• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Yep, Partenopea, so of very recent make. Good job!

That's what I'd figured from your guide on it. What do you know about the 'Marcus'/Greenfield jackets?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
eBay has been better than thrifting lately: hardly worn Kiton jacket for $40 (plus reduced shipping)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330137567335

Well done. You've gotta love it- a ladies jacket with "uomo" in the label. The seller also says that Kiton jackets retail for up to $350 in exclusive men's stores.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Well done. You've gotta love it- a ladies jacket with "uomo" in the label. The seller also says that Kiton jackets retail for up to $350 in exclusive men's stores.

A great seller but a little naive about labels. He's got another incorrectly posted Kiton super 180's coming up (too big for me). --- Just be sure to give a good rating since we're getting such a deal.

pejsek

Reaction score
Excellent find, summej2. I really like the large scale pattern of the cloth and the way it's matched up. The store Russo Uomo/Russo Capri seems to have an incredibly high sense of style and taste--the few goods that I've seen from there (I have a few thrifted shirts from Fray and Borrelli) have been better and more interesting than goods from those same makers bearing the humble eponymous tags.
I've had a couple of interesting ebay finds myself lately.
Alan, I've tried to research the Marcus/Greenfield tailored clothing myself but haven't been able to learn much. It seems to be a real bargain when you can find it. A couple of months back I turned up a 3/2 double vented jacket in a really amazing linen-cashmere tweed at a trendy used clothing store in my neighborhood. Go figure.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my local thrift store had a 50% off sale. I found a pair of shell cordovan Walkover Wings, and AE Maxfield loafers for $7 each.

mbell

Reaction score
I finally decided I should have a pink shirt, so started looking more carefully for them in thrifting. Found a Turnbull and Asser for $3. That'll work.
smile.gif

Some other finds include a winter weight charcoal Zanella shirt for $6. New with tags from NM some burgundy Loro Piana cords in a jeans style cut for $8, originally $265. I got some Energie jeans for $10.

At a Salvation Army I found a box of mostly pretty decent ties for $1 each but they were fairly crumpled up. I got a Brooks Brothers that was pretty heavy and looked fairly recent and a really beautiful John W. Nordstrom. The Nordstrom tie had some nasty wrinkles that I was hoping to steam out. After a few days of it just hanging there most of the wrinkles came out on their own and a little steam got the rest.

I reunited the pants and jacket of a pretty recent Hickey-Freeman suit, which always tickles me to no end. The jacket had a very minor hole (probably fixable) in the back and I figured I didn't need a fourth navy suit even if it did have different color pin stripes from the others, so I left it behind.

I got some black tassle loafers made by Brass Boot for $5. I am not familiar with that brand, but they seemed nice enough. I found a Jhane Barnes Platinum Collection shirt for $5. It is quite remarkable.

mike

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
I finally decided I should have a pink shirt, so started looking more carefully for them in thrifting. Found a Turnbull and Asser for $3. That'll work.
smile.gif

The rarest of thrift finds is to come across what you're actually looking for. Congratulations!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
I got some black tassle loafers made by Brass Boot for $5.

I bet they're made in Italy, right?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I thought brass boot was from Spain.

Yes, they say "Made in Spain" on them. They have a nifty little brass plate on the bottom near the heel so it doesn't touch the ground.

Originally Posted by AlanC
The rarest of thrift finds is to come across what you're actually looking for. Congratulations!

Thanks, and those are the most exciting too. I also got a casual wool winter coat recently for $12. It is just a Murano (dept. store brand) and nothing special, but I have been looking for something like that for several years.

mike

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you tell if this is shell cordovan? Are there any definitive tests? These are a pair of Walk Overs I got for $7. They are indeed stamped "Genuine Cordovan" on the waist, but I swear these looked like corrected grain monstrosities until I saw that stamp on the bottom.

cordo1.JPG

cordo2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads