• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm getting fat.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Ok, I'm going to cut out the ****** sugary snacks. Do these foods sound good?

-Figs.
-Bananas.
-Organic deli meats (turkey, prosciutto, ham and chicken salad mostly).
-Oatmeal.
-Potatoes.
-Meats/chicken breasts for dinner.
-Various other fruits n' veggies.

I really want a bacon egg and cheese sandwich right now.
frown.gif

Trade apples for bananas as your main fruit.

If you want prosciutto and bacon on a diet, cut out the carbs altogether and go for it.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I'm still appling a one thousand concentric with 2 to 4 thousand eccentric with drop down to stimulate type II muscle twitch hypertrophy and to hit fast and slow twitch muscle fibers while minimizing injury.

I just read this sentence five times in a row and am still scratching my head.
laugh.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Oh yea, and organic doesn't mean healthier. While it certainly seems like it'd be better for you, testing and other long term research is still happening, and especially for weight loss, it means nothing. For you, there is no difference between organic, natural, and other meats/foods. Worry about the calories, fat content, carbs, fiber, etc... not food buzz words.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Actually being young is the best time to lift weights, as your testosterone levels are higher than later in life.

Well, his original post says his main concern was his ballooning stomach. Weight lifting does not address that problem.

You don`t have to lift weights to be thin anyway. At such a young age like 19, you should be able to live a normal healthy life, still enjoy a few drinks at weekend parties, and remain in good shape.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Well, his original post says his main concern was his ballooning stomach. Weight lifting does not address that problem.

Yes it does. A well thought out weigh lifting routine in addition to a solid diet and some cardio (or sports) is the only surefire way to make noticable changes in body composition (fat weight vs. muscle/lean weight). One can be thin and still spots a "beer bum"; skinny fat people are everywhere now.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Yes it does. A well thought out weigh lifting routine in addition to a solid diet and some cardio (or sports) is the only surefire way to make noticable changes in body composition (fat weight vs. muscle/lean weight). One can be thin and still spots a "beer bum"; skinny fat people are everywhere now.

I wouldn't say weightlifting is the "only surefire way to make noticable changes in body composition", but it does help you retain a greater percentage of lean tissue when cutting weight.

Pim

Reaction score
I quit drinking beer and that helped me alot, at my frat the baco(lights..) are only 3$ but if you go to clubs 3/4 times a week I can imagine that doesn't work. If we go to a club we just get a mildly drunk at home and only have a few of the 20$ baco's
wink.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I wouldn't say weightlifting is the "only surefire way to make noticable changes in body composition", but it does help you retain a greater percentage of lean tissue when cutting weight.

I actually would agree with that if you're talking about long term changes in body composition. The problem with cardio and diet fueled weight loss is the fact that your metabolism is decreased because the amount of lean body mass you carry is typically decreased, meaning that you need to eat less and less and exercise more and more to stay the same weight or continue losses. This is why we have all these threads where people are saying "How do I lose those last five pounds?" The simple fact is that weight is just a number, and really not that important in the overall scheme of things, while BF% is going to play a bigger role in your appearance. Lifting weights will allow you to have lower BF% and increase your metabolism, making "weight loss" easier and more permanent.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked

In other words, you really don`t need the weight lifting. Just stick with the healthy diet and do a little sports.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
In other words, you really don`t need the weight lifting. Just stick with the healthy diet and do a little sports.

Well, you don't really NEED the cardio, either, if you really want to get down to it--you could just starve yourself and be done with it. The question's what kind of results you want. If you want strength and muscle definition, some kind of resistance training is going to be essential, unless you have incredibly good genetics.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think he meant cardio or sports, not sports in lieu of weight training. Doing sports is not going to build muscle the same way weightlifting is, unless you're doing something like strongman competitions. Many sports are going to require weight training to participate in a competitive manner in any case (unless you're Herschel Walker)

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think he meant cardio or sports, not sports in lieu of weight training. Doing sports is not going to build muscle the same way weightlifting is, unless you're doing something like strongman competitions. Many sports are going to require weight training to participate in a competitive manner in any case (unless you're Herschel Walker)

That's exactly what I meant. Unless you include competitive football, basketball or lacrosse into your "a little sports" category.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Well, you don't really NEED the cardio, either, if you really want to get down to it--you could just starve yourself and be done with it. The question's what kind of results you want. If you want strength and muscle definition, some kind of resistance training is going to be essential, unless you have incredibly good genetics.

I agree.

At 19, you don`t need weight lifting or cardio. You just need to eat healthy. That`s what I have been saying.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I agree.

At 19, you don`t need weight lifting or cardio. You just need to eat healthy. That`s what I have been saying.

I guess, but why not go for the best of both worlds? You're 19, your body will recover faster and you'll build muscle easier, why not start developing good habits now, and in the process build a better body?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree.

Sure, it's a great way to be skinny fat with zero muscle tone, IF you can stick to the diet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads