• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm getting fat.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Sure, it's a great way to be skinny fat with zero muscle tone, IF you can stick to the diet.

Nah. I`ve been just eating healthy since I was born, and I have none of the problems with skinny fat or the zero muscle tone that you guys keep brining up. Keep in mind that there are a lot of fat, chubby people lifting weights too.

At 19, I never felt the need to pump weights or do extra activity. My naturally active life took care of my body. I partied heavily on weekends (and still do) and never worry about stomach fat.

Maybe in ten years or so, I will have to re-think all of this (I am 35 now), but since I was 19 until now, I am doing just fine eating normally (which means healthy) and doing the normal activities that a young man should be doing.

It is news to me that you have to lift weights to have a lean (or thin) body with muscle.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Nah. I`ve been just eating healthy since I was born, and I have none of the problems with skinny fat or the zero muscle tone that you guys keep brining up. Keep in mind that there are a lot of fat, chubby people lifting weights too.

At 19, I never felt the need to pump weights or do extra activity. My naturally active life took care of my body. I partied heavily on weekends (and still do) and never worry about stomach fat.

Maybe in ten years or so, I will have to re-think all of this (I am 35 now), but since I was 19 until now, I am doing just fine eating normally (which means healthy) and doing the normal activities that a young man should be doing.

It is news to me that you have to lift weights to have a lean (or thin) body with muscle.

People have different genetics. Some are able to have a high level of muscle tone without carrying much fat and without weight training. The vast majority of people are not. My opinion is that the OP is does not possess these genetics, and would therefore benefit from resistance training.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
People have different genetics. Some are able to have a high level of muscle tone without carrying much fat and without weight training. The vast majority of people are not. My opinion is that the OP is does not possess these genetics, and would therefore benefit from resistance training.
Exactly--I have to lift hard and consistently just to maintain what for most guys would be "normal" muscle mass if I'm doing any cardio and eating less than about 3000 calories a day. To actually gain muscle, I have to eat much, much more, and cut down a lot on cardio; and if I just do "normal" activities and "eat healthy", I go skinny-fat in no time flat. Then there are people like Amare Stoudemire, who the training staff of the Suns have told to STOP lifting entirely because he will get *too big*--while playing as a professional basketball player, which is more than a little cardio. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another. Connemara, from his pics, looks to be closer to my body type than Amare Stoudemire's.
laugh.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand. I am not saying that weight training is bad or anything. Of course there are great benefits to lifting weights.

My point is just that at ONLY 19, he doesn`t have to worry so much about working out. The reason for his stomach buldge, is most likely from bad eating habits, and daily laziness in the first place, so just fixing those points should do the trick, since he is so young. If he was older, like 39, then he would probably need more help in addition to just living healthy.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand. I am not saying that weight training is bad or anything. Of course there are great benefits to lifting weights.

My point is just that at ONLY 19, he doesn`t have to worry so much about working out. The reason for his stomach buldge, is most likely from bad eating habits, and daily laziness in the first place, so just fixing those points should do the trick, since he is so young. If he was older, like 39, then he would probably need more help in addition to just living healthy.

Certainly he can lose weight without weight training, but it will be difficult to maintain the same weight without dieting constantly unless he incorporates some resistance training into his regimen, at least that seems to be the case from his genetics.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I guess, but why not go for the best of both worlds? You're 19, your body will recover faster and you'll build muscle easier, why not start developing good habits now, and in the process build a better body?

I would have to agree. Everyone no matter what the age can benefit from exercise. At 19, he shouldn't have any problems lifting moderate weight with good form with an eccentric format. And if anyone needs to estalish a better healthy lifestyle it's our 'frat' boy lifestyle connie!!!
laugh.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly he can lose weight without weight training, but it will be difficult to maintain the same weight without dieting constantly unless he incorporates some resistance training into his regimen, at least that seems to be the case from his genetics.

With his genetics, does he have to continue lifting weights constantly to maintain the same weight?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With his genetics, does he have to continue lifting weights constantly to maintain the same weight?

It depends, but not to the same degree as a diet etc. A solid weightlifting regimen over a period of time, say 3-6 months, will build a solid core of lean muscle mass. Even if you stop lifting as consistently or at all, and simply supplement this with body weight exercises, or not, your metabolism will stay above baseline for much longer then if you lost the weight through cardio/diet. Eventually you'll lose muscle mass if you don't use it, but you can go a number of years without lifting and get back to a high level of lifting potential in a very short time (I did this after going abroad for several years) because of muscle memory.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends, but not to the same degree as a diet etc. A solid weightlifting regimen over a period of time, say 3-6 months, will build a solid core of lean muscle mass. Even if you stop lifting as consistently or at all, and simply supplement this with body weight exercises, or not, your metabolism will stay above baseline for much longer then if you lost the weight through cardio/diet. Eventually you'll lose muscle mass if you don't use it, but you can go a number of years without lifting and get back to a high level of lifting potential in a very short time (I did this after going abroad for several years) because of muscle memory.

I agree with what you are saying about the benefits of weight lifting, but still think that it is not really necessary unless you enjoy it as a hobby.

The reason is because I am not talking about DIET in a sense of limiting calories or going without eating, etc. I am just talking about eating normally, which is in a healthy manner. If you do that and incorporate it into your lifestyle, it does not matter what kind of genetics, etc.

IF weight lifting is required to keep the stomach flat or body lean, then that means you have to continue doing it your whole life. This does not sound normal or natural to me.

Also, I do not think that a 19 year old needs a BOOST in metabolism by lifting weights or whatever method anyway. A 19 year old should have a high enough metabolism to remain in good shape if he lives a normal, healthy lifestyle.

When he becomes 39 or something and starts having trouble maintaining his body like a 19 year old, then maybe he will need to put in extra effort with more physical activity like weights or strenuous sports.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The reason is because I am not talking about DIET in a sense of limiting calories or going without eating, etc. I am just talking about eating normally, which is in a healthy manner. If you do that and incorporate it into your lifestyle, it does not matter what kind of genetics, etc.

That's not really true. Some people have a slow metabolism and won't lose weight or will gain weight when eating a "healthy" diet. Some people have a fast metabolism and will be thin regardless of what they eat. Generalizing on metabolism based on age is dangerous and inaccurate. There are plenty of obese people who are 19, and many of them don't even eat that much.

IF weight lifting is required to keep the stomach flat or body lean, then that means you have to continue doing it your whole life. This does not sound normal or natural to me.
Weight lifting isn't required for weight loss, but helps in maintaining weight loss and is necessary to achieve muscle tone for the vast majority of individuals.

Also, I do not think that a 19 year old needs a BOOST in metabolism by lifting weights or whatever method anyway. A 19 year old should have a high enough metabolism to remain in good shape if he lives a normal, healthy lifestyle.
Again, this is a blanket statement that you shouldn't be making.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not really true. Some people have a slow metabolism and won't lose weight or will gain weight when eating a "healthy" diet. Some people have a fast metabolism and will be thin regardless of what they eat. Generalizing on metabolism based on age is dangerous and inaccurate. There are plenty of obese people who are 19, and many of them don't even eat that much.

Weight lifting isn't required for weight loss, but helps in maintaining weight loss and is necessary to achieve muscle tone for the vast majority of individuals.

Again, this is a blanket statement that you shouldn't be making.

Sure, but we are not really talking about some rare, special case.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure, but we are not really talking about some rare, special case.

It isn't rare for people's metabolism to slow when they are leaving their teens...

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't rare for people's metabolism to slow when they are leaving their teens...
laugh.gif
Since you make it sound like he is a special case, I had to go back and look through his posts to see what he looks like! To me, it looks like he is sitting on the couch, being lazy, with a drink in his hand
lol8[1].gif
You can even see the evidence of this buldge that he is concerned about, but it does not look like he has some special body or genetics that requires a weight lifting regimen for 6 months or more. He even says in his original post that he has been thin all his life, which probably means he does not have these special genetics, or a slow metabolism. Most likely, he is probably just a normal guy who went through some lifestyle changes in the last couple years, which resulted in this slight buldge that we are talking about.
conne3vl3.jpg
Slightly unrelated, but keeping with the sartorial theme of this board, don`t forget that packing on too much mass makes it more difficult to fit into the nice jackets we always talk about. Unless he is planning on going bespoke, it is better to keep the muscle mass to an average level, rather than trying to build up. Actually, even if you go bespoke it becomes difficult to tailor for the guys with a lot of bulging muscle mass. Same goes for thighs and pants. Tailoring-wise, the bulging stomach is actually not much of a problem.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Slightly unrelated, but keeping with the sartorial theme of this board, don`t forget that packing on too much mass makes it more difficult to fit into the nice jackets we always talk about. Unless he is planning on going bespoke, it is better to keep the muscle mass to an average level, rather than trying to build up. Actually, even if you go bespoke it becomes difficult to tailor for the guys with a lot of bulging muscle mass. Same goes for thighs and pants. Tailoring-wise, the bulging stomach is actually not much of a problem.

Another misconception, is that people will get HUGE after a few months of lifting. Take a look at the pictures of Saucemaster in WAYWN, who i would guess has been lifting weights for more than six months, obviously huge, huh?

Regarding your other point, it's possible that he's simply a normal guy in terms of metabolism, but need I point out that the average man in the US is 20 pounds overweight? A combination of diet, cardio, and resistance training will help maintain a fit and toned physique and minimize the wild fluctuations in weight that you'll see with more traditional diet programs.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Another misconception, is that people will get HUGE after a few months of lifting. Take a look at the pictures of Saucemaster in WAYWN, who i would guess has been lifting weights for more than six months, obviously huge, huh?

LOL--I may be a bad example, because I'm probably an outlier, but yeah, two and a half years of lifting and a few gaining/cutting cycles haven't exactly left me looking like The Hulk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads