• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Issue of Classic Style

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by N.K.
You would rather read CS than GQ or Vogue? That makes sense. It's a good idea to pass up articles written by world class writers, with photos taken by world class photographers, and really good clothing for...a costume magazine. Maybe you should also drop Esquire and pick up Children's Highlights.

While the last issue was somewhat better, CS still seems like Vanity Press material slapped together by some college kids. The "My Dad's got a barn and Polly can sing, let's put on a show" version of...something. Seriously, this thing can't last long. It's pretty thin and the writings pretty amateurish. Not to mention the photography. Check out the cover; the models pants are so tight the pleats are bulging and he's practically sporting a camel's toe. Poor attention to detail.

As for the holster guy with the specs and the 'stache - oh brother. This magazines going to have about as much appeal to consumer's as a new Buick - not much unless you're at least 69 years old.

N.K.

I like your response.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised at the reaction around here to Men's Vogue. I think it's about the best style magazine out there. Certainly not perfect, but several notches above GQ and CS. Seems like Esquire and Details are getting a bit better too.

The ones that I find worthless now are the Maxims and FHM's, but clearly I'm in the minority, and if I were about ten years younger, I'm sure they'd appeal to me more.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best men's style magazines are those produced in Europe. This may seem like another of those anti-American sentiments, but the visuals and sheer eclecticism of the European style magazines far surpasses any of the dullness which characterizes American periodicals.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You would rather read CS than GQ or Vogue? That makes sense. It's a good idea to pass up articles written by world class writers, with photos taken by world class photographers, and really good clothing for...a costume magazine. Maybe you should also drop Esquire and pick up Children's Highlights.

N.K.

Good clothing in Esquire. Right.

Glad to see we have another junior member expert here.
teacha.gif

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score

While the last issue was somewhat better, CS still seems like Vanity Press material slapped together by some college kids. The "My Dad's got a barn and Polly can sing, let's put on a show" version of...something. Seriously, this thing can't last long. It's pretty thin and the writings pretty amateurish. Not to mention the photography. Check out the cover; the models pants are so tight the pleats are bulging and he's practically sporting a camel's toe. Poor attention to detail.

N.K.

Um...let's see. Blow me. If you want to *********** on the magazine that is your business. I happen to find its enthusiasm and integrity appealing. I like it because it is not so polished and bland like Men's Vogue or blatantly whored out like GQ. Just because you do not find the magazine appealing does not make my taste puerile.

N.K.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
Um...let's see. Blow me. If you want to *********** on the magazine that is your business. I happen to find its enthusiasm and integrity appealing. I like it because it is not so polished and bland like Men's Vogue or blatantly whored out like GQ. Just because you do not find the magazine appealing does not make my taste puerile.

It's okay to question GQ, Men's Vogue, Esquire, Details and the like...but hands off Clasic Style. It is clearly the best men's magazine ever, from writing to photography to wide market appeal. It is rough and amateurish and "un-slick"...which makes it incredibly appealling. It is not whorish like the other magazines - disregard the hat ads and articles on the "Return of the Hat", etc. This is all obvious to me now, my mistake.

As for your request to "blow you"...I'll pass. Have your mother do it, hillbilly. You can rest your issue of CS on her head and read the article on argyle socks, have yourself a real day of it. Ask her if you "taste peurile."

N.K.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for the holster guy with the specs and the 'stache - oh brother. This magazines going to have about as much appeal to consumer's as a new Buick - not much unless you're at least 69 years old.

N.K.

Don't know why you've gotten such a rise out of people...

Though I'd disagree about the good-ness of the clothes in GQ or Vogue, I think you're more correct than people give you credit for.

I enjoyed Manton's article on Peter Mole and the Savile Row one as well. Wasn't able to make it through too many of the rest.

The style photos are nice but not markedly different in style or brands from mainstream men's fashion magazines.

I think it's a nice magazine and provides a solid half hour of entertaining poolside reading but it will be interesting to see if (if it hasn't already) it expands beyond the core Fedora Lounge / AAAC group.

N.K.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Don't know why you've gotten such a rise out of people...

Though I'd disagree about the good-ness of the clothes in GQ or Vogue, I think you're more correct than people give you credit for.

I enjoyed Manton's article on Peter Mole and the Savile Row one as well. Wasn't able to make it through too many of the rest.

The style photos are nice but not markedly different in style or brands from mainstream men's fashion magazines.

I think it's a nice magazine and provides a solid half hour of entertaining poolside reading but it will be interesting to see if (if it hasn't already) it expands beyond the core Fedora Lounge / AAAC group.

Thank you, I agree. I'm not saying all in GQ/Esquire/Vogue etc is great but some things are and the professionalism (IMHO) is many degrees higher. I myself don't understand why it's okay to disparage them at length but, to some, CS is hands off. CS better learn to take some criticism as constructive and act on it if it intends to stay around or become anything other than a small niche mag.

N.K.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I agree. I'm not saying all in GQ/Esquire/Vogue etc is great but some things are and the professionalism (IMHO) is many degrees higher. I myself don't understand why it's okay to disparage them at length but, to some, CS is hands off. CS better learn to take some criticism as constructive and act on it if it intends to stay around or become anything other than a small niche mag.

N.K.

Apparently there is a market for remembering the 30s-50s.

http://www.reminisce.com/2005/SO05/R...&OrgURL=&r_d=y

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
It's okay to question GQ, Men's Vogue, Esquire, Details and the like...but hands off Clasic Style. It is clearly the best men's magazine ever, from writing to photography to wide market appeal. It is rough and amateurish and "un-slick"...which makes it incredibly appealling. It is not whorish like the other magazines - disregard the hat ads and articles on the "Return of the Hat", etc. This is all obvious to me now, my mistake.

As for your request to "blow you"...I'll pass. Have your mother do it, hillbilly. You can rest your issue of CS on her head and read the article on argyle socks, have yourself a real day of it. Ask her if you "taste peurile."

N.K.

I guess you are as stupid as your postings suggest. I clearly stated that you are free to criticize the magazine to your heart's content. You are not free, however, to insult me because I happen to like it. Oh, and buy a dictionary shitbird. It's puerile, not peurile.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a dictionary. "Shitbird" isn't in it.

stirpot.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
even the scrabble dictionary?

I think it's in the Urban Dictionary.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think it's in the Urban Dictionary.

Shitbird? I think that's the Urban Dictionary from the 1950s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads