That is, not worth it to me.

Is that rational enough for you?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Is that rational enough for you?

Yes.

Clearly, something "justifies" Kabbaz's prices to certain customers or he would not be able to remain in business charging the prices he does.

My question would better have been phrased thus: What is it about Kabbaz shirts that leads you to evaluate them as highest quality?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
My question would better have been phrased thus: What is it about Kabbaz shirts that leads you to evaluate them as highest quality?

Asked and answered, in a thread I believe you earlier said that you have read.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted "high" and would buy Kabbaz shirts if I lived on the east coast and so had opportunities to be fitted. The price is not so dear if you compare with Charvet made-to-measure, which is my current best source. I especially like the shirt with the blue stripes.

cuffthis

Reaction score
All I know is, the marginal improvements in quality from Geneva to Kabbaz are, by and large, not worth paying 3-4 times per shirt. That is, not worth it to me.

I use this same rational with wine buying (and drinking). Is it really worth 5 times more for a 100 RP point 1st Growth vs. a 95 point lesser growth? Can you really ascertain the difference between those 5 points?

And can you really ascertain the difference between the quality of said shirtings?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis
I use this same rational with wine buying (and drinking). Is it really worth 5 times more for a 100 RP point 1st Growth vs. a 95 point lesser growth? Can you really ascertain the difference between those 5 points?

And can you really ascertain the difference between the quality of said shirtings?

The "real scale" is a ten point scale. Using the 10-point scale, it is easier is differentiate between good and lousy bottles of wine.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Manton, you know you're being disingenuous with this thread. I lack the time to point out how.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Manton, you know you're being disingenuous with this thread. I lack the time to point out how.

There are a lot of errors in what you write, of course, and someday if I have the time I will point out what they are.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There are a lot of errors in what you write, of course, and someday if I have the time I will point out what they are.

There is no way to evaluate the quality of Kabbaz shirts, which appears to be what you are asking the forum to do, by showing a photo of a few of them on hangers. Don't sink to the level of some forum mountebank.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
There is no way to evaluate the quality of Kabbaz shirts, which appears to be what you are asking the forum to do, by showing a photo of a few of them on hangers.

Oh, I don't know. A picture is worth a thousand words, and all that.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But "worth a thousand words" to whom? And can you back this up?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

What are you implicating?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads