• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technology Climax.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
I don't understand your assertion that a new model of digital camera "outdates" the previous model - it's still a perfectly good camera. It doesn't stop working all of a sudden.
No, it doesn't but the moment the digital item becomes outdated, most people just throw it out and buy something newer. I doubt most people buy a digital camera to keep for 10 years or something.
You're not insidious mice, you just happen to like the aesthetic of an old camera, and the process of developing. People who buy digital cameras aren't being tricked by marketing departments - they enjoy taking pictures without having to deal with what is, to them, the incovenience of changing film and time-consuming processing. They like being able to take a few pictures until they get it absolutely right. Why is your preference better than their preference?
I'm the person who, with some other people, wrote letters to the governor requesting that they change the YOM law which is a law for old cars and using old license plates. The cut-off date for YOM in California is 1962: http://reviews.ebay.com/DMV-clear-Ca...:-1:LISTINGS:4
I think your dislike of digital comes from two sources: One, you don't like the idea that a technology that was formerly the province of artists and the jetset is now available to "common people"; and two, you've got some notion that if you don't have the absolute pinnacle of technology, the snobs are going to start whispering. Buy a Rolleiflex, problem solved.
Perhaps.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
James, Nick: really, both of you know better. That's all I'm going to say.

Yeah, you're right, I'm going to stop now. Forget I said anything.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
No, it doesn't but

LA LA LA LA NOT LISTENING

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm the sort of person who becomes excited at seeing things like this:
178204479_01dbb91ad4.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'm the sort of person who becomes really excited at seeing things like this:

178204479_01dbb91ad4.jpg

It's good to have enthusiams, even frivilous ones, but it's best not to let said enthusiams cloud your mind to the extent that you think something is best because you like it.

I love ocean liners (and I came to love them when I was younger than you were when you started posting on this forum) but I have to admit that as technology they are inferior to modern transportation, and there is a reason why they are gone.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's good to have enthusiams, even frivilous ones, but it's best not to let said enthusiams cloud your mind to the extent that you think something is best because you like it. I love ocean liners (and I came to love them when I was younger than you were when you started posting on this forum) but I have to admit that as technology they are inferior to modern transportation, and there is a reason why they are gone.
I used to like ocean liners--especially the inter-war ones such as the ones made by Cunard, White Star, Hamburg Amerika, and also especially the ornate steamboats of the South. I spent thousands of dollars on books. I loved the opulent interiors of those ships many of which were unfortunately stripped for commission during war. Decrepit steamboats lying in bogs also excited me, with their tattered opulence intact.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I used to like ocean liners--especially the inter-war ones such as the ones made by Cunard, White Star, Hamburg Amerika, and especially steam-boats of the South. I spent thousands of dollars on books.

OK, once again, you demonstrate that you don't know what you are talking about.

Very few liners were built during the interwar period. Cunard and White Star built none -- until they merged and built the Queen Mary. Hamburg Amerika built none. Its competitor North-German Lloyd built Bremen and Europa in 1929, and later the two companies merged. "Steam-boats of the South" means ... what? Mississippi riverboats? Not ocean liners. Your "thousands of dollars" was apparently ill spent.

Honestly, I believe that you know the things that you know. Why do you insist on pretending to know things that you don't know?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, once again, you demonstrate that you don't know what you are talking about. Very few liners were built during the interwar period. Cunard and White Star built none -- until they merged and built the Queen Mary. Hamburg Amerika built none. Its competitor North-German Lloyd built Bremen and Europa in 1929, and later the two companies merged. "Steam-boats of the South" means ... what? Mississippi riverboats? Not ocean liners. Your "thousands of dollars" was apparently ill spent. Honestly, I believe that you know the things that you know. Why do you insist on pretending to know things that you don't know?
I meant commissioned as they were built by various shipyards like the Titanic was built by Harland & Wolff. As for steam-boats, yes paddle steam riverboats of the Mississippi. Many of the famous liners were built during the inter-war period. What of the Normandie? As for my "pretending", I hardly pretend. For certain things which I'm not especially authoritative on, I have the tendency to muddle various facts and such, which should be a natural human tendency.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I meant commissioned as they were built by various shipyards like the Titanic was built by Harland & Wolff.

In 1910. That was not an inter-war year.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
I have a high regard for your opinion, TS. Is this idea about media your own opinion or is it one you find to be commonly held true?
As far as I can tell, its one of those universal truths that pretty much everyone can agree on. The camera is only as good as the eye behind it. Just because you spent 20k on a digital back medium format camera doesn't mean you are capable of taking good pictures with it. Personally I can't polaroid worth a damn. Its a weakness in my game, I know. Whether the image captured is worth capturing is more important IMO than whether its recorded digitally or with analog equipment. Its just that digital equipment gives the user the ease of use, editing, and eliminates many of the hazards of working with filmstock.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
As far as I can tell, its one of those universal truths that pretty much everyone can agree on. The camera is only as good as the eye behind it. Just because you spent 20k on a digital back medium format camera doesn't mean you are capable of taking good pictures with it. Personally I can't polaroid worth a damn. Its a weakness in my game, I know.

Whether the image captured is worth capturing is more important IMO than whether its recorded digitally or with analog equipment. Its just that digital equipment gives the user the ease of use, editing, and eliminates many of the hazards of working with filmstock.

+1,000

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In 1910. That was not an inter-war year.
Obviously, unless I meant the years between Napoleon and Kaiser Wilhelm. However, there were plenty of famous liners during the '20s and '30s. Wasn't it known as the Golden Age of Ship Travel? Why else did Louis Vuitton, Goyard, etc. build all those steamer trunks in that period? Train travel, you could say, but huge steamer trunks were mostly commissioned for ocean liners.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
IMany of the famous liners were built during the inter-war period.

Yes, but the lines you named built none of them.

What of the Normandie?
The finest ship ever built. Yet for someone as into modernism as you, I would expect you to at least mention Ile de France, Bremen, and Europa, just for starters.

As for my "pretending", I hardly pretend. For certain things which I'm not especially authoritative on, I have the tendency to muddle various facts and such, which should be a natural human tendency.
Look, despite how it may seem, I don't think you are stupid or ignorant. I actually think you are intelligent, and learned about what you have learned. What mystifies me is why you insist on pretending that you know things that you plainly do not know. At best, you can fool some people on the Internet. I believe that you have largely failed at that. OK. So what? Just stop. You have a lot to offer on topics that you really understand. Stick to those for the time being, and learn the rest. I honestly think that you can do it if you put your mind to it.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Whether the image captured is worth capturing is more important IMO than whether its recorded digitally or with analog equipment. Its just that digital equipment gives the user the ease of use, editing, and eliminates many of the hazards of working with filmstock.

But it doesn't eliminate those damned pixels.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, but the lines you named built none of them.
Therein is my muddling. Considering my insufferable insomnia, I should think that the fact I could recite those names is a feat in itself.
The finest ship ever built. Yet for someone as into modernism as you, I would expect you to at least mention Ile de France, Bremen, and Europa, just for starters.
One of my favorites is the SS Andrea Doria. I also like zeppelins.
Look, despite how it may seem, I don't think you are stupid or ignorant. I actually think you are intelligent, and learned about what you have learned. What mystifies me is why you insist on pretending that you know things that you plainly do not know. At best, you can fool some people on the Internet. I believe that you have largely failed at that. OK. So what? Just stop. You have a lot to offer on topics that you really understand. Stick to those for the time being, and learn the rest. I honestly think that you can do it if you put your mind to it.
I'm charmed by your TV moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads