• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surcingle belt with a suit

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
no, it is a particular weave that resembles a seatbelt.

When I was younger, I had fabric belts with leather ends, but I can't remember what the fabric was. Probably cotton. It's possible they were the same thing.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I associate them exclusively with old men in poly-blend slacks. Old men are sometimes trad, but sometimes an old man is just an old man, man.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
So a surcingle belt is any belt with a fabric body and leather ends?

I'm no expert, but I think it also has to have a traditional belt buckle, rather than a d-ring (the nylon d ring belts are ribbon belts, while the cotton or other cloth d-ring belts I just hear referred to as d ring belts or d ring web belts). The cloth on a surcingle belt is either cotton or wool. Wool seems to be harder to find these days.

For whatever reason, J Press (on their website) does not classify their critter belts (similar to the lobster belt above) as surcingle, although the design is identical save the "critter" in question.

I like the surcingle belt with a suit. I own three surcingles in khaki, navy, and olive. I need to pick up a red one at some point. I also have several ribbon belts. They're fun to wear in the summer. I have a d ring whale belt, too. I wouldn't wear the ribbon belts or the whale belt with a suit.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, it is a particular weave that resembles a seatbelt.

Yes, and this too.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Based on what I am reading, I guess I would think they are OK with a cotton or linen suit, but probably not with wool. I think I would still go with leather in most cases. Perhaps it is, however, the perfect belt to wear with a calf and twill spectator shoe.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I associate them exclusively with old men in poly-blend slacks. Old men are sometimes trad, but sometimes an old man is just an old man, man.

For the record, I'm 37. Perhaps I dress like an old man, though I have no poly-blend slacks.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
I don't really like this look at least not for a work environment. It seems to me that both belts and shoes should be made out of leather or at least leather like material for professional purposes.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
I don't really like this look at least not for a work environment. It seems to me that both belts and shoes should be made out of leather or at least leather like material for professional purposes.
Welcome back my friend.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782

That's my dad! And he has a belt just like Matt's.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
Welcome back my friend.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Thank you for the warm welcome but this is my first day posting on the forum. I hope that I can contribute something worthwhile to the discussions on the forum particularly those about business dress and professional conduct in the workplace.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Tying the tie so that the rear blade is longer than the front is Neapolitan. Matt has become quite affected from his sojurns, hasn't he. I bet he drinks espresso and says "Cia bello" after he burps now, too.
Here you go philistine:
Originally Posted by Will
It may not be to everyone's personal taste but the rear blade of a necktie is perfectly proper tied longer than the front so the front blade falls to the waistband. When the rear is tucked into the trouser, the necktie is held in place but has enough play to sway a bit as you walk. For precedent, see Flusser's Style and the Man. See also jacket open photos of the late Duke of Windsor who had his neckties made to measure and did it nonetheless.
Most of my ties are either going to be too long with a 4ih, or have one of those big knots which I so dislike if I wrap the tie before I tie it. This way works better.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
Thank you for the warm welcome but this is my first day posting on the forum. I hope that I can contribute something worthwhile to the discussions on the forum particularly those about business dress and professional conduct in the workplace.

crackup[1].gif
Did someone sponsor you K-man?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
no, they pronounce it ah-meehr-i-can-ata
Tu vuò fa' Napoletano?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To me, a tie tucked into the waistband just looks like you didn't pay attention last time you went to the bathroom, no matter what i napolitani say.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Tu vuò fa' Napoletano?
salutame a sorate
Originally Posted by grimslade
To me, a tie tucked into the waistband just looks like you didn't pay attention last time you went to the bathroom, no matter what i napolitani say.
I don't think that you will find anybody in Naples with their ties tucked in. They are busy making sure that they can get the biggest knot possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads