• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My 1st STF 501s

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
Why not get a 31 if 32 is big and 30 is too snug?

because they're stf's - shrink to fit. if it fits "just right" at purchase, and then "shrinks", it'll end up tighter than "just right", wouldn't it.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I was referencing his comment that 30s were too tight and 32 was loose...thus 31 might work better....

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
I was referencing his comment that 30s were too tight and 32 was loose...thus 31 might work better....

yes, but these haven't gone through any soaking or washing yet. if the 30 is tight and the 32 is baggy as the OP says, then the 31 could be the best fit.

and then the OP will soak/wash them and lose 1-2 inches in the waist (or even more - i think 501 stf's can lose up to 3 inches). His perfectly fitting 31's will be either 28, 29 or 30's at that point. and unlikely to fit.

that was my point. you can't buy 501 stf's based on how they fit unsoaked/unwashed unless you plan to never wash them, and only dry clean them.

yeayea

Reaction score
Shrunk to Fit - just in time for the heat wave!

exchanged the previous pair for 32x32s and shrunk in a hot tub for 40 minutes

this is a much tighter fit (obviously) - the fabric bunches up a bit in places (when did i get a bubble-butt?) - im expecting that will stop after they are broken in

im supprised by the amount of shrinkage (and the amount of dye that washed off!)

although i do like the fit here (kinda-skinny), i think i like the pre-shrunk fit better (kinda-baggy). i might try this again with 34x32s to match the original fit .. these are snug in the waist (although i am trying to drop an inch off my waist this summer)

too bad its frikin 90 degrees out or i would be able to break them in quickly.

*also, im assuming regular washing with cold water will be fine from here on out and will not cause further shrinking - please confirm.*

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those don't look that slim fitted really, still look fairly relaxed, especially through the leg where the 501 should be pretty tapered.

velobran

Reaction score
^^ Agreed. They look baggy, at least by the standards set forth by this holy forum.

yeayea

Reaction score
i agree they are still baggy (by SF standards) - i just meant that they were more fitted than my original pics (the pre-shrunk version) - i guess since they sit at the waist (and not the hips) they feel more fitted to me - i definitely agree that they are still loose - im afraid to shrink them more b/c i dont have room to give at the waist and inseam

overall, what do you think? are they a good fit? are they SF approved? Can i rock a pair of RMWs in them?

aside:
i realized recently that 'slim fit' will work no way no how for my body type. and do to my somewhat athletic legs i cant fit my thighs into the slim jeans i tried (H&M sliqs)

edit: looking at the pics they really do look baggy - they sit snug at the waist which makes them feel more fitted than they look i suppose.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
i agree they are still baggy (by SF standards) - i just meant that they were more fitted than my original pics (the pre-shrunk version) - i guess since they sit at the waist (and not the hips) they feel more fitted to me - i definitely agree that they are still loose - im afraid to shrink them more b/c i dont have room to give at the waist and inseam

overall, what do you think? are they a good fit? are they SF approved? Can i rock a pair of RMWs in them?

aside:
i realized recently that 'slim fit' will work no way no how for my body type. and do to my somewhat athletic legs i cant fit my thighs into the slim jeans i tried (H&M sliqs)

How big are your thighs/calves? I doubt slim fit won't work for you...

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
How big are your thighs/calves? I doubt slim fit won't work for you...

21.5" thighs 15" calves 35" waist

i couldnt fit into the 32" waist sliqs

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
A good slim fit(not tight) will work for you. It works for pretty much everyone. You can just say you're afraid of trying on something slimmer. I've seen bigger dudes than you wear classy looking slim jeans with no problem.
do i need to up the waist size on a slim fit jean? i wear a 32" in the levis 514s and they have a bit of room in the waist. everytime i try a slim fit in 32" its very tight in the waist crotch and thighs. maybe i should try a 34"? edit: im willing to try something slimmer - ill admit that its somewhat out of my comfort zone - but im willing to try it - im just saying that i havent found a fit so far that works - im here to improve my looks and image so im willing to go out of my comfort zone.. edit edit: yeah. i mean, im no bodybuilder. im certainly no an ecotomorph either. i do have some excess weight on the waist, however. im a pretty small guy overall so im a bit puzzled

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads