• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The World's best dress shirts-GQ article

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I've seen many and own a few. Very fine shirts. Not worth it (to me) to pay 3-4 times more for a shirt that is maybe 15-20% better than I can get elsewhere.

Thanks for the assessment. Still, it's odd how many forum members boast about Kabbaz shirts as if they had firsthand experience or knowledge.

WSW

Reaction score
GQ always has great pinup photoshoots, which makes up for their articles.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Thanks for the assessment. Still, it's odd how many forum members boast about Kabbaz shirts as if they had firsthand experience or knowledge.
I have 2. They are.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Also, its kinda dated..but Michael Douglas's shirts in Wallstreet were outfitted by Kabbaz

yeah, i heard the studio could come to an agreement with E. Glennie, so they went with their second choice.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Glennie is doing wardrobe for the remake though, starring Michael Irvin and Richard "Rip" Hamilton

CPATAILOR

Reaction score
I wear ALex Kabbaz shirts and can speak for tbe highest level of fit and construction as well as superior customer service.

It makes no sense to compare the price of an AK shirt with that of a European maker. Comparason should be with the other US maker. I have shirts made by Paris and Geneva. Good shirts -- Not great. The biggest problem IMO and that of my friends is that there is a consistency issue with both of these makers. Wrong fabric delivered, wrong collar style delivered, below average button holes, wrong monogram or wrong placement of monogram etc etc.

Is it worth paying 2 or 3 times for a AK shirt. For me, Yes. I happen to think that the best shirt $ for $ are the shirts produced by Carl Goldberg of CEGO Shirtmakers in NYC.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CPATAILOR
It makes no sense to compare the price of an AK shirt with that of a European maker. Comparason should be with the other US maker.

For the prices Kabbaz charges and given the very large minimum order requirement, he should absolutely be compared to European shirtmakers. How much does a flight to Paris, London, or Rome cost these days?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I have 2. They are.

How do you only have 2? I thought his minimum order was 6 or something.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It makes no sense to compare the price of an AK shirt with that of a European maker. Comparason should be with the other US maker.

I agree and would go as far as saying that there are a lot of things you can't compare about them many coming down to shirtmaking philosophy. I am a happy customer of Matuozzo for all of the reasons you state for your contentment with Kabbaz, and would say that a great shirtmaker (tailor etc) is one who inspires those feeling in their clients.

My guess is that if you gave one of my shirts to Alex and he saw me wearing it he would have a lot of complaints, and the same if Anna saw one of yours and you in it, but other shirtmakers are not the intended audience. Clients are.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
II have shirts made by Paris and Geneva. Good shirts -- Not great. The biggest problem IMO and that of my friends is that there is a consistency issue with both of these makers. Wrong fabric delivered, wrong collar style delivered, below average button holes, wrong monogram or wrong placement of monogram.
Interesting. I had that problem with Paris. What made it worse was that in every instance, they denied the mistake and refused to rectify it.

I have yet to have even one thing go wrong with Geneva. The main drawback to Geneva is that you have work through a few shirts to get the pattern right, and you pay for those shirts. With AK, such is not the case -- yet his price point is still so much higher (more like 3-4 times) that even eating few Geneva shirts turns out to be cheaper, even in the short run. That said, even my first shirt from Geneva was wearable; but the fit is noticeably inferior to what they make for me now. And my first Geneva shirt fit better than my last Paris shirt. My latest Geneva shirts fit about 85-90% as well as my Kabbaz shirts. There are certain small kinks that I think they just don't know how to work out. Oh well.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have seen many AK shirts, and only a few AM shirts (mostly in pics, a handful in life). It seems that they have quite a different approach to pattern cutting, not just constructions methods. An apples-to-apples comparison is thus difficult to make. I would bet that AK would look at AM shirt and think either that the fit was off or that was something screwy about it, and AM would look at an AK shirt and think "Fits well, for a conventional shirt -- if you like that sort of thing." If the choice is between those two, it really does come down to which approach you like better.

Paris, Geneva, and AK, on the other hand, are all basically trying to make the same thing: a classic Jermyn Street/Place Vendome type shirt. Probably more the latter than the former, as Kabbaz and Geneva make slimmer shirts than you typicially get on Jermyn Street. Thus it makes more sense to compare these three.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Interesting. I had that problem with Paris. What made it worse was that in every instance, they denied the mistake and refused to rectify it.

If they have a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy, call me -- I can make you rich.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
If they have a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy, call me -- I can make you rich.

You mean you're a tort laywer?
cry.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Not as a rule, no. But I like to think I'm versatile -- kind of the lawyerly equivalent of the monkstrap loafer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads