• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music for altered states.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The great thing about electronic music is that while it has no musical merit, on the right cocktail it sounds like god himself is talking to you. Goa/psytrance all the way. I have some of my favourite tracks here

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
The great thing about electronic music is that while it has no musical merit, on the right cocktail it sounds like god himself is talking to you.

Goa/psytrance all the way. I have some of my favourite tracks here

I know some of those people are classically trained. Brian Transeau (BT) is one of them.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
You don't know a lot about music, do you?

My sister and my girlfriend are professional musicians, and I sing. However, I was joking with that statement about electronic music. Perhaps a lot of mainstream garbage with generic synth #43 has little musical merit, but the people making the best music absolutely know what they're doing.

Originally Posted by tiecollector
I know some of those people are classically trained. Brian Transeau (BT) is one of them.

BT is amazing, Flaming June is classic.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
My sister and my girlfriend are professional musicians, and I sing. However, I was joking with that statement about electronic music. Perhaps a lot of mainstream garbage with generic synth #43 has little musical merit, but the people making the best music absolutely know what they're doing.

BT is amazing, Flaming June is classic.

Ah, I took your comment at face value and I apologize. I'm a classically trained singer and musician who is attending Berklee and Harvard for Electronic Music Composition, so I'm a little defensive when it comes to the subject. I still have extended family who think I create music by grouping keyboard loops together.
plain.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Ah, I took your comment at face value and I apologize. I'm a classically trained singer and musician who is attending Berklee and Harvard for Electronic Music Composition, so I'm a little defensive when it comes to the subject. I still have extended family who think I create music by grouping keyboard loops together.
plain.gif

Haha if I was attending Berklee and Harvard and someone bashed my fields, I'd get offended even if I was double majoring in spousal abuse and selling crack to kids

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I have been reading through it and either re-discovering some music I had lost in my busy life, and discovering some music I had never heard. I've added probably 50 songs to my "Chill Music" playlist thanks to this thread.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm resurrecting my own thread. Why? Because, a. I can and b. **** you.

Seriously though, people's suggestions in here, combined with some from my friends, have opened up a whole new field of music to me. Portishead and Animal Collective are some of my favorite bands now, to mention a couple. So thanks guys.

Anyway, I would like to add:

"Salvador Sanchez"- Sun Kil Moon
****, the whole album is incredible. But I feel this song is the most overtly trip. Also, Brian, if you're reading this, thank you. About a year ago I saw you praising it on the music thread, but Rhapsody didn't have it. Fast forward to about a month ago. I got an eMusic subscription and somehow the title "Ghosts of the Great Highway" had been tumbling round the back of my head so I found and downloaded it and now I'm listening to it all the time.

"Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"- Spiritualized
Wow.

Devedra Banhart
Anything is good. Between this and Animal Collective, I'm kind of getting into freak folk.

And last, but not least, I've started listening to Cypress motherfucking Hill again.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend once told me that the best trip he ever had was at a Meat Beat Manifesto show. Actually it was a triple bill with Supreme Love Gods, MBM, and 808state.

He can't get out of his head MBM's performance of "Circles" (from Satyricon).

Or that he was convinced he saw vampires at the show. He said that was really weird.

And he cries nearly every day thinking about how he was so messed up that when 808state came on, he and his friend left the show because the "in crowd" showed up and ruined the vibe. While they were on the tour supporting Gorgeous, which is generally not considered their best album, it does contain any number of gems such as Stormin' Norman, Timb Bomb, and One in Ten which would have sounded great filtered through all of that acid.

That's what he tells me anyway.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads