• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grilling Steak

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
The best places have hell temperature ovens and grills that can sear like nobody's business. Even most of the best home grills are no match unfortunately.

Oh, I don't know about that -- my grill gets over 600 degrees F, which seems to do nicely.

But I'm not one of those guys who refuses to order steak in the better restaurants, either.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Considering my fridge is set at about 35 degrees, I think the difference in a thick steak would be significant if I just pulled it out and slapped it on the grill.

I have done it both ways and can't tell any noticeable difference in cooking time, taste, etc. This is the way steakhouses do it, for convenience, safety of the meat, and so on. If you notice a difference, cool, no big deal either way.

To be honest I have never had a restaurant steak, even at up to $50-60 a pop that could compare with the best results I've gotten on my home grill. Maybe I've never been to a really good steakhouse, but I've been to quite a few of the ones that claim to be.
The best steakhouses have ovens/grills that can get much hotter than most home grills, and that is key in cooking a thick steak. Not saying at all that it can't be done at home, and not disputing your experiences, but I've never made a steak at home that was as good as ones I've had from Del Frisco's, Peter Luger, Bobby Flay Steak, and so on. I've gotten close with a great cut of meat and cooking it just right with the right amount of heat.

Also, leaving any steak on 3 minutes and not flipping it would murder it IMO. I don't care if the grill lines look nice personally, but if I really did I would rotate it after maybe 1 minute, then flip after another minute. For most steaks more than 3-4 minutes total on the first side is way too much IMO unless they are ultra thick or your grill is set low.
You must like your steak rare.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you need to leave it on 3-4 minutes a side because you grill it straight out of the fridge.
smile.gif

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my mom and dad were out at friends' BBQ tonight, and I had a craving for steak, so I decided to grill my own on the BBQ for the first time. This was my very first attempt at making steak of any kind, and I must say I am quite proud of my 'virgin steak', all thanks to this thread! Next time I think I could take it off the grill 30 seconds or so earlier to get it medium rare; not sure if the pics show it, but it was more of a medium and I like my steak a TAD rarer... Anyways, here's results along with garlic roasted asparagus I also made and mashed potatoes my brother made.
n116202530_31255966_6718.jpg
n116202530_31255967_6990.jpg
n116202530_31255968_7248.jpg
What I did: - Rubbed down room-temperature rib-eye steak with minced garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper - Sprayed grill with PAM - Preheated propane grill on HIGH to ~550-600F - Threw steaks on - Didn't touch for 1 min - Rotated steak, didn't touch for 1.5min - Flipped steak, turned down heat - Waited ~2, took temperature, waited another 45 seconds or so - Removed from heat, put on metal grill, let sit for ~3 minutes - Placed on pre-warmed dinner plate, enjoyed

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads