• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me some jeans to try

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm still searching for the perfect straight leg jean, for me. Basically what I need is something with a roomy but not antifit top block, and straight or slightly tapered leg, not too slim or loose. Here is what I've tried so far:

Earnest Sewn Fulton - perfect fit, but not fond of the denim quality.

Sugar Cane Hawaii - tolerable but too high a rise and too loose in the thighs, they've got that thigh bulge thing going on.

5EP straight rigid - Not bad, but a little to much thigh bulge and a little slim in the lower leg.

5EP lown down boot in one wash resin - top block good, but the legs were too slim.

RRL second generation raw bootcut - (Japanese made with the light leather patch) these would be about perfect if they were a straight leg and maybe slightly looser in the leg.

APC Rescue - sized down two, the top block is good but the leg is a little loose.

Two things that often throw off the fit for me - too low back rise, and too tight in the crotch. I am not a fan of male camel toe.

Japanese denim recommendations are especially what I am looking for. I like slubby denim. I especially like dark denim with a black or brown cast.

I'd have tried the KMW 1950 already, but haven't found anyone who stocks a size 38. That's the hard part, my size really cuts down on selection.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LD Frontier Pant is defnitely worth checking out. I'm a big fan. Long rise, full straight leg (not baggy), with wide hem. Not too flashy with nice details too. 14oz but not slubby denim though. Current Context price is a steal.

Check the measurements on Context. If the legs are too full you may like the Prescott (also at a great price). I think they fit a little closer to the ES Fulton (slimmer).

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I am not a fan of male camel toe.

We prefer moose knuckle...

Not to see it or have it ... but just the name of it.
crackup[1].gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
ALD Frontier Pant is defnitely worth checking out. I'm a big fan. Long rise, full straight leg (not baggy), with wide hem. Not too flashy with nice details too. 14oz but not slubby denim though. Current Context price is a steal.

Check the measurements on Context. If the legs are too full you may like the Prescott (also at a great price). I think they fit a little closer to the ES Fulton (slimmer).

Context links for the ALD jeans are broken...

Thanks for the recommendation on the Nudies, but I am not crazy about the bright orange stitching they use.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Samurai 5000 VX.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eric Stoner
Have you tried Pure Blue ?

Beautiful denim, amongst the slubbiest out there. The XX-003 is a regular fit, might suit your needs.

Check www.blueingreensoho.com

I've been tempted, but there is nowhere in San Francisco to try them on that I know of, and I've read they tend to run tight in the crotch area.

larryr

Reaction score
Do they make the KMW 1980's in 38s?

I have a pair of the RRLs, the only real difference between the 2 are the 1980s are less tapered

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Both of these are at selfedge in san fran

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=210

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=203

The skull and flathead jeans are between slim and relaxed with a nice low(but not to low) rise and nice japanese denim. JPGM has the skulls in question and they work really well.

I don't believe they make them in 38... I haven't even found them in 36. SExIH, however, is made in 38, although you might need it in 40.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads