• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Issue of Classic Style

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just sitting down to read it now . . . like many here, I wasn't enamored with the first issue (a little too "fancy dress party", 1940's for me), but I've stuck with it, and the new issue isn't bad. Nice little article on Allen Edmonds and another on Argyle socks (along with the obligatory shaving article).

But an ad on page 17, for the "Fast Draw" cell phone holder stopped me cold. Sweet Jesus, the sight of the model complete with hat, Rollie Fingers mustache, spectators, awful tie, textured belt and cell phone "holster" has forced me to the liquor cabinet.

Will the Fast Draw be to Classic Style what the ever present Mauri ad was to GQ?

Here ya' go:

www.originalfastdraw.com

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a nice change however, to see Brooks Brothers, Isaia, Paul Stuart, Borelli, and RL Purple Label featured in a pictorial as opposed to Gucci, D&G, and Hugo Boss.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Yeah, the fast draw guy's pretty funny. I guess they figure he's paying for a full page ad. A new magazine's not going to argue much with that.

CS is coming at things from a different angle than SF, certainly, and they have to aim at a wider audience. Still, it's the only such magazine I look forward to now. Men's Vogue is now a disaster after showing initial promise.

What other magazine has articles by Will and Manton?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The newest issue of Men's Vogue seems to be a bit more like the premier . . . pretty enjoyable read. Also the first Brooks "Black Fleece" appearance that I've seen editorially.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That fast draw holster is a great idea, especially wearing it like a concealed weapon holster on th back of your pants. You are out late at night, see a disturbance or are arguing with someone, figure you'll "draw" your cell phone to call the police or whatever and your friendly neighborhood patrolman happens to walk by as you are going for your shiny object that is in the holster and "pop".

Edit: BTW, what is the rise on those pants??

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC

What other magazine has articles by Will and Manton?

...or quotes from you and me, for that matter.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
37" why?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
worship.gif

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Initially I was very interested in the Argyle article, but the reading was so incredibly boring! I apologize if it was written by one of our forumites, but all of the elements were available to compose something interesting and it just fell completely flat.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the issue. I have read it multiple times riding the Metro. Things are definitely improving, each issue seems better than the last. I heartily applaud the decision to switch from FL pictures to the monthly "Bombshell" feature (at least I hope it will be a regular feature) at the end of the magazine. I know the magazine has a ways to go but I am already pretty happy with it. I dropped GQ and Men's Vogue will lapse soon too with no renewal.

N.K.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
I really enjoyed the issue. I have read it multiple times riding the Metro. Things are definitely improving, each issue seems better than the last. I heartily applaud the decision to switch from FL pictures to the monthly "Bombshell" feature (at least I hope it will be a regular feature) at the end of the magazine. I know the magazine has a ways to go but I am already pretty happy with it. I dropped GQ and Men's Vogue will lapse soon too with no renewal.

You would rather read CS than GQ or Vogue? That makes sense. It's a good idea to pass up articles written by world class writers, with photos taken by world class photographers, and really good clothing for...a costume magazine. Maybe you should also drop Esquire and pick up Children's Highlights.

While the last issue was somewhat better, CS still seems like Vanity Press material slapped together by some college kids. The "My Dad's got a barn and Polly can sing, let's put on a show" version of...something. Seriously, this thing can't last long. It's pretty thin and the writings pretty amateurish. Not to mention the photography. Check out the cover; the models pants are so tight the pleats are bulging and he's practically sporting a camel's toe. Poor attention to detail.

As for the holster guy with the specs and the 'stache - oh brother. This magazines going to have about as much appeal to consumer's as a new Buick - not much unless you're at least 69 years old.

N.K.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey go easy on Buicks - especially 1949 Roadmasters! I'm 49 not 69

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by N.K.
and he's practically sporting a camel's toe.

N.K.

I believe the gender appropriate term is moose knuckle.

I just my copy in the mail today and have only flipped through it, but it looks promising.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by N.K.
You would rather read CS than GQ or Vogue? That makes sense. It's a good idea to pass up articles written by world class writers, with photos taken by world class photographers, and really good clothing for...a costume magazine. Maybe you should also drop Esquire and pick up Children's Highlights.

Does being needlessly ill-spirited provide you a sensation of self-affirmation? You should try the real thing some time.

Wait, GQ isn't a costume magazine?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads