• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlonzoMosely
"...as the old fashioned UK system RMW uses only introduces increases in lengths when you go up a whole size (half sizes just run a width wider)... I left these options out as it just gets way too complicated"

This piece of information would have saved me ~$300 after I threw away my size 11s which were just a little too short and ordered 11.5s thinking they would be a perfect fit but ended up still hurting my toes...

I shall never again order a shoe I have not tried on.

I have only just discovered it. I notice however that it does not hold true for Edward Green. Then again I have been wondering for a while if they use a US sizing system with the stamped UK size being a conversion of the US size.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. i too wish I'd known that sooner. It explains why my 11.5Gs and 11Hs fit so similarly.
plain.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I wish I had discovered that fact sooner as well. I really do. I read it somewhere that UK shoe sizing did work that way and low and behold it was true of RMW boots. Trust me, I was really surprised. This is the real reason for the change in my sizing guide. It also explains my previous observations about RMW boots running a bit short.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Yes. I wish I had discovered that fact sooner as well. I really do.

I read it somewhere that UK shoe sizing did work that way and low and behold it was true of RMW boots. Trust me, I was really surprised. This is real reason for the change in my sizing guide. It also explains my previous observations about RMW boots running a bit short.

It's a remarkably useful piece of information nonetheless. Thanks for digging it up, Sator. Yet another unique contribution to come out of a terrific thread.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I new it all after spending hours measuring and remeasuring different size boots - until I was ready to go mad and was utterly convinced they had no more secrets to give up. Then this!
crazy.gif

I currently have a pair of 9C, B529 last, brass screwed boots on order from Steve. I usually wear 7.5E (snug) to 7.5F (medium fit) and I will be very interested in seeing how my experiment works out. I know I can wear 8.5C in Allen Edmonds Nr 5 last shoes and the resultant length/width should be pretty similar.

TheOneTrueMatt

Reaction score
Ok so I've had my RMWs for a couple weeks now (only worn them out once or twice) and I'm fairly sure they are not the right size. If they were going to break in enough to not feel excessively tight on my feet I think they would have done so by now. I'm going to be in NYC next week, and I'm gonna go to the RMW store and try on whatever I can to hopefully find my ideal size before I reorder, but in the meantime...

Anyone interested in a barely worn pair of Chestnut Craftsman (Yearling leather) in size 8F? I'm sure we can work out a good price, as It's been a few weeks so I won't really notice the loss, and there are scuffs on the sole because I did wear them out of the apartment a couple times thinking they'd stretch to be comfortable. PM me and I can take pics or whatever.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a description of how these should feel in the ideal size. As in, I can tell if they're too big but I obviously had trouble telling when they were too small. And my outer toes seem to hit the side of the toe-box a little, when walking, but I don't know if that's a length or width issue, and the new discovery about half sizes really makes it more confusing. Does this mean an 8.5F would be the same as an 8G? I thought I needed one of those sizes but if they're actually the same...I am confused.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheOneTrueMatt
Ok so I've had my RMWs for a couple weeks now (only worn them out once or twice) and I'm fairly sure they are not the right size. If they were going to break in enough to not feel excessively tight on my feet I think they would have done so by now. I'm going to be in NYC next week, and I'm gonna go to the RMW store and try on whatever I can to hopefully find my ideal size before I reorder, but in the meantime...

Anyone interested in a barely worn pair of Chestnut Craftsman (Yearling leather) in size 8F? I'm sure we can work out a good price, as It's been a few weeks so I won't really notice the loss, and there are scuffs on the sole because I did wear them out of the apartment a couple times thinking they'd stretch to be comfortable. PM me and I can take pics or whatever.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a description of how these should feel in the ideal size. As in, I can tell if they're too big but I obviously had trouble telling when they were too small. And my outer toes seem to hit the side of the toe-box a little, when walking, but I don't know if that's a length or width issue, and the new discovery about half sizes really makes it more confusing. Does this mean an 8.5F would be the same as an 8G? I thought I needed one of those sizes but if they're actually the same...I am confused.

For reference, what size do you wear in AE Park Avenue?

TheOneTrueMatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
For reference, what size do you wear in AE Park Avenue?

Well, here's the thing. I measure a 9.5D, and the guy at AE ended up fitting me for a 9C. Hence my ordering an 8F in RMWs. I once tried on an 8G in RMW last time I was in NYC and they felt fine, but at the time I wouldn't trust myself to not buy shoes too large since I wasn't familiar w/the idea of good shoes being snug to stretch at first. My ankles are really narrow, but the ball of my foot is wide (hence 9.5D but some regular width shoes allowing too much heel movement).

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, here's the thing. I measure a 9.5D, and the guy at AE ended up fitting me for a 9C. ........My ankles are really narrow, but the ball of my foot is wide (hence 9.5D but some regular width shoes allowing too much heel movement).

that's pretty confusing. So the 9C Park Avenue fits great for you?

rabbity

Reaction score

Don't know if it helps but I bought a pair of Chestnut Turnouts in 8.5 G recently when I usually take a 9. First 2 weeks they felt too narrow around the middle and were really pinching. Kept with it and went for a few walks and they are fine now.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I have only just discovered it. I notice however that it does not hold true for Edward Green. Then again I have been wondering for a while if they use a US sizing system with the stamped UK size being a conversion of the US size.

My sincere compliments to stator on correcting his guide. think his contributions here are outstanding. And im glad he turned us on to this outstanding made brand. I am starting to get concerned here myself. I aded these comments as an aid to help anyone else considerng a purchase.

I normally wear a 9D park avenue. AFter trying on a few pairs at the nyc store i ordered an 8F yearling comfort craftsman. I currently breaking that pair in. The first couple of wears were foolproof. Quite comfortable. I wore them today and now the large toe box seems to rub a bit. Now im not sure if got the right size either..lol

Funny but as posted above I also recieved a forum special from nungar.These are a 8.5F. I was hoping they would be a bit longer. I have not worn these outside yet as im hoping to see what goes with the yearling.

I think the bottom line here is that you need to determine if rubbing is lenght or width issue. For myself, now im wondering if i should have tried the FSM in the 9.

TheOneTrueMatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
that's pretty confusing. So the 9C Park Avenue fits great for you?

That's what the AE sales guy said, and it certainly felt the most snug all around. I think the only reason the D was too wide in AEs was because of my narrow heels, so there was heel movement that there shouldn't be.

Originally Posted by rabbity
Don't know if it helps but I bought a pair of Chestnut Turnouts in 8.5 G recently when I usually take a 9. First 2 weeks they felt too narrow around the middle and were really pinching. Kept with it and went for a few walks and they are fine now.

That's kind of what I'm hoping will happen, but I'm afraid to put too much wear on them incase I need to sell them, and you really don't get much break-in out of sitting around the house in them. Also I noticed on the two walks I did take in them they always felt tight at first but sometimes while walking were fine. But then it felt like my toes (just the outside ones) were maybe bumping the toe box a little (but again on the side so still don't know if it's really a length issue), so I'm not 100% sure whether it's more of a width or length thing. It's also possible that I was simply paying too much attention to my feet and if I just didn't think about them so much while walking they might be fine. Well, I'm going to try some diff sizes on at RMW in NYC this week, and when I get back I'll try to give the ones I have a little more chance to break in before I sell them.

Murray

Reaction score
I have just received a quote from Steve at Nungar Trading for a MTO Stockmans Buckle Boot in Whiskey. Do you blokes reckon that it would look alright, or would you suggest that the Craftsman is the better way to go?

minimal

Reaction score
I see bootsonline has reduced their RM Williams prices a bit, they imply you have to use this link:

And they have a *terrific* custom model: chesnut with bone elastics and a natural sole. (You may have to go through the above link to get the reduced prices.)

p.s. I'm not affiliated with bootsonline in any way, though I was a satisfied customer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads