• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moskva Metro stations

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has ever been to Moskva and witnessed their subway stations in person; if so, how are they? I must say that I admire them for their metro stations
blush.gif

Moscow-Metro_station.jpg

JB

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
did we have a thread about this recently or did I read it somewhere else? They apparently have a very good public transit system. A funny thing they have - apparently a left-over from the communist era - is a guy that stands in a booth all day telling people to walk faster, squish together more, etc.

Tiranis

Reaction score
It's pretty much the same thing in Sankt Petersburg and only some of the stations look like that. ******* communists used to spend money on anything but their people.

As for public transit in Russia, it's ok... not anything revolutionary. I would say that the one in NYC or San Francisco is much better organized and much more efficient. From former USSR the best transit system is in Prague, you can get anywhere you want from any part of the city at any time and it's very cheap.

Trilby

Reaction score
Some of the stations are truly spectacular. Just don't ask too many questions about the working conditions when the Metro was built.

I also agree that Prague has a very efficient Metro system - but it lacks the grandeur of the Moscow stations.

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trilby
Some of the stations are truly spectacular. Just don't ask too many questions about the working conditions when the Metro was built.

Yeah, definitely. It's always better not to ask questions about reliability of stuff in Russia... it makes your life easier. Mainly because there's hardly any maintenance being done on the older stuff and when it comes to new stuff, the quality is sub-par.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a book about Stalinist architecture where they talk about building those metro stations. Apparently some of the mosaics were done by the master craftsman--artisans if you will--left over from the Tsarist era.

Very high quality stuff, which is somewhat surprising considering the origins are Soviet.

tundrafour

Reaction score
LabelKing, would you mind sharing the title of the book?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have a book about Stalinist architecture where they talk about building those metro stations. Apparently some of the mosaics were done by the master craftsman--artisans if you will--left over from the Tsarist era.

Very high quality stuff, which is somewhat surprising considering the origins are Soviet.

Russia never wanted for artists or artisans. The problem was that a lot of them were not appreciated under the Communist regime. The quality of art and architectural design was always high.

I think what surprises a lot of people is accepting that both shoddily made utilitarian goods and worldclass art, music, literature and so forth could co-exist under the Soviet regime.

Condor

Reaction score
Did you notice a) the thickness of the subway doors and
b) the depth of the subway underground?

The whole thing is a fallout shelter in case the Capitalists attack
bounce2.gif

Jazz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Russia never wanted for artists or artisans. The problem was that a lot of them were not appreciated under the Communist regime. The quality of art and architectural design was always high.

I think what surprises a lot of people is accepting that both shoddily made utilitarian goods and worldclass art, music, literature and so forth could co-exist under the Soviet regime.

Maybe the world class stuff existed because of the shoddy stuff
blush.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to Moscow, but I've been to Saint Petersburg and rode the metro every day when I was there. There stations are much more impressive than the NYC subway (which I also rode every day for three years) in that they are much bigger and cleaner. This is basically part of the wholse communist philosophy of making things appear grand so that people think their country is prosperous.

The cool thing that they had that the NYC subway doesn't have is a little clock in each station telling you when the next train is going to come. The closest thing NYC has to that is a voice over the loudspeaker saying: "there is a northbound A train approaching the 34th street station."

But, on the other hand, the NYC subway has a lot more trains and a lot more stations, so travelling it is more convenient.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

i can't believe you said, "stuff."

it's like i don't know you anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads