• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Station wagon recomendations

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going shopping this weekend with the wife, hopefully to buy a new car for her. We were thinking of something with more utility than a sedan, like a wagon. I do not want an American or an Asian make, trying to stay with something euro like Audi, BMW, etc. Any recommendations from owners would be appreciated.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
I am going shopping this weekend with the wife, hopefully to buy a new car for her. We were thinking of something with more utility than a sedan, like a wagon. I do not want an American or an Asian make, trying to stay with something euro like Audi, BMW, etc. Any recommendations from owners would be appreciated.

no minivan?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
no minivan?

No, we only have one little one. She has been driving an X5 for the last three years and wants something smaller now.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have yourself a lot of choices:

Do you need/want all-wheel drive? How much where you looking to spend? Stick shift or automatic?

If money is no object MB E63 AMG wagon is pretty cool. If you are looking for something not too expensive and not thirsty with gas then you should look at audi A4 2.0T avant. Don't you own an M3?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, we only have one little one. She has been driving an X5 for the last three years and wants something smaller now.

cant help you then. good luck.

although, I drive a matrix, great milage, simple no frills car, a huge amount of storage room. it isn't really a station wagon, but it is something in between. cheap, fast, cheap to run, great space, all the seats fold down. with one kid, it is a great car.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
You have yourself a lot of choices:

Do you need/want all-wheel drive? How much where you looking to spend? Stick shift or automatic?

If money is no object MB E63 AMG wagon is pretty cool. If you are looking for something not too expensive and not thirsty with gas then you should look at audi A4 2.0T avant. Don't you own an M3?

AWD would be nice, automatic a must and the budget is around 50k. I am planning on driving the Audi, the styling is nice.

The M3 is my fun car, this would be for her and she can not drive a stick. I am not secure enough to drive a wagon or an automatic yet.
tounge.gif

edit: globe, thanks for the recommendation but I think my wife will want something a bit more luxurious. I think leather, heated seats, etc will be must-haves for her as well as the automatic ******.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
edit: globe, thanks for the recommendation but I think my wife will want something a bit more luxurious. I think leather, heated seats, etc will be must-haves for her as well as the automatic ******.

I can understand that - I just had to upgrade my wife's ride, too.

aarghh

Reaction score
I like the A3. My neighbour owns one, as well as an Allroad, and I like the A3's aesthetic better.

Keep in mind I drive a WRX wagon, though.

DMcG

Reaction score
I drove a 3-series wagon in Germany for about a month (although it was the previous generation) and really liked it. It was way down on power compared to the Legacy GT wagon I own but probably just as fun. And it definitely felt more solid and luxurious.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You then have a choice of A4 2.0T Avant, A4 3.2 Avant , A6 3.2 Avant or my personal favorite - S4 Avant, which I believe Mrs. Iammatt recently purchased.

Then the C class and E350 Wagon (may be slighly over your budget) and 328xi and 535xi wagons which you probably looked at already.

If you want something even smaller you can look at Audi A3 3.2 quattro.

Dmax (who is man enough to drive an audi wagon with twin-turbos, stick-shift and a child seat
laugh.gif
)

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's up your alley, but you might want to also check out Volvo, or maybe a Saab 9-3 or 9-5.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Dmax (who is man enough to drive an audi wagon with twin-turbos, stick-shift and a child seat
laugh.gif
)

worship.gif

I am sure one of the cars you mentioned will be in our garage Monday. I really like the design of Audi, we'll see how the dealership experience goes this weekend. I am leaning towards the A4 3.2, hopefully someone who has owned one for a bit will chime in.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an Audi A4 Avant 2.8. All of the Audi dealership service departments in my area sucked so badly it drove me nuts to deal with them. And that's for standard service--God help you if you make a warranty claim on something the dealer doesn't agree with. It's really a shame that such beautifully designed cars have such dismal after-purchase support. I have a Lexus now, and while the car isn't nearly as fun to drive, the level of customer service is amazing compared to Audi.

At this point, if I wanted a Euro AWD wagon I'd get a Passat wagon with 4Motion--naturally somewhat Audilike in build and design, but minus the premium charged for the Audi branding. I do think the Volvo AWD wagons are nice, but I don't really like the way they handle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads