• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grizzly Bear VS Silverback Gorrila

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tigers are pretty fierce

Tiger kills Crocodile

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
Tigers are pretty fierce

And also better at stalking. Grizzlies are stealthier than you think, but nowhere near a tiger.

A liger, now that's a real dangerous animal. Gosh!

WSW

Reaction score
What about a blue whale vs all? I think the blue whale has a good shot, especially if it has home field advantage.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, Man is the most vicious animal on Earth. Not even a gang of blue whales could survive a single human's onslaught. Wow, I'm such a Debbie Downer.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pssh. Ann Coulter could talk all of these beasties to death.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was in Glacier National Park a few days after a grizzly attack (that included a woman getting her face ripped off) and my very vivid recollection is of being told that grizzlies are the most dangerous animals on earth and would kill any other member of the animal kingdom in a one-on-one fight. "The only thing that can kill a grizzly is another grizzly" is a direct quote. They are very fast, very strong and have deadly jaws and claws. They also are very well protected by thick fur. The only real vulnerability is poor eyesight and there is not much any animal can do to exploit that weakness once a battle has engaged. The rangers did suggest that if you encounter a grizzly at any distance, staying motionless would probably result in its not seeing you and if you were downwind it would be unlikely to know you were there.

As it turns out, we had the worst of all possible experiences - we were traveling upwind, with the result that when we turned a corner on a trail we surprised a mother grizzly and ended up between her cubs (on the trail) and her (in the trees). Mom started to growl at us. We did what any one would do, ignored whatever advice we had been given, panicked, yelled as loud as we could and ran back the way we came. Mom ignored us, perhaps because while we were initially moving towards her, we were running away from the cubs. I have never been so scared before or since (and that includes two attempted armed muggings). The fear of being eaten by a monster runs pretty deep and is like nothing else I have ever experienced. I did not like it.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think a tiger can take a grizzly. It is much more agile and could jump onto the grizzly's back and bite its neck, like in that video with the tiger vs crocodile.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between a polar bear and a grizzly it would probably boil down to size. Although very different in appearance, both species are genetically very close. According to some accounts I've read, their genetic separation occurred only about 100,000 years ago, less than some of the "races" of modern humans. I believe that hybridization between them is possible, but I am not sure...or if the offspring are fertile.

Liger males are sterile, FWIW, but the females are fertile and can be bred back to male lions or tigers.

Between a tiger and a grizzly, my first instinct would be to put my money on the grizzly. I have read that tigers typically avoid black or sloth bears in the wilds of Asia, although these are much less formidable bears than grizzlies. I suppose the Amur (Siberian) tigers must come into contact with brown bears that are for practical purposes identical to our grizzlies, but I've never read about a fight.

HOWEVER, in the old days in California, it was said that a mountain lion could kill a grizzly and did so on occasion, even though the California grizzly was supposed to be a very large race, almost comparable to the coastal brown bears of Alaska. Since a tiger is a vastly more formidable animal than the mountain lion, the implications are obvious.

I think fights like African lions vs. grizzlies and such were staged in places like Mexico at least in the old days. Maybe I'll look into some of these topics.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I think a tiger can take a grizzly. It is much more agile and could jump onto the grizzly's back and bite its neck, like in that video with the tiger vs crocodile.

I think you are mistaken, but, obviously, I can't prove it. But note that male grizzlies at 400-600 pounds are a hundred pounds or more heavier than the typical large tiger(and the largest "normal" grizzlies are over 1,150 lbs as compared to the largest recorded tiger of 1,025). And unlike most other big animals, the grizzly is long of tooth and claw and aggressive in using them. The claws are 3-6" in length and are strong and sharp (though I am sure the jaws are weaker than a tiger's). And its neck, the tiger's favorite point of attack, is particularly strong muscled (the grizzly's distinctive hump) as though intended to protect from tigers.

No matter how convincing I may be on this, I will gladly stay the hell away from tigers too.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
. . . HOWEVER, in the old days in California, it was said that a mountain lion could kill a grizzly and did so on occasion, even though the California grizzly was supposed to be a very large race, almost comparable to the coastal brown bears of Alaska. Since a tiger is a vastly more formidable animal than the mountain lion, the implications are obvious.

My guess is mature cougar vs. very young, very old or sick bear. It is hard to imagine that even the hungriest mountain lion would choose a healthy bear as its prey. That would be a very very low risk and effort v. reward ratio.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contactme_11
I think that is, or was, a walrus (weighing up to 3,500 pounds).
Koo Koo Ca Choo

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This surprised me. I did not have any idea how much more powerful an orca was than a great white.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This surprised me. I did not have any idea how much more powerful an orca was than a great white.

Interesting.

Btw, I think a pissed-off Hippo could take about anything on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics